Why a 10+ year old car over a new car?

If you are a 1st Gen. Acura NSX owner, how old are you?

• under 21

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • 31+

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
brahtw8 said:
Thanks. I thought about that after I posted it. You are welcome to use it in your signature.

DONE...Thanks :biggrin:

Larry Bastanza said:
5 miles of twisty roads, no contest:)

When a friends wife first saw the car her reaction was :mad: "very practical" :frown:

I told her practical is when you get such joy out of driving a car that if you hit me in the head with a shovel right after a twisty road drive, it would still take the mortuary 2 months to take the smile off my face :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have wanted an NSX for years and when I found mine 2 years ago I finally realized that dreams do come true :cool: The one thing I did not expect was that with the purchase of this car my circle of friends would expand 100 times. Thanks to the NSXCA and Prime I have made many new friends and family :eek:

This is the greatest car community anywhere and I'm proud to be part of this obsessive, compulsive, cult (oh, you thought this was a CLUB :smile: )

There is but one thing to say about the NSX..... ENJOY THE RIDE :biggrin:

There is no doubt in my mind that I am going to do everything in my power to get this NSX! You guys are very good at convincing :biggrin:

if lookz kill said:
This thread is to start a short discussion for those who purchased their Acura NSX within the last 2-3 years. Assuming you paid around $30k give or take a couple, what made YOU decide to get a Acura NSX over a brand new car such as: Honda S2000, Subaru STI, Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, or any other driving enthusiast car out there in the $30k range.

Thanks in advanced for your opinions and input! Discuss Discuss :biggrin:

I had a brand new Mitsubishi Evolution VIII and the dealer/manufacturer network was crappy.....I felt more comfortable driving my almost 10 year old car than I did my new car. :)

No question about it..... It wreaks of CLASS and STYLE! The NSX is one of a handful of cars that looks awesome from whatever angle you choose to view it. :biggrin: :wink: :smile:

Danny

Last edited:
In addition to all the performance and aesthetic joys of owning an NSX, you will enjoy significant financial benefits by choosing a 10+ year old NSX over a new car. It costs less to own a 10+ year old $30K~ish NSX than any new $30k~ish vehicle.

By way of an admittedly oversimplified example, if you paid $32.5K for a nice 91 NSX 4 years ago, and assuming reasonable mileage and it's still nice, you could sell it today for about the same money. Let's say you get $30K for it. You paid only $2.5K to drive an NSX for 4 years.

Now, instead, assume in 2001 you bought a new - whatever - a BMW 330i. Base price for a 330i in 2001 is around $34.5K (see Edmunds.com). Today you can get about $26K for your 330i. You paid $8.5K to drive the BMW for 4 years. That's over three times the cost of the NSX.

Even if you had to pay for a timing belt/water pump for your NSX at $1500, you're still paying three times as much for the new car.

Plus, the NSX is way cooler than any new $30K car. :biggrin:

Well, I in 2000, I had a Dinaned out '99 M3, sold it for an E46 M3, then bought an '01 M5 which I put everything AC Schnitzer made for the car on it, sold it in February '04 and bought a new '04 STi, which I sold in January to buy my '94 NSX. Out of all those performance cars, maybe the NSX isn't quite as fast, (I defy anyone to feel the difference between 0-60 times of 5.0 and 4.5 !), the NSX is the car I'm sticking with. The overall NSX driving experience has it over all those other cars.

I to have had a # of differnet cars.. including RX7, C5, and current NSX... i love the NSX over all of the above.. Having said that, i recently drove my friend's F360.. those who claim the NSX drives like a ferrari are dead wrong.. the F-car (at least the 360) - is a world of difference from the NSX... crisper, stiffer, quicker turn-in. (and obviously more power). granted its double the price..

skinnydoc said:
I bought an NSX because I figured you only live once, so you might as well buy something that you will enjoy, that will inspire you and make you happy...

my thought exactly. i want to add that you only get to be young once. i'm in the 21-30 group, and I LOVE my NSX ever since i got it more than a year ago! many "mastercard" moments.

Back