World gone crazy.

unchecked idealism has always been a challenge for higher education. Real enduring truths are born out of idealism and formed by application. This guy is obviously stuck in his own head--try applying his ideas in our world. We'd be facing anarchy. Democracy has been one of the most idealistic and revolutionary concepts of the human race, and for the most part it works very well. I would really like to sit down with this guy and hear him out. It is hard to imagine that these were more than misguided incendiary comments. Even if he's really not that feeble-minded, he still demonstrated negligently poor judgement the likes of which should never be tolerated at an University.

Originally posted by NeoNSX:
thanx... but actually u American's rock (esp. baghdad at the moment
biggrin.gif
)

BTW, neon makes me sound like a flurolight... MY NAME IS NEO!
wink.gif

Hehe, I was thinking more like this.
biggrin.gif

For those inclined to write...

Name: NICHOLAS PAUL DE GENOVA
Title: ASST PROF
Dept: ANTHROPOLOGY
Mail Addr: DEPT OF ANTHROPOLOGY
416 Hamilton Hall, Mail Code 2880
1130 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027
Phone: MS 4-0199 +1 212-854-0199
Fax: +1 212-854-0500
UNI: npd18
EMail: [email protected]

ALSO...

President of Columbia
Name: LEE C BOLLINGER
Mail Addr: 202 LOW LIBRARY
mail code 4309
Phone: MS 4-9970
+1 212-854-9970
UNI: lcb50
E-mail: [email protected]

Also, the dept. chair...
NICHOLAS B. DIRKS, Professor and Chair
Telephone: (212) 854-7785
Office: 960 Schermerhorn Ext.
E-mail: [email protected]

Well, there's always France. I heard that one out three are rooting for Saddam to win the war.

-J

Here's a French joke:

Another History Lesson...

A long time ago, Britain and France were at war.

During one battle, the French captured an English major.

Taking the major to their headquarters, the French general began to question him.

The French general asked, "Why do you English officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at?"

In his bland English way, the major informed the general that the reason English officers wear red coats is so that if they are shot, the blood won't show and the men they are leading won't panic.

And that is why from that day to now all French Army officers wear brown pants!

silent religious debate

this comes to mind...

###############

Several centuries ago, the Pope decreed that all the Jews had to convert or leave Italy. There was a huge outcry from the Jewish community, so the Pope offered a deal. He would have a religious debate with a leader of the Jewish community. If the Jews won, they could stay in Italy, if the Pope won, they would have to leave.

The Jewish people met and picked an aged but wise Rabbi, Moishe, to represent them in the debate. However, as Moishe spoke no Italian and the Pope spoke no Yiddish, they all agreed that it would be a "silent" debate.

On the chosen day, the Pope and Rabbi Moishe sat opposite each other for a full minute before the Pope raised his hand and showed three fingers. Rabbi Moishe looked back and raised one finger.

Next the Pope waved his finger around his head. Rabbi Moishe pointed to the ground where he sat.

The Pope then brought out a communion wafer and a chalice of wine. Rabbi Moishe pulled out an apple.

With that, the Pope stood up and declared that he was beaten, that Rabbi Moishe was too clever and that the Jews could stay.

Later, the Cardinals met with the Pope, asking what had happened.

The Pope said, "First I held up three fingers to represent the
Trinity.

He responded by holding up one finger to remind me that there is
still only one God common to both our beliefs.

Then, I waved my finger to show him that God was all around us. He responded by pointing to the ground to show that God was also right here with us.

I pulled out the wine and wafer to show that God absolves us of all our sins. He pulled out an apple to remind me of the original sin.

He had me beaten and I could not continue."

Meanwhile the Jewish community were gathered around Rabbi Moishe.

"What happened?" they asked.

"Well," said Moishe, "First he said to me that we had three days to get out of Italy, so I said to him, 'Up yours!'"

Then he tells me that the whole country would be cleared of Jews and I said to him, "Mr. Pope, we're staying right here."

"And then what," asked a woman.

"Who knows?" said Moishe, "he took out his lunch, so I took out mine."

I was surprised to receive the following email response from Columbia U. President Lee Bollinger today, and thought I'd share. I still respectfully disagree with him on the free speech issue, but I'm impressed that he took the time to respond, and rather promptly at that. I'm sure his inbox was flooded with messages.

--
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 12:11:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Nicholas De Genova's comments

I want to acknowledge your email message concerning Assistant Professor De Genova's remarks. I am appalled by his outrageous comments. I want to assure you that his comments in no way represent my views nor anyone with whom I have spoken at the University. His comments were not made in a classroom, but rather at a teach-in, at which the University does not prescribe what is said or who speaks.

Assistant Professor De Genova was exercising his freedom of speech when he made those remarks. However, free speech does not insulate him from criticism. Our faculty and students have not been silent in their denunciation of his remarks.

While Nicholas De Genova's words properly invite anger and sharp rebuke, there are few things more precious on any University campus than freedom of thought and expression. That is the teaching of the First Amendment and I believe it should be the principle we live by at Columbia University.

I appreciate your adding your voice to those who have expressed their opinions. At a time of war, when American troops are in harm's way, his comments are especially disturbing. I am particularly saddened for the families of those whose lives are at risk and who must endure the pain provoked by his statements.

Sincerely,

Lee C. Bollinger
President, Columbia University

Free Speech?!

Freedom of speech, eh?

I do wonder if the outcome would have been different if this Professor would have called for the death and slaughter of African-Americans, or Jews, or teachers. So, what's next?

Or what if this professor supported child molestation and NAMBLA? Is that free speech that should be protected too?

At what point does hate speech overrule freedom of speech? Somehow, someway there has to be a consequence to such speech. DeGenova wasn't a tenured professor.

Bollinger could easily fire his butt. And that would be a reasonable consequence in my opinion.

I can only hope that Columbia University enrollment drops significantly. I can only hope that parents refuse to send their children to such a sick environment.

Unfortunately, it often seems that financial repercussions are the only way to settle the score and set things right.

-J

I really don't understand the University's response in that e-mail. It is not as though anyone thinks this teacher should be arrested and sent to jail. We obviously know and believe in the freedom of speech.

I am sure most of us want to see Columbia fire him or al least demote him to a position where he will not have a public forum where he can spew his hateful rhetoric.

Just because we are protected by the first amendment does not mean we can say anything we want without repercushions. It just means the government cannot prosecute you for speaking your mind...whatever it may be.

It is well within Columbia's rights to fire this guy. They did not. I have less respect for the University because of it.

O'Reilly had a student from his class on yesterday. A real hotty. Anyway, she said it was kind of out of character for the guy.

While it was not in class, it was at a school sponsored function. The axe should fall in the worst way on this clown.

Personally, I do not understand this "freedom of speech, freedom from consequences" attitude many of the Liberal types have. Want to spout off about your personal issues? Super! Be ready to assume responsibility for the fallout.

JMO

Absolutely tragic. No way this flies anywhere in the workplace, unless a professor on campus at a campus event is no longer representing the university. One more example of the differences between academia and the workforce.

Columbia is abysmally disappointing in this response.

my thoughts go out to the aussie contingent. Comments of his type to any group is distasteful. wondering if he regrets his comments now ;)

Free speech? So can this rotten professor dude call Bollinger a mofo and still claim his freedom of speech and get away from getting his ass fired? I am afraid not. I am sure if this Bollinger clown means business, he can easily fire him for being INAPPROPRIATE!
I here will petition to amend our First Amendment: "Yes, I mean Freedom of Speech. NOT Freedom of Bullsh*T! Thank you very much."
BTW, the professor guy is hiding. He was last seen leaving Electro's house. :D Just kidding! I think I have just exercised my Freedom of BS! ;) See, we really need to amend the First Amendment.:D

'MOGADISHU' PROF BACK AT COLUMBIA
By JENNIFER FERMINO

April 9, 2003 -- The Columbia University professor notorious for his anti-American rants returned to class yesterday under extraordinary security, vowing he would "not be silenced."

Two campus guards were assigned to Nicholas De Genova as he taught his first class since March 27, when a storm erupted over his call for "a million Mogadishus," a reference to the 1993 "Black Hawk Down" battle in Somalia that left 18 GIs dead.

De Genova, who teaches anthropology and Latino studies, told a class he'd been lying low because he got death threats, one student told The Post.

"He made the point adamantly: 'I will not be silenced,' " said the student, who requested anonymity. She added that he did not apologize for his comments.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2537089

As Iraqis dance in the streets celebrating their new-found freedom, a human shield continues her "work":
Marines leapt out, training their guns and binoculars on surrounding buildings, checking for snipers.

They received a warm welcome -- except from one European woman, who had come to Baghdad as a human shield.

"Children killers!" she yelled at a U.S. tank commander.

NSX_Dreamer said:
They received a warm welcome -- except from one European woman, who had come to Baghdad as a human shield.

"Children killers!" she yelled at a U.S. tank commander.

What a bimbo. i bet she wouldn't have yelled that at Iraqi soliders who shot children.

I saw the liberation of the center of Baghdad live on TV last night; when the tanks rolled in. I was very impressed with the hardware the Marines had. :) And it was so funny watching the Iraqis put a rope 'noose' around saddam's statue -- how symbolic!!!

Yup, all in all a very good day. Too bad that human shield didn't do her job properly...

on another topic, some good reads:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/techwrapper.jsp?PID=1051-250&CID=1051-040903A

The painful part came when blogger Tom Perry mercilessly mocked De Genova's math, pointing out that "a million Mogadishus" would mean the deaths of, at a minimum, 750 million Muslims and noted:

18 American soldiers died, and 73 were injured in the Battle of Mogadishu. Thus, De Genova would like to see 18 million American soldiers killed, and 73 million injured. That would account for everyone in the armed forces and most of the American militia, of which De Genova is a member.

Where do you want your bullet, doc?

Moving on, we find that De Genova would like to see approximately 750 million little brown foreigners mowed down by American machine guns. This is a conservative estimate, but it should be sufficient to take care of any problems we have with people in the Middle East. See, the great thing about American military defeats is, we always win! Can do, chief! Back in reality, we ask what De Genova was thinking. The answer: he wasn't. Thinking is, like, passé, and so is meaning what you
say.

and BBC :

http://www.duckseason.org/articles.asp?article=30

Back