Who "settled" for a pre-97?

Who settled and bought an NSX when the HSC came out?

Who settled and bought a PIII computer when the P4 was out?

You can play this game forever. Have you driven a coupe 91' vs 97/99' back to back or a 95' T vs a 97+ T back to back?

I have (coupes anyway) and the difference was very little to me (especially since I upgraded to Billstein shocks, Eibach springs, Dali sway bars, DC headers, DC exhaust, Dali chip, and a decent amount of weight was pulled. I was looking for a car I could track on Sunday and drive to work on Monday and the NSX suited my needs perfectly. Some people love the open air experiance of the T's and don't track their NSX - perfect choice and still extremely capable in all performance areas.

Just my O - no one would ever question you stepping up to the 97+ but no one would ever question you getting into a well maintained 91' either.

It just seems to me that this is such a personal question of what is important to you and what is your budget - that I am not sure what you are hoping to learn from the NSX community.

Oh yea, I settled for the 4 track, and the next week that darn 8 track was introduced. Everything will always improve, be flexable!

I looked specifically for a 94. In 1994, Honda had all the bugs worked out (for the most part) and it was a hard top. If I had the resources, I'd buy that 2001 White Coupe that has been for sale for months. I just don't want a "T".

EssTooKayTD said:
well, I suppose that's the dilemna. I don't feel that I would be settling THAT much if I went pre-97. First and foremost, the looks of the car is what got me in the first place. So if you go from there, I can go 91-2000 if I'm not mistaken.

Tom

Actually its from 91-2001 ;)

EssTooKayTD said:
very good point. There are numerous 91-92's out there. You have to search a little harder for '97+.

Do any of your pre-97 owners ever think..."I should have just waited to find the right 97+?"

I'm struggling with the choice.

Tom

To be honest, NO. I was dead set on waiting until I had enough cash to buy a 97. I really wanted the 6-Speed and 3.2. However, I prefer a Coupe, but would never pass up a good T. I just wouldn't take the top off. Anyway, I had a chance last year to buy my friends 92 that had the NSX-R short gears and ring and pinion, all services done, snap ring was cured with a new case when the NSX-R gears went in, it had 98 stock rims, basically it was a good deal I couldn't pass up and I could buy it and enjoy it right now. Otherwise I would have had to wait at least another year. As it turned out, the only thing I kind of miss is the 6-Speed especially because my Legend was a 6-Speed, but I don't regret the purchase at all. If I had some spare cash and did a 6-Speed conversion that would be all I need. As for power, if I ever feel I need a lot more power I will just go FI anyway. The only way I will end up with a 97+ is if the right buyer and price comes along for my current NSX. Then I probably will purchase a 97+. I have no regrets and I have been enjoying being an NSX owner over a year now rather than still saving and wishing I was one:D

I had a 1 year old at the time I bought mine as a third car, so the air bag issue made me "settle" for a '91...that and the wife would have killed me if I spent anymore then i did on a third car that is NOT at all practical for people with kids:D

Having said that, my friend has a 97 (same color(black) and he about died when I showed him what I got for less then half of what he paid for his brand new:eek:
I'm sure he wishes he would have "settled" for a pre '97:D

Thats the great thing about the NSX...They did it right the first time!!! 1 gear, 0.2 liters and some exposed headlights is about all that has changed in 13 years....

BTW, the pre '97's did great at an NSX autocross here in So Cal recently...most of them finished in the top ten, so performance is still there obviously...:D

I wanted a green coupe. Due to the low numbers produced, it took a year for me to find a perfect one. I paid a modest premium for it, but that was OK as it was exactly what I wanted.

I settled for a 1993... I already had two 1991s and I sold the last one (silver, now Martin's one) in September last year to buy a perfect&clean 1997 NSX-T that waited at a dealership for come months... and ZZZAPPP!!! two weeks before I could buy it, it was picked by someone else! :rolleyes: :(

I was so sad that I wanted to back out from the deal I agreed with Martin, but afterall it was not his fault... so I sold it anyway and I bought the perfect condition and nicely modded black NSX I own now.

I cannot say I regret this: but sure I wish a 3.2l, 6-speeds and Targa when it is sunny outside... :p

KGP: Thanks anyways :)

ERICKGS3: I see your point. I don't plan to drive it THAT much either. You are absolutely right in your thoughts when you say is it worth x amount of dollars for a car you will drive x amount of miles a year. YES :) hahah

ajnsx: Don't know abotu you, but a new NSX is way out of my league. No shame admitting that. :D

nsxtasy: Kind of the same reason I didn't go for a 2004 S2000. Just wasn't enough for me to change.

matteni: I realize that it is a dilemna that is going to be around for all time. This is a thread just meant to get a general idea of what people have gone through to help me in my thoughts. It also gives a little insight into each person. Whether I become an NSX owner or not, I would still like to be on the boards to just discuss my love for the car.

timothyaw: I guess I was mistaken ;)

ChrisK: Well, for me at least, there is more to it. I like you, would want a 6 speed since i love it with my S2K. But if I need more power, FI is extremely expensive for the NSX. Well, that is what I've found after some research. I would like to try and keep my cars all NA, unless I just can't resist a deal or something.

91 X: Another good point similar to some others.

JPS Europa: yeah, I know it comes down to what I ultimately want. I guess so far, the general concensus is, sure, 6 spd, T top if you want, and 3.2L...but you won't be disappointed with a pre-97.

gheba_nsx: man, I feel for you.

Keep em comin guys/gals. Thanks for the peek into how some of you think ;) I would love to get a 97+, but seems like I'll be juuuuust fine with a pre-97 as well. the shopping continues...

Gheba, I thought you were going for a prancing pony? Glad you came back to the tried-and-true supercar. :)

OK, so most folks are saying they chose 91-96's for various reasons. I'll be honest and line up with 91 X -- 97+'s are very desirable cars, but it just wasn't in the budget...and I'm a cheap bastard to boot. You get 95% of the benefits of a '97 when you buy a '91 -- that is big-time value, folks. Even if you get a unit that requires repainting and reupholstering, this is not a huge deal and will eventually happen with a '97 as well.

Actually there also continues to be a problem with valuation of '95+ cars here in Canada, my guess is due to the rarity. The difference between a '91-93 and a '95 is a LOT more than the US$8-10K in the US market. Heck the '95's here ask Cdn$60K = US$45K, even when it has sat unsold through an entire summer. I don't get it. Sellers seem to believe that a '94 is worth Cdn$10K more than a '91 (for a $3K set of wheels?), a 95' is worth Cdn$15-20K more than a '91, and 97/98's if you could ever find one, ask truly ridiculous prices -- in the Cdn$75-85K range = US$55-63K. Prices will be as the market will bear but when you see these overpriced cars in the auto trader for upwards of a year, sometimes two, someone is either not serious to sell or is in no rush whatsoever to get the cash out of that asset. Interest rates being as low as they are may have a lot to do with that too.

Whew, with that out of my system, I will say I would love to have a '97. Maybe I'll eventually get one if the price difference vs. my '91 gets reasonable. But in the meantime, if I feel the need for more speed, likely I'll stick with a '91-93 coupe and spend $10K on forced induction. Yeee-haw!

CokerRat said:
But in the meantime, if I feel the need for more speed, likely I'll stick with a '91-93 coupe and spend $10K on forced induction.

That is 10K US on FI, so like 50K CDN :)

CokerRat said:
But in the meantime, if I feel the need for more speed, likely I'll stick with a '91-93 coupe and spend $10K on forced induction. Yeee-haw!

I used to think that too but the more you read, the more research you do, and the more you PM people you realize through the years that the FI road for such a high compression engine like ours is filled with broken promises, broken engines, and broken wallets.

Don't want to dissuade anyone from making a knowledgeable choice but I would caution anyone considering that route to do a lot of research to assess the risks. In other words- if a 91'-95' or even a 97+ is not fast enough for your style of driving - I would recommend to most people to find a different car. There is little chance IMO that you are going to be able to "slap FI" on there inexpensively and be satisfied or reliable longer term.

Just my O - your mileage may vary.

I just love the black roof look! :D My primary likes of the 97+ are the additional .2L and the 6th gear. Otherwise I am very satisfied with my 91 coupe!

BTW I don't think "settle" is the right word here. I think all NSX owners are extremely fortunate to be able to enjoy such a fine example of automotive engineering!

PHOEN$X said:
I just love the black roof look! :D My primary likes of the 97+ are the additional .2L and the 6th gear. Otherwise I am very satisfied with my 91 coupe!

BTW I don't think "settle" is the right word here. I think all NSX owners are extremely fortunate to be able to enjoy such a fine example of automotive engineering!

Absolutely PHOEN$X, hence the quotation marks. I use the term VERY LOSELY :D

People are making good points. If you feel the difference in cars between a 97 and a pre-97 is worth the price difference, then there is no stopping you. I guess the real deal is...do i want to buy a pre-97 first and then sell it, buy a 97+ after, or just wait and go 97+ now? Saying wait is always the easy answer, but being your typical impatient guy, I want the car now...so sue me :)

For those saying that the ODBII is something to consider, does this mean it really comes into play when you do FI, or anything (such as intake, exhaust, boltons, etc.)? Forgive the ignorance.
Thanks again all, it is really helping a lot.
Tom

PHOEN$X said:
I agree. However, I would hope that Tom agrees, too, and was just posting as a way to determine who might regret not spending more for the '97+, not to "diss" those who have the earlier cars. The fact that he originally put the word in quotation marks would tend to support this.

nsxtasy said:
I agree. However, I would hope that Tom agrees, too, and was just posting as a way to determine who might regret not spending more for the '97+, not to "diss" those who have the earlier cars. The fact that he originally put the word in quotation marks would tend to support this.

exactamundo. :p

EssTooKayTD said:
. . . I guess the real deal is...do i want to buy a pre-97 first and then sell it, buy a 97+ after . . .

That may not be a bad way to go. The early cars have pretty much stopped depreciating, other than inflation. Indeed, KBB values (generally worthless for cars like the NSX) have apparently been going up according to this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31542

You should be able to pick up an early car and run it for a while without taking much of a hit on depreciation.

The same can not be said for the later cars, which are depreciating at a greater rate. Don't get me wrong, the later cars also hold their value extremely well, but they have farther to fall and are newer.

brahtw8 said:
...You should be able to pick up an early car and run it for a while without taking much of a hit on depreciation...

Good point. I bought my 91' NSX in 11/97 for low $30's with nearly 20,000 miles.

I now have 52,000 miles. My car is a well maintained, in good exterior stock condition, excellent interior condition NSX with $8,000 in reversable/desireble NA mods (exhaust, harness, sways, shocks, springs, headers, chip, wheels).

I believe I can get at least what I paid for it six and half years later (not that I would sell it unless I really needed that money).

ajnsx: Don't know abotu you, but a new NSX is way out of my league. No shame admitting that

Hell no, i not ashamed to admit the new nsx is to costly for me. I cannot justify that cost for any car though. I've been luckily enough to have connections to get me a cheap NSX as i'm modifying it to bits anyway :) The only reason why i sold my crx was the opportunity to move to Japan and modify an NSX, now thats addicted!

Here are my reasons for getting a 97 NSX...
After looking at more than 20 differant 91-94 NSXs, and doing some major reading on this site of all the issues and problems to look for. I decided that the 97 was the best, when you consider price upgraded engineering of the NSX in 97+ overall.

Points I considered
91-92 first years of productions, have some issues that were sorted out in 93-94 cars.
1994 is probably the best years pre Targa IMO..less weight same performance as 91's, with upgrade wheels size etc.

1995-96 Heavy and no power upgrade, does have power streering , DBW and Targa.

97....Totally reengineered, these being the publish upgraded
New Al body panels
New 3.2 L engine with FRM
New 6 speed Transmission
Single clutch with dual mass fly wheel
Bigger brakes
Upgraded power streering
More reinforcement on the body and only gaining 4.5 lbs over 95-96 cars.
Most if not all the bugs worked out on this cars....I believe the only issues/recall was to upgrade the PS system.

Cons
Price
Waiting so long to get a great car.

Also, knowing that this the 12th out of 11 97 nsx's sold in Canada is a big PLUS for me (Honda Canada sold 11 cars in 1997 - 9 auto and 3 6speed. I got my car in the US).

So things being what they are I'm a HAPPY Camper.

Bram

I think Bram is right, for the coupe of course with manual transmission. The improvements were compensated by some weight savings and the weight increase over 1991-1994 coupe is very very minimal.

gheba_nsx said:
I think Bram is right, for the coupe of course with manual transmission. The improvements were compensated by some weight savings and the weight increase over 1991-1994 coupe is very very minimal.
Curb weight (full fluids and all standard equipment, no occupants or luggage):

1991-92 5-speed NSX Coupe 3010 pounds
1997-01 6-speed NSX-T 3164 pounds
1997-01 6-speed NSX Coupe Non-Zanardi 3069 pounds
1999 6-speed Zanardi NSX 3015 pounds
2002-04 6-speed NSX-T 3153 pounds

Back