Why did I stick $20K into my 1991 NSX?

Since writing my thread about getting my '91 AT dialed in at Autowave, dyno'd out at 331hp at the wheels, I have had a lot of peolpe ask me why I didn't just sell it and buy another newer car, already with an SC, ect. One of the big reasons is that I got the car from an 84 year old dude with 19K miles on it, and he bought it to stick it in his garage as a collector because a TV star owned it.
I know the status every belt, nut, fluid and ding and I am keeping this car. I got it when I got sober 6 years ago, it marked a turning point in my life and I love it and really feels like it was made for me.
Only us NSX nuts know why we love these things. You got own it, drive it, have it break and start selling stuff to get it back where it belongs, on the road.
It is simply one of the best automobiles I have ever ridden in. Here's my last response to a fellow NSXer who also looks like he loves his car, keeps working on it and sticking money into it (good after bad), but the feeling (only we know) is something only we understand!!
Well, it looks like you have done a lot to yours already and the headers and exhaust are a must. I got Timing Belt, new Hoses (they want to redo the entire car after 20 years which makes sense), top gaskets & seals, lower seal on left rear bearing and a coolant tank replaced along with a flushed cooling system for $3800 at the Acura dealer in Anaheim Hills. I could feel some extra HP just after that I think because the timing was just tighter.

At Autowave the main parts were latest and greatest CT SC, AEM EMS (The owners Son Michael had to customize the harness because of the 4 sdp AT) Uego, new fuel pump, oversized injectors and super tuned with a dyno for $16K. They were actually was very reasonable for all they did. They really took ownership in maybe the first AEM they had done in an AT and you could tell they were all excited with the results. To me, you want someone that is that passionate about what they do to work on YOUR car!

I will not part with the car now. It is everything I want. It will hang with the big time exotics on the highway and not even get really dusted by Vipers or Vettes. It handles as well as a Lambo or Ferrari and I think looks pretty damn good for being 20 years old. What I am saying is, don't do this unless you want to keep it and enjoy it. You will never get your money back out when you sell it. For me, I don't care, I have the car I always wanted. I will put another 100K miles on it before I have to turn another bolt. It is tight, fast, comfortable, handles, good ride at 80-90-or more, it's my Baby!
If you are going to do it, I highly recommend Autowave if you can get there. They know their *&'#!

Good Luck, Dave

Since writing my thread about getting my '91 AT dialed in at Autowave, dyno'd out at 331hp at the wheels, I have had a lot of peolpe ask me why I didn't just sell it and buy another newer car, already with an SC, ect. One of the big reasons is that I got the car from an 84 year old dude with 19K miles on it, and he bought it to stick it in his garage as a collector because a TV star owned it.
I know the status every belt, nut, fluid and ding and I am keeping this car. I got it when I got sober 6 years ago, it marked a turning point in my life and I love it and really feels like it was made for me.
Only us NSX nuts know why we love these things. You got own it, drive it, have it break and start selling stuff to get it back where it belongs, on the road.
It is simply one of the best automobiles I have ever ridden in. Here's my last response to a fellow NSXer who also looks like he loves his car, keeps working on it and sticking money into it (good after bad), but the feeling (only we know) is something only we understand!!
Well, it looks like you have done a lot to yours already and the headers and exhaust are a must. I got Timing Belt, new Hoses (they want to redo the entire car after 20 years which makes sense), top gaskets & seals, lower seal on left rear bearing and a coolant tank replaced along with a flushed cooling system for $3800 at the Acura dealer in Anaheim Hills. I could feel some extra HP just after that I think because the timing was just tighter.

At Autowave the main parts were latest and greatest CT SC, AEM EMS (The owners Son Michael had to customize the harness because of the 4 sdp AT) Uego, new fuel pump, oversized injectors and super tuned with a dyno for $16K. They were actually was very reasonable for all they did. They really took ownership in maybe the first AEM they had done in an AT and you could tell they were all excited with the results. To me, you want someone that is that passionate about what they do to work on YOUR car!

I will not part with the car now. It is everything I want. It will hang with the big time exotics on the highway and not even get really dusted by Vipers or Vettes. It handles as well as a Lambo or Ferrari and I think looks pretty damn good for being 20 years old. What I am saying is, don't do this unless you want to keep it and enjoy it. You will never get your money back out when you sell it. For me, I don't care, I have the car I always wanted. I will put another 100K miles on it before I have to turn another bolt. It is tight, fast, comfortable, handles, good ride at 80-90-or more, it's my Baby!
If you are going to do it, I highly recommend Autowave if you can get there. They know their *&'#!

Good Luck, Dave

Dave

Nice post! (We may get moved to another part of the forum though). +1 for Autowave as well. As for FI, it's addicting, Autowave did my 2.3L SC tuning and I put down 435rwhp on pump gas. I agree with your posts as I have modded pretty much everything on the car. I am in Anaheim Hills as well so maybe will see your ride. Mine is a garage queen but I am trying to change that. :biggrin:
Jeff

Last edited:
I wish I only stuck 20K into my car.:biggrin: It seems like a never ending story, but it is alot of fun. FRank

I know the feeling I keep looking 575 and 360 go for what I have into mine. :)

Back