Wiper Blades

I just had my NSX state inspected for tags. While at the dealer I had them do a few things. I wanted to get new wiper blades and I was told they were $100. My car won't see enough rain to justify that much for blades. Where are you NSX owners buying your blades?

Wow! $100 bucks? Was that for the whole arm assembly?

I bought wiper refills at Kragen for about $5-$7 each.

Autophile said:
Wow! $100 bucks? Was that for the whole arm assembly?

I bought wiper refills at Kragen for about $5-$7 each.

That's what I said. That was just for the blades not the arm assembly. I assume Kragen is your local auto parts store. I've never heard that name before. I also assume we can use any blade in the required size.

Yeah, Kragen here is like Autozone, Pepboys, etc.

I think the wiper size is 21" (maybe 22"), narrow width refill. The same size fits both sides. Anyway, they had an application catalog there, and had them on the shelf.

Agent said:
I just had my NSX state inspected for tags. While at the dealer I had them do a few things. I wanted to get new wiper blades and I was told they were $100. My car won't see enough rain to justify that much for blades. Where are you NSX owners buying your blades?

Which Dealership was this?

Please don't fall for the "trap" that I did - the dealer will call the part the wiper blades - but it is an assembly, the rubber as well as the blade that it connects to. I was personally expecting just the rubber when I called Tracy and asked for wiper blades; once I got the $120 bill, I knew I screwed up.

You can get the rubber refills and replace them yourself, I would assume, and don't really see anything wrong with that.

FYI, the arm assembly includes everything that goes to the 12 (14?) mm bolts underneath the hood. And getting those both powdercoated semi-gloss black cost around $50. :)

Wiper blade inserts

As mentioned, you need the wiper blade refills. Part #76622-SR3-305. I paid about $8 each back in 1997. I'm sure they cost about that price now. Since I don't drive the car in the rain, I don't even sport wiper blades on my NSX. They're someplace in my garage.

Gold Coast Acura in Oxnard, CA installed new wiper blades for me when they did an oil change about two months ago and charged me $20 bucks.

Find a new NSX authorized dealership.

Doug

Dtrigg said:
Gold Coast Acura in Oxnard, CA installed new wiper blades for me when they did an oil change about two months ago and charged me $20 bucks.

Find a new NSX authorized dealership.

Doug

I hate car dealerships. I know they make their money on parts but give me a break. I went to AutoZone and put Bosch wipers on and they fit/work perfect. They will probably dry rot before I replace them again. Thanks for the input.

$100... Damn, were those wipers made of titanium! :eek:

I just bought new wiper INSERT replacements from the local dealership. All you need are the inserts, I would suggest not relpacing the entire OEM wiper.

Nothing beats the quality of the original wiper/arm assembly. Not to mention that when at HWY speeds the wiper won't cause the arm to lift from the windshield. :)

I was amazed to see that these were packaged in Honda Bag and claimed to be made in Japan! You also need to use the original metal insert sleeve from the old wipers to the new ones.

The cost you might ask...

New Wiper Insert $4.99 Canadian! Yes I said $4.99ea Canadian, which means you need 2 which is like $9.98 CND... which is about $3.67US for each blade!

I think this is so far the cheapest OEM replaced part I've ever purchase from the dealer! :cool:

Re: Wiper blade inserts

Vytas said:
As mentioned, you need the wiper blade refills. Part #76622-SR3-305. I paid about $8 each back in 1997. I'm sure they cost about that price now. Since I don't drive the car in the rain, I don't even sport wiper blades on my NSX. They're someplace in my garage.

I just picked up a pair for mine just yesterday at my local Honda dealership (same refills fit certain year Honda Civics as well as our NSXs), for just $7 each.

I had my wiper blades replaced last Oct. with the 30,60K + TB/WP and they charged me $12 bucks for the pair. Had the work done by John at Buerkle Acura in Minneapolis.

Great place with a great service department. I dropped the NSX off on Fri. Morn and they gave me a new TL for the weekend.

I went to Auto Zone to get refills but no luck. I had taken the original off and threw it in the trash at auto zone with the metal inserts. Then I went to the dealer and was pleased to find genuine Honda refills for about $4 apiece and realized I needed to rush back to auto zone to get the metal inserts out of the trash. New arms are about $100.

Save your original arms!

I took my blades completely off. Never drive in the rain anyway. :biggrin: :biggrin: Looks a lot better.

Aero said:
I took my blades completely off. Never drive in the rain anyway.

It doesn't have to be raining for some car ahead of you on the road to kick up a load of road puke onto your windshield and effectively blind you. Removing the wipers for the sake of asthetics is assinine.

Hugh said:
It doesn't have to be raining for some car ahead of you on the road to kick up a load of road puke onto your windshield and effectively blind you. Removing the wipers for the sake of asthetics is assinine.

It may be possible but since I've owned my car and the cars that I don't drive when its raining or wet I've never used the wipers one time. I keep them in the car if I should need them.

Hugh said:

LOL:biggrin:
So funny but yet so true.

Aero said:
since I've owned my car and the cars that I don't drive when its raining or wet I've never used the wipers one time. I keep them in the car if I should need them.
iagree.gif

(If you do this, a coat of Rain-X on the windshield doesn't hurt...)

Agent said:
I hate car dealerships. I know they make their money on parts but give me a break. I went to AutoZone and put Bosch wipers on and they fit/work perfect. They will probably dry rot before I replace them again. Thanks for the input.

Tischer Acura in Laurel is the only dealer that I allow near my car. Ask for James Greechan (Service Mgr) and insist that Jim Allen (Tech) is the only one to touch your car. They do great work and have been very reasonable with pricing. Tell them that Blue NSX (Rick) sent you.

DrVolkl said:
The Tire Rack sells nice PIAA wiper blades...you can even get the assemblies with the air spoiler for $24/ea. They're really nice.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories...autoYear=1991&searchType=accessories&x=33&y=4

Just received these yesterday. I got one with a spoiler and one without. To my considerable shagrin the spoiler sits under and slightly elevates the wiper arm. This adds pressure at the center part of the wiper itself; slightly lifting up the ends. Not good. I took the spoiler off and am now stuck with two little metal tabs which, I guess, I'll Dremel off this weekend. I could send it back, but, hell, I like to Dremel. I may even try taking a bit off the top of the spoiler so that it fits under the arm...we'll see.

So just a word of warning. The tirerack site says both types will work...oh no, just the, um, unspoilered ones.

I also removed my wiper blades and it looks alot better. I never drive my car if there is even a chance it might rain. I have been driving for 14 years now and have never had anything hit my windshield that would blind my view of the road. If this happens, i think i'd have bigger fish to fry than worring about if i had wiper blades or not.

Re: Wiper blade inserts

Vytas said:

Hey Vytas, what's with the looser airplane in your avitar? Just kidding :)

Back