• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield replacement lower seal backordered?

Ion

Registered Member
I unfortunately picked up a chip / crack in the windshield of my 2017. ☹️

I called the glass place my local Acura dealer recommended. They said they can get the OEM glass but that the lower seal it sits on by the cowl is backordered at Acura and there is no ETA on availability. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I may be able to find this?

It’s too big and already cracked so sealing is not an option unfortunately.
1710191697941.jpeg

Looks like a bad runner. Otherwise you would never see it. I think the only thing you can do is check some of the salvaged cars on eBay. Get the part number and run a check to see if someone has in stock. Otherwise the glass person may be able to custom make a seal?

Acura 73151-T6N-A01 and
Acura 77107-T6N-A01

Not sure which part is the one you are looking for. I would do a search at a local dealer to see if they can show who has in stock

Acura 73151-T6N-A01 and
Acura 77107-T6N-A01

Not sure which part is the one you are looking for. I would do a search at a local dealer to see if they can show who has in stock

Thanks. I called local parts department and it sounds like the piece that is back ordered is 73151-T6NA01. Parts guy said he has no ETA on when it might come in. My replacement carbon fiber engine cover that was backordered took 4 months to come in so I’d rather find it in stock someplace instead of ordering and waiting. I found it on oempartsonline.com this morning but it’s not clear if it’s in stock from web page so I e-mailed them to see if they have it in stock but haven’t heard anything back yet. I guess this is the downside of having a unique ultra low production car.

This is kind of concerning to me because at the launch of the NC1 it was made clear parts would be available down the road. In fact, I recall something about sealed containers full of parts to guarantee parts availability at PMC.

This is kind of concerning to me because at the launch of the NC1 it was made clear parts would be available down the road. In fact, I recall something about sealed containers full of parts to guarantee parts availability at PMC.
Yes, concerning to me too. Neither Acura or the two glass installers I called had any suggestions about what to do or where to alternatively source this part. Both glass installers said they and everyone in town sources it from the local dealer. The local dealer reiterated if I ordered it ETA for coming back in stock is unknown. Got the sense I was SOL and on my own.

No response from oempartsonline either so tomorrow I’ll start calling dealers in surrounding cities and hope to find someone with some inventory on hand.

Last edited:
I would drive the car to the PMC....:p

I would drive the car to the PMC....:p
I grew up in Dublin, Ohio just 20 miles from PMC. If I still lived there I would drop in too 😁. My high school girlfriend’s step dad even worked at Honda on NSX R&D. I moved to North Carolina 18 years ago after graduating college though so a bit of a trip now.

Update: Found another dealer that did not have the part but was able to check national inventory and found there are 3 dealers in the country with this moulding trim in stock. I called them but no one will ship to you directly, only from dealer to dealer.

I called my local dealer and asked if they could transfer it but they had to call Honda headquarters to see if they were allowed to do this. When they hear back, they’ll let me know. Insurance isn’t sure how to cover this either if I buy this piece out of pocket and is checking around and will get back to me. I’ll eat the cost if I have to. I just want the car fixed. Who would have known a simple windshield would be such an ordeal.

As an aside, one of the parts guys told me they had another customer wait one and a half years for a replacement key fob to come in on an NSX that was backordered. Never mind the fact it’s the same FOB any other Honda / Acura uses with an NSX logo on it SMH.

This would be me at PMC..

1710374855663.png

If a dealer has the part, you can purchase directly and have it shipped to you. We are not talking a lot of money. You do not need approval from Acura to purchase part. A transfer can occur from one dealership to another. They want money to cover the cost. Typically the Parts department is a separate profit center. These parts are not special like the type S might be. Too much drama. Send me a pm with the dealers who have the part.

If a dealer has the part, you can purchase directly and have it shipped to you. We are not talking a lot of money. You do not need approval from Acura to purchase part. A transfer can occur from one dealership to another. They want money to cover the cost. Typically the Parts department is a separate profit center. These parts are not special like the type S might be. Too much drama. Send me a pm with the dealers who have the part.

The dealers I called said they could not ship the trim directly to me, only to other dealers or I could pick up in person. Parts guy at my dealer said he had to get permission from Honda corporate to have it transferred. He also said he didn’t transfer it himself, rather he put in request to Honda corporate to have it transferred from one of the 3 that had it. They told him several dealers have it on order while it is backordered but they don’t actually ship it from one dealer with inventory to another unless requested. Since he requested, it was supposed to be here this past Friday. Guy called me Friday evening to say it hasn’t arrived yet. Windshield is several days out yet too. Maybe other dealers handle differently. This is just the story these dealers gave me.

It is possible to change the windshield without a new lower seal. My glass guy saved the original lower seal and used 3M tape to re-apply it. So if worse comes to worst you can always go that route.

Update: Found another dealer that did not have the part but was able to check national inventory and found there are 3 dealers in the country with this moulding trim in stock. I called them but no one will ship to you directly, only from dealer to dealer.

I called my local dealer and asked if they could transfer it but they had to call Honda headquarters to see if they were allowed to do this. When they hear back, they’ll let me know. Insurance isn’t sure how to cover this either if I buy this piece out of pocket and is checking around and will get back to me. I’ll eat the cost if I have to. I just want the car fixed. Who would have known a simple windshield would be such an ordeal.

As an aside, one of the parts guys told me they had another customer wait one and a half years for a replacement key fob to come in on an NSX that was backordered. Never mind the fact it’s the same FOB any other Honda / Acura uses with an NSX logo on it SMH.
Where are those dealers? Let us know and perhaps someone in this group can buy for you and ship it out :)

Sigh.. lower seal still hasn’t arrived at the dealer that Honda corporate was supposedly transferring. Called today to check and was told every couple of days they keep updating expected arrival date and when it doesn’t arrive (like again today) they bump ETA out again.

That’s not the only issue. My installer has apparently NOT ordered the windshield yet because she is waiting on authorization from my insurance for the labor charge. Insurance says they authorized parts but are not authorizing labor yet because the estimate she sent shows $300 / hr, but does not list expected number of hours to complete. She says she did not list this because it is not published anywhere and she won’t know until done so they are at a stale mate. This is getting ridiculous.

$300/hr for a windshield repair?!? A little ridiculous, no?
On second thought I’m thinking maybe she meant $300 flat.. Either way insurance has approval on hold because number of labor hours is not listed. Anyone know how many hours it’s supposed to take?

The insurance companies have flat, cost, rate(s) and contracts with most or, many glass vendors that are very low. I find it hard to believe that ANY dealer does this install with in house staff. They call in a vendor like Safelite who will do a better job. A big concern for any glass installer is the potential for breakage especially during the install which is not entirely risk free for any installer. With a aftermarket glass the vendor say like Safelite, they replace and move on. You break a OEM windshield installing it and you are left on your own. The intention of my post is to inform you of the issues that form the ins.co and dealers policies.

Labor finally authorized by my insurance … which took a while since no published hours. Still no lower moulding trim. A couple weeks back I called 2 of the 3 dealers that had it in stock in the country and they said they were not allowed to ship to me directly only to other dealers. My dealer said they had to request transfer from Honda corporate. Just checked today and still hasn’t come in. Apparently when they phoned in the 3 in national inventory I provided them, they sent it to whichever dealer is next on wait list and there is zero ETA as to when I will get mine as multiple dealers have this back ordered around the country. I tried calling the 3rd dealer today in California and they said sure, we can ship to you.. no wait, it’s out of stock now as they just did an NSX windshield replacement last week. Asked him to check national inventory and it’s zero in stock at any dealer in the country. Also called every online Acura parts place and they all said it’s back-ordered with no ETA so they won’t even place an order.

I asked my installer about reusing the old moulding with 3M tape as mentioned above and was told that if it moves while installing glass it could break and there is no way they are risking this on a $3,500 windshield. So now I’m basically just SOL with a paper weight of a car I can’t drive. For a $200k+ car, this is highly disappointing. Just bought an MDX type S yesterday. Great car, but starting to regret it if this is how Acura treats its customers. Starting to think I should have stayed with Porsche.

Back