Why a 10+ year old car over a new car?

If you are a 1st Gen. Acura NSX owner, how old are you?

• under 21

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • 31+

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
This thread is to start a short discussion for those who purchased their Acura NSX within the last 2-3 years. Assuming you paid around $30k give or take a couple, what made YOU decide to get a Acura NSX over a brand new car such as: Honda S2000, Subaru STI, Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, or any other driving enthusiast car out there in the $30k range.

Thanks in advanced for your opinions and input! Discuss Discuss :biggrin:

Last edited:
Re: why an 10 year old car over a new car?

if lookz kill said:
This thread is to start a short discussion for those who purchased their Acura NSX within the last 2-3 years. Assuming you paid around $30k give or take a couple, what made YOU decide to get a Acura NSX over a brand new car such as: Honda S2000, Subaru STI, or Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, etc...

Thanks in advanced for your opinions and input! Discuss Discuss :biggrin:

Because I wanted a hot/exotic car that woman would drool over and not one that would get the attention of teenage boys! :tongue:

reliability - nearly same

depreciation - nsx better

looks - unless you can afford new ferrari, nsx better

fun to drive - NSX not so advanced you can't get race car feel, but advanced enough you have the safety

enuf said! =)

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Because I wanted a hot/exotic car that woman would drool over and not one that would get the attention of teenage boys! :tongue:

And it actually turned out this way?

I have wanted an NSX since I first set eyes on one. A friend says to me, out of the blue one day, you should get an NSX. Thats all it took I did the research and then after I found out about all the Idiosyncrasies of the NSX, windows ,snap ring, aircon,etc. I started to think maybe I should just get a new car of lesser quality and more speed/warranty. Then I looked at an NSX and drove one, i new that was what i wanted. So I got the typical red and black 91,45k ,a few mods and i absolutely love it. I will take the upkeep over a sedan/bland looking car.

Always dreamed of owning a mid-engine hand-built exotic supercar.

Up until 1991, the Lamborghini Countach was the front-runner until Sochiro Honda exceeded all of my expectations with an amazing car that met both my right and left brain's desires.

The other cars you mentioned may be in the same 'price class', but the NSX - for what it is - is in another class entirely.

More info on my affliction... er.. affection HERE. :D

Last edited:
I am in the 31+ category.

It was time in my life for a nice car and since I am a driving enthusiast, I wanted a sports car! So, I started test-driving Ferrari's and Porsche's... Now I was not looking at new ones, I could not afford that, I was looking for something around the late 80's....

It was 2002 and Honda was releasing it's NSX "revival" model...
That reminded me of the NSX. Now, I could not afford a new one of those either, so I looked on the Internet and found a '93 for sale about an hour drive away.

I rang the guy and arranged to have a look the following weekend.

Well, after driving so many 85-90 model Porsche's and Ferrari's... Hopping into the '93 NSX was incredible. No comparison! The NSX was superior the Ferrari's and Porsche's in every category!

I bought the NSX and have never looked back!

I want a car that is fast enough, yet, I could learn the proper way to driving... What's better than a MR car??

New cars do have warranty, but to someone who's typically like to modify his car, track it, and also do most simple maintenance work. Warranty doesn't mean squart to me... (if I knew a new car had warranty problem, I wouldn't buy it, period.) Did I mention I don't like Dealership service, in general ;) Well, I'm speaking for experience (bad) here and I don't think I like any of my local dealers.

I don't practically like any technology thing to help me keeping the car on road.

Really, you just need to drive the car to experience.

ok, let me put the "30k" list up and this is just my opinion:

Europen roaster: Boxter-slow, SLK-what's good except I'm driving the same car as the good looking blonde? Z3, are you kidding, I'm not driving a damn shoe around.
M3, German engineering and reliability is haunting me.
RX8: so damn slow
RX7: I loved it, but overheating problem?? 30k should be good budget for it, but there's only one shop in WA is reputable for rotary... I don't like the car THAT much.
Turbo Miata: I never driven it before, but it's still the damn little miata... 30k is a little much, I can spend 15k for just that.
S4: Fast, Luxury, still european and heavy.
EVO: Good steering, proven magazine report and blazingly fast. The fact it's too damn fast before it's too late, I guranteed myself I will roll down the mountain one night. interior feels like a taxi..plain. INSANE Dealer mark-up at the time.
STi: performance:same as Evo, a slightly better interior but poor seats, only that It had worse suspension and the exhuast is annoying.
S2000: My second choice, I don't like convertible myself, so it's a waste driving a convertible with top up. I'll regret if I see one nsx drove by... I could spend the same money for one.

nsx: Snap Ring, A/C, damage; I could avoid that by looking carefully. (I guessed I was lucky.) No regrets.

PS. If you are into Japanese cars, what could top a nsx, status wise?? A Skyline maybe, but not the stock one, but in US, 30k could buy you one pretty used one, IMO, not too good. You also get to drive the car at the same side as the mailman. also, good luck getting parts through JDM importer without getting ripped off.

#1 I wanted one the second i saw one when i was 17 (i'm now 25)
#2 Its much prettier than any offerings currently available (ever :biggrin:)
#3 All my friends have 500 rwhp Evolutions and STi's
#4 I thought that 270-300 crank horsepower would be enough for me (damn you len3.8 and kgp, it would have been ok if all the other STL nsx's were stock =), but i get 2 monsters in my city :biggrin:
#5 Its simply fabulous and ridiculously unique
#6 Did i mention its pretty :biggrin:

btw my only other 2 choices would have been a 3rd Gen Rx7 (94-95)
or a lotus elise

Rx7 is alot like my NSX but it blows up way too easily, well at least my friend's rx7 did, and the Elise, well its a pretty awesome car, but i knew i would pull up to myself more often then i would have liked to at the stop lights, (also i would much rather have gotten an Opel Speedster instead of the Elise)

beeker16 said:
And it actually turned out this way?

more or less :biggrin: I always say this is the car that changed my life :wink:

if lookz kill said:
what made YOU decide to get a Acura NSX over a brand new car such as: Honda S2000, Subaru STI, Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, or any other driving enthusiast car out there in the $30k range.

Reason is simple. Total package, best car my $34k can buy.

I never owned a used car prior to Nsx. I had own 3 other cars prior to NSX. All 3 cars were purchased brand new. All 3 cost more than my NSX.

Surprisingly my 92 Nsx felt so much newer with no problems. Still felt and look like a new car. For what I paid I felt like I got way more than my money worth.

The look of NSX is hard to beat with anything under $100k. Built quality is unbeatable.

If I have to add another car with $34k budget I would skip Evoviii and Sti once again, this is my top 5:

1. NSX (2nd NSX to use as daily driver :biggrin: )
2. Supra TT
3. Rx-7
4. S2k
5. G35 Coupe

I got it because I've always had a dream about owning it one day, especially when I was kid...Knowing that I couldn't afford a brand new one, I settled for an 91, which I'm very happy about it...It always feels good walking pass it every morning...I always say to myself, "damn, I have a NSX" :smile: ....and it's a plus when people can't even tell what kind of car it is, since it's sooooo rare... :biggrin:

I bought an NSX because I figured you only live once, so you might as well buy something that you will enjoy, that will inspire you and make you happy...

previous to the '91 i currently own, i leased a '00 T. hated to return it when lease expired, but felt honda wanted too much for the purchase. bummer, but i felt if i took my time, i'd find a great replacement nsx.

while i was looking for my next nsx, i considered multiple replacement cars: g35, ferrari, lotus, corvette, porsche... the typical list. nice cars, but to tell you the truth, each was lacking in one category or another that the nsx was exemplary in. as fate would have it, i found my perfect "next nsx" not far from me, owned by a very detail-oriented fella.

having said these things, i'm looking forward to the next gen nsx and/or hsc :)

Hello, My name is Jonathan Allyn and this is my first post. : )

This is a great warm up conversation for the purchase of my Dream Car. I have been following the NSX for about 12 years now and am getting close to buying one.

I have owned a 325hp FI Honda Prelude prior to my current RSX Type S so I am really looking forward to stepping into my NSX.

Basically, I am starting to educate my the process. There is alot of good info on this board so I will be looking forward to researching this purchase and hearing your advice.

Anyway, just thought I would say hello.

Take care,
Jonathan Allyn
www.jonathanallyn.com
www.surfaceatl.com

I have owned just about every type of car that you can imagine. Almost every one of them have been used when I bought them. The list includes a Ferrari 308 GTSi, Dodge Viper, RX7, 3000GT VR-4, 300Z, Corvette, several Porsches, and a Jaguar XJR. Each of these cars had less than 40K on them when I bought them. I have purchased three cars of the showroom floor - a BMW M3, a 2005 Mustang GT (already gone) and a Plymouth Prowler. The depreciation alone will keep me from ever buying another new car. The 1991 NSX that I just purchased for $25K is the best car out of them all. It is not as fast as some, not as luxurious as others, but it does everything just right. None of the other cars even begin to compare to the overall experience of driving an NSX. The beauty and attention are just by-products of an incredibly engineered automobile. I have driven newer Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, etc. But for $25K I can drive an equally great car and if anything breaks on it I can fix it and still have much less in than if I had bought one of the others. For the money there is not a better car that you can purchase. If anybody tells you differently, they haven't owned one! By the way, the STi and Evo never even made it into consideration. If I wanted an fast/bland car then maybe, but the lines of the NSX are not just beautiful, they are artwork. Good luck, and I know you will make the right decision.

NSXFreak00 said:
reliability - nearly same

depreciation - nsx better

looks - unless you can afford new ferrari, nsx better

fun to drive - NSX not so advanced you can't get race car feel, but advanced enough you have the safety

enuf said! =)

I started to list out my reasons and then looked up and found that they were already listed. DITTO! :smile:

EVO? Cheap, POS ricer mobile w/ big wing. Gimme a break. A turboed up Lancer. I say, stfw? ANYbody can take ANY decent car, put a bunch of suspension mods in it and turbos making boost in the teens and have a really fast car. Wow. Seriously. It's still a souped-up Lancer. If I was going to go that route, I'd get a Firehawk.

WRX STi? Other than like everybody has one, they look retarded. Anything with a wing that big looks totally stupid. Whoopie. Subie has a lightweight, again souped up Imprezza with turbos making tons of boost and AWD. Big deal. I just don't see what the big sh!t is with either of these cars. Yeah, they accelerate well and go really fast. News flash: so did the Camaro SS and Firehawk for a decade. Either of these cars is a CHEAP, small sedan with a bunch of performance mods. If they were doing the mod thing NA like the ITR did, I'd give more props, otherwise, I could not care less about either of these cars. You cannot mention them in the same sentence as any NSX. Park a brand new WRX Sti next to a 91 NSX and see who gets more attention.

S2000? I don't like convertibles. Ragtops stink. Even automatic ones. I'd tolerate a total hideaway rig like the F430 has, but, I prefer an actual hard top. Targas are the best.

Borrow or test drive any of the cars listed and the NSX. Go see how people react anywhere:Gas station, burger joint, Homedepot, Mall, etc....They are so rare and different from the others, that everyone goes nuts!!! I loaned my NSX to a close friend the other day( he detailed it for free) and he and a hot date went to a driveup burger joint (Sonic) anyway, his date was pissed that everyone was checking out the car instead of her hot push-up bra short outfit!!! He said the car was an incredible chick magnet, and he even had a date!!!! :biggrin:

I purchased my 1993 in 2003 for low $30s. I was 26.

I had (and have) my pick of anything in that price range (and more). I didn't like the styling and the interior of the 350Z. I didn't like the size and peaky engine of the S2000. The boy-racer econo-hatches were out on principal due to their appearance and drivetrain.

Despite the above, my NSX purchase was not about what the others lack. It was about what the NSX provides. One drive of the NSX and I knew I had to have one. My previous desire for an old M5 was put on the back burner immediately (where it remains today, sigh).

The NSX is about the total experience. The way the interior fits around you. The way the steering communicates the feel of the road. The feel of the gearbox. The wail of the engine and intake behind me. The strength of the engine's desire to rev higher and higher and the sweet reward of each additional RPM.

You can buy a faster car. You can buy a cheaper car. The real question is can you buy anything even remotely close to the NSX experience for twice the price . . .

brahtw8 said:
You can buy a faster car. You can buy a cheaper car. The real question is can you buy anything even remotely close to the NSX experience for twice the price . . .

Can I put this paragraph on my signature?? :biggrin:

Very well put.

Mike

Wow, all these nice comments about the NSX...

Thats it! The cover is coming off, I'm going for a joy ride today!!!

Look out Houston Police Department, here I come!!

Mojorator said:
Can I put this paragraph on my signature?? :biggrin:

Very well put.

Mike

Thanks. I thought about that after I posted it. You are welcome to use it in your signature.

Back