Winterizing a NSX

Any good advice for winterizing a 91 with less than 6k miles? The weather here will get to around 0, but not stay long. I thought I would jack it up off the tires, but should I put the supports on the suspension, or frame so that the suspension can relax too? Other than that I will be stabilize the fuel, and yank the battery. Any other ideas, or words of advise?

Thanks

Don't bother.

Mine sits for 4-6 months every winter. The only thing I do is plug in an onboard battery charger. I've never worried about fuel stabilizer and never had any fuel-related problems. No need to jack it up off the tires; sure they'll be lumpy when you first start out in spring, but after half a mile they'll be fine. Don't forget they'll lose about 5 psi over the winter.

A 91 with less then 6k miles on it sounds like it gets driven a lot less than yours nsxtasy. I would probably drain the fuel. Haven't done this on a NSX so I have no idea what is involved.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 16 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
A 91 with less then 6k miles on it sounds like it gets driven a lot less than yours nsxtasy.

Not during the winter, it doesn't.

In fact, it probably doesn't get driven any more than mine did in some years, including this past one.

I would probably drain the fuel.

If you want to go to all that trouble when there's absolutely no need to do so, be my guest.

A 91 with less then 6k miles on it sounds like it gets driven a lot less than yours nsxtasy. I would probably drain the fuel. Haven't done this on a NSX so I have no idea what is involved.

.]
In the "old" days, you would put a vapor barrier on the floor of the garage, remove plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder (turn over to coat cylinder walls), raise the car to relieve the suspension, and FILL the tank (and add Stabil). The reason to fill the tank, is to keep moisture out and thus preventing rust. BTW, Stabil or some similar product does work because untreated gas can and will break down. Oh, it is also a good practice to drain the oil and add fresh so the contaminate in the dirty oil don't ruin the bearings. Also, change oil before starting in spring to eliminate any moisture that has accumulated over the winter. Or you can do as I do and take it out through the winter whenever it is nice. Had mine out Sunday for an hour. Usually thirty days don't go by here in Wisconsin when you have conditions nice enough to take your car for a healthy spin. I always felt doing it my way was easier on a car as it keeps all the seals lubricated. YMMV

Originally posted by Chuck:

.]
In the "old" days, you would put a vapor barrier on the floor of the garage, remove plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder (turn over to coat cylinder walls), raise the car to relieve the suspension, and FILL the tank (and add Stabil). The reason to fill the tank, is to keep moisture out and thus preventing rust. BTW, Stabil or some similar product does work because untreated gas can and will break down. Oh, it is also a good practice to drain the oil and add fresh so the contaminate in the dirty oil don't ruin the bearings. Also, change oil before starting in spring to eliminate any moisture that has accumulated over the winter. Or you can do as I do and take it out through the winter whenever it is nice. Had mine out Sunday for an hour. Usually thirty days don't go by here in Wisconsin when you have conditions nice enough to take your car for a healthy spin. I always felt doing it my way was easier on a car as it keeps all the seals lubricated. YMMV

I had mine out this weekend to Chuck I normally dont do anything but plug in the trickle charger and when weather and the roads permit take it out for a spin during the winter months.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Most important advice of all: Don't forget to call your insurance company, to have your collision and liability coverages suspended while the car is in storage. You'll save a huge amount of money.

Thanks for all your help. I've decided to keep the gas in it, but stabilized it. I'll start the car a couple times a month to keep the seals lubricated. I got her raised up and rested on stands so that the suspension can relax for a long winters nap. I yanked the battery out (man that was a pain) because I have a trickle charger I rotate over the winter on 4 batteries (boats). Many good ideas and opinions, thanks!

Please never jack the car by it's suspension! Only jack it by the jack points on the side frame rails shown in the owners manual.

I would just let the car sit on the ground. If you keep the tires slightly over-inflated they shouldn't flat-spot from sitting there. You can also roll the car back and forth a few inches every month or something if you are really worried about it.

Even if the tires are only normally inflated, and you don't move the car all winter, whatever "flat spotting" occurs is only temporary and disappears by the time you drive your first half mile in the spring.

Just remember to adjust the air pressure in the tires when you take it out again. I find that when the car sits, they generally lose about 1 psi per month, aside from differences due to changes in temperature.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 December 2002).]

Back