wireless cable modem for dell laptop

Well comcast finally got on the ball and I am getting a cable net connection at home. I have a dell laptop and am thinking I should go wireless. I know nothing about the products available and what to buy. Any opinions? TIA,
Aaron

You would not get a wireless cable modem...you'd get a wireless hub for you house and wireless network PCMCIA card for your laptop. Check out LinkSys products at BestBuy or CompUSA

I have the Dell True Mobile PCMCIA card and an SMC wireless router that I got at Office Depot for about $99 with a mail in rebate. Haven't had any problems with either in over a year of use. Best money I've ever spent on computer peripherals, you will love it!

Nate

DONYMO said:
You would not get a wireless cable modem...you'd get a wireless hub for you house and wireless network PCMCIA card for your laptop.

Yes, exactly. You will have a (wired) cable modem wherever the cable is. If that's convenient to where you use the laptop at home, then you don't need anything wireless; otherwise, you should put the wireless hub (also called a router) there, and the wireless card in your laptop will communicate with it.

I've got a Netgear MR314 wireless router and never had any problems with it.
I've also found that rather than a fixed PC card for the laptop, a separate standalone receiver that uses a USB connector is way more flexible and can accomodate any computer with a USB connection.
Great for multiple laptops.

If you only want 11 Mbs transfer speeds, from the routers I have tried I have found that the linksys gets the best range.

It is a different story for the new G standard the Linksys G router doesn't get anywhere near the range as the B router does. The B booster work on the G router though.

Back