Winter driving the NSX ?

Excellent feedback !

Thanks !

I took notes of your useful tips, and will try to find suitable snow tires to slowly try out the NSX... first in perfect winter conditions, and we'll see.

I daily drove very different cars for the last winters, from a 1989 Civic Si to a 2010 WRX STI... I guess I will be able to have some fun with the NSX, well within its grip limits...

Here's a video of an Audi R8 on a snow/ice track in Quebec called Mecaglisse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02RO7s7zWY

Not for long!

Slowly but surely my subliminal manipulations are hitting their marks.

Pretty soon you too Bram will be driving a VW!

You will look a bit funny in lederhosen tho, but I think that you will like the beer better.

little-miss-lederhosen-costume.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent feedback !

Thanks !

Here's a video of an Audi R8 on a snow/ice track in Quebec called Mecaglisse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02RO7s7zWY

Good video .. the guy obviously knows how to go fast in snow.

In my previous post, I forgot to mention something that people rarely even think about .. and that's "what's the impact of winter driving on belts .. timing belt, a/c belt, etc?" I bought my '91 in 2001 and it had just had a new TB. I then winter drove it about 7-8 years and about 70k miles, as I said, it started a handful of times at -40. I then had the TB changed by noted mechanic Mark Basch in Phoenix and I told him my situation and asked if he thought the TB was any the worse for wear .. and he said it looked no worse than most others he sees. I didn't ask him about the condition of the other belts but it was the first time that they had been changed in 7-8 years as well. Below about -25 they'll squeal for the first minute after start but then no more noisy than normal.

I was in Yellowknife NWT last February. Porsche was up there doing winter testing. They had a 911 turbo, a SUV and a Cayman all with the labels taped off. ( like people can't recognize a 911 without labels)
it was a comfortable -48 deg. C without the wind. I asked a very German fella about what they test. He mentioned they test everything from door seals to cold engine start and go tests. He said doors will not close when the rubber seals are hard.
He also mentioned that plastics are the most vulnerable in their tests. Plastics break like glass at -50.
the cars are returned to Germany when testing is done and then crushed.
these guys were great to talk to. It was cold and they took the time to answer our questions.

Lederhosen are leather shorts Bram - com'mon!

And Arshad brings up an excellent point. Dont take advice on driving an NSX over the winter from people who wont drive their car when it is raining!

Dont let the pretty cars get wet :biggrin:

4" here............or snow that is. winter wonderland for sure!

Wow driving an NSX in the snow.... :eek:

I really don't feel like driving the car when it gets below 10c..

It doesn't feel right to me...

Park the car...

Drive it 1 hour every Sunday morning...

Bring the car back out when you get a consistent 15c in the spring time..

You will feel better about the car & yourself....

Besides if some "yaahoo" slides into your dream car
{because he doesn't have snow tires}

You will not be happy ... $$$$$$$$

then we will all say .."told you to store it"

The other hugely important point is what buyer is going to want to buy an NSX that has seen road salt? That is a really big downside right there.

Guess it's time to chime in here.

I've had my 91 NSX a couple of years, it's my DD. That means I drive it in the sunshine, rain, snow, whatever, 365 days a year. Ground clearance has been fine, if it snows so much I can't get around I'd rather not go out anyway. Traction's good enough, just get a great set of snow tires (I use Dunlop WinterSport M3 - PM me) and drive like it's Winter. I always try to keep a lot of room between me and other vehicles, especially SUVs - their drivers seem to forget that 4-wheel drive doesn't help them stop. I often see them in the ditch at the side of the road (and no matter what the marketing guys say, they're TRUCKS, not cars! - okay, rant's over). If you want to drive in the Winter, go ahead, just be sensible about it, in any car, and wash your car often. Sure, cars cost money to fix if something happens, but it's the driver that's irreplaceable, just be careful! :smile:

The other hugely important point is what buyer is going to want to buy an NSX that has seen road salt? That is a really big downside right there.

Of course. Maybe not as bad as a tracked car, but still.

What I was pondering, though, is about the real effects of salt on the NSX. Only a few parts are made of rust-possible steel. The chassis, suspension parts are aluminium... I don't know if the underbody of the winter-driven NSXs here are much worse than the garage queens' ?

Of course. Maybe not as bad as a tracked car, but still.

What I was pondering, though, is about the real effects of salt on the NSX. Only a few parts are made of rust-possible steel. The chassis, suspension parts are aluminium... I don't know if the underbody of the winter-driven NSXs here are much worse than the garage queens' ?

I only have two years with my NSX in the snow - no problems with corrosion and Rob (factorynsxtech) once told me he knows of a guy (or two) who've driven their cars in the Winter for years with no ill effects. I look at it this way; planes get used in the Winter and they last a long time, and my car's made out of the same metal (more or less) so it should to! Even if it doesn't, I'll drive the car every day until it dies, then I'll get another, maybe one of the garage queens that's been itching to get out on the road...:wink:

with the NSX having more weight in the rear wouldn't it be ideal for driving in the snow? I'm thinking about a snowmobile being RWD and engine over the RWD.
You must have missed my earlier comments about traction....60% on the rear wheels; limited slip diff; TCS; ABS ... it doesn't get any better for a 2wd vehicle!

I only have two years with my NSX in the snow - no problems with corrosion and Rob (factorynsxtech) once told me he knows of a guy (or two) who've driven their cars in the Winter for years with no ill effects. I look at it this way; planes get used in the Winter and they last a long time, and my car's made out of the same metal (more or less) so it should to! Even if it doesn't, I'll drive the car every day until it dies, then I'll get another, maybe one of the garage queens that's been itching to get out on the road...:wink:
I concur. Corrosion isn't really a problem with the moderate amounts of salt they use around here. As I said earlier, exhaust components, heat shields, etc (that aren't stainless steel) will rust .. as did parts of my battery tray and holddowns. But I'll bet that those same parts might be rusty just from driving on wet roads. I've had no visible corrosion on any part of the body itself although the hook on the inside of the trunk lid that latches has some corrosion on it but it was like that when I bought it.

Personally, I think people would have trouble telling mine was winter driven compared to any other similar year/similar mileage NSX.

Have been around the Nurburgring for one lap in a rented A3 on an open to the public day...lots of traffic including motorbikes racing around at the same time.
Wow great video....going round the "Ring" in the snow...with no other cars.....nothing could beat that.

Guess it's time to chime in here.

I've had my 91 NSX a couple of years, it's my DD. That means I drive it in the sunshine, rain, snow, whatever, 365 days a year. Ground clearance has been fine, if it snows so much I can't get around I'd rather not go out anyway. Traction's good enough, just get a great set of snow tires (I use Dunlop WinterSport M3 - PM me) and drive like it's Winter. I always try to keep a lot of room between me and other vehicles, especially SUVs - their drivers seem to forget that 4-wheel drive doesn't help them stop. I often see them in the ditch at the side of the road (and no matter what the marketing guys say, they're TRUCKS, not cars! - okay, rant's over). If you want to drive in the Winter, go ahead, just be sensible about it, in any car, and wash your car often. Sure, cars cost money to fix if something happens, but it's the driver that's irreplaceable, just be careful! :smile:

What color is your car? I remember seeing one last winter that was Berlina Black parked by Pizza Pizza on Dunlop Street near downtown Barrie. I think it was an early one (or at least had the early '91 to '93 style wheels).

What color is your car? I remember seeing one last winter that was Berlina Black parked by Pizza Pizza on Dunlop Street near downtown Barrie. I think it was an early one (or at least had the early '91 to '93 style wheels).

Berlina Black, could have been mine. I've used both '91 OEM rims and JDM replica rims in the winter before, now I use the JDM rims in the Summer and OEM rims in the Winter.

Berlina Black, could have been mine. I've used both '91 OEM rims and JDM replica rims in the winter before, now I use the JDM rims in the Summer and OEM rims in the Winter.

If you are up for a beer, let me know. I will be up there for a week and a half, and most likely bored. :)

In the spirit of the NSX they have aluminum models for light applications.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SVBvDQz1PY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SVBvDQz1PY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Back