Wideband O2 sensors for AEM ECU

I put a AEM ECU on my car this summer. I just found out both of my AEM O2 sensors are dead or dying. This makes 3 O2 sensors in 5 months, and I am thinking there has to be a better set up:frown:

What are others running, and what kind of life are you getting? Seems like Honda and other OEM's can make a part which last 10 years, there must be something out there which will do the same for this setup...

The best wideband is the Motec PLM. Mine came with a Bosch sensor and harness. Well it lasted about 2 standalone tunes and went bad. It is the same sensor that is used in the Saturn V6 primary O2 sensors. The Bosch sensor is the same one used in the AEM wideband. Since it went bad so fast I thought that it was just a defective one from the start. So I went and got a brand new one from Saturn. Well it too went bad rather fast and when I asked one of their techs they said they replace them all the time. Pretty much everyone of them comes in about 30,000 miles on the clock to get one replaced. Frustrated I called and ordered the NTK UEGO from Honda and the harness from Motec. This sensor is over 2 years old and still going after tuning over 12 cars. The sensor was designed by Honda for use in the 93-95 civic 3dr VX and the 96-99 civic 2dr HX 5 speed. Both cars run their ECMs in full loop and during cruising run almost on the fumes alone at about 18:1 afr.

The thing to remember is that these sensor require a lot of tooling and special parts to manufacture them. NGK (NTK) or Bosch would simply laugh at us if we would like a sensor like this. A multi billion dollar manufacturer like Honda who has engineers to design and present the ideas to these companies and purchases over 50,000 of these sensors every year would interest them. Even though these sensor were initially designed for enhancing fuel economy the have found their way into the performance world due to the benefit of their performance.

The Motec PLM's harness for the Bosch sensor sits in the bottom of my tool box next to the two other Bosch sensors that had failed on me. The NTK Uego is the only one which has been working consistently.

Back when I was looking into widebands the only ones out there were the FJO, Motec, Autronic, and the DIY Aussie unit. I gave the aussie unit a try and it worked for about 35 minutes until it had burned out the NTK Uego. The FJO being $750 back then and the Motec being about $300 higher I spent the extra cash for one that I thought was the best and I'm very glad I did. The Motec does what other widebands can't do and does it with a better display and smaller single unit which is programable via a laptop or PC and their free software.

The only drawback to the Motec is that it doesn't datalog like the FJO. The FJO can datalog using other options and the optional hardware.

The way I rank them:

1: Motec
2: HKS A/F knock monitor. (this baby is small has a small display like the EVC V that connects to the controller via a phone cable and even has a ear phone connection to listen to the knock sensor. Better yet, its 0-5 volt output is adjustable via the display!
3: FJO since it is the only one that has datalogging as an option.

BTW, if anyone who know of a way for me to datalog the motec using a universal datalogger please chime in. thanks in advance.

I hope this helps you decide what works for you.

Joe.

Joe,
Thanks for the input. I am running AEM, so I can already data log and with a lap top it is very easy to display the data. I really just need a way to control the O2 sensor and get a signal to the ECU.

Devin@AEM is going to take a look at the UEGO and the sensors to see what the problem is. I wonder if the AEM UEGO can control the Honda sensor?

titaniumdave said:
Joe,
Thanks for the input. I am running AEM, so I can already data log and with a lap top it is very easy to display the data. I really just need a way to control the O2 sensor and get a signal to the ECU.

Devin@AEM is going to take a look at the UEGO and the sensors to see what the problem is. I wonder if the AEM UEGO can control the Honda sensor?

Hey dave,

I'm not trying to insult you or anything at all, but are you SURE you have them properly installed?

What distance are they, in inches, from the exhaust ports? (if they're too close they can overheat)

Are they angled slightly so that the probe is lower than the harness output? (to keep unburnt fuel from pooling on the sensor when you first start the car up, which then cooks, and leads to premature sensor failure)

I have about 12k miles on my car, and almost that entire time it was running pig rich... i've had no problems with the aem wideband (uego) gauge or sensor.. just my 2 cents. Good luck!

ps: i took a couple pics and wrote a little text while installing mine, if it helps at all: http://www.blazen.com/mike/flyingmonkey/wideband/

edit: woops fixed the url.. damn mouse! :-)

-mike

Last edited:
Mike,
Thanks for the thoughts. The sensors are mounted pointed down 10 degrees and as far down stream as possible in an NSX, in the collectors for the headers. According to the NEW info from AEM, the sensor should be placed 32" down stream from the turbo or last heat source. I have not taken a tape measure out to see if mine are that far away:rolleyes: , I just know they can't get any farther.

Would like to see the pics, link is not active.

Dave

Back