Winter tire question for you mid-atlantic folks

MJK

Legendary Member
Hi Guys,

I am moving to Baltimore and am taking a BMW 330Ci 5 speed (rwd) with me as my 'practical car'. It currently has Pilot Sport PS2s on it, which I suspect are not going to work for Baltimore winters. So here is the question, would you get 'all season' tires such as the the Pirelli Nero M+S or dedicated winter tires such as the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22s. My commute will be 10-15 miles.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try and order them today or tomorrow.
Mark

If you are going to get another set of rims, I'd get snow tires that have good reputation on dry road as well. It doesn't snow THAT much around here but when it does, it helps a lot to have the winter tires.

-ak

So would you go with the Pirellis or the Blizzaks? Looks like the Pirellis are better at just about everything but snow/ice. Blizzaks are better at that. I guess I am wondering how far most people push the envelope with a RWD car in the DC area. Any tips?

FWIW, had a 1997 328IC, I'm in NY, put 4 Blizzaks on the car, and could've hooked up a snow plow to the front, went through everything. If you absolutely have to get to work, in anything but a 18"+ blizzard, get the dedicated snows, if you don't than the all seasons are a decent compromise, not great summer tires, not great snow tires, but ok for commuting. You need to decide what your needs are, than the decision should be easy. :)

Well, I am going to be in town and on major roads most of the time but am still thinking of going with the blizzacks. I am trying to keep OE sizing and am having a tough time finding it on the Dunlop Winter M3s, etc.

225/45/17 F
245/40/17 R

There is a guy down here who imports Vredestein Snow tires and runs it on his E36 M3 ...not sure if you can get those sizes, but he says they are really good winter tires. These are supposed to be very popular in Europe. His name is Eric, his email is [email protected].

Back