Who do you let instal your tires

I am having my first set of tires put on as an owner tomorrow. My question is this.

Do you let your local tire experts put your tires on. I'm not talking about ind. dealer but a regional or national chain. Up here in the great NorthWest we have Les Schwab. There is also Americas Tire Co.

So if I go and watch these folks, making sure they put each tire where it is to go. Is it ok, or do I need to go seek the recomended tire person for my area. I would rather not drive all over town looking for Mr. Tire God. Please give me your thoughts.

As always thanks for the forum. I would be lost without it.

The only place you should trust, is a place that has the new overhead touchless machines. Most newer larger tire places have these, but still many don't. Ask to see there machine, and remember some deep dish rims need to be mounted upside down only let a very experienced person do your NSX rims!!!

Last edited:
T Bell said:
The only place you should trust, is a place that has the new overhead touchless machines.
Hell, I guess we were all just simply screwed up until lately. :confused:

I will have to do some research to find a pic of the machine type.....

I used to sell rims, and have seen many customers come back asking to buy a new rim, because of some shop damaging their wheel. I have had several personal sets scratched/damaged before these new machines came out. I live in a 300,000 metro area, and only two (2) tire businesses have the new machines. One company will only mount rims/tires OEM to the vehicle, so that leaves us enthusiasts in the area only one choice. They have done 18"-24" etc perfectly. The only rim I heard of that they damaged was a rookie doing an 18" deep dish for a Grand Prix GTP, and he didn't have the rim upside down on the machine. Luckily I heard of the upside down technique from a vet, because a few weeks later, I had the same rim done for my Audi A4!!! They did them upside down, and they came out perfect!.

Just ask if the machine has rubber holds for the inside of the Rim and not a claw which will scratch it the heck out of it. The place near my house that is going to mount my Volks when I get them said there machine is called a Hunter.

It's very tough to find a place that will be very careful in mounting tires so that they do not damage the rims. Some tire chain stores will, with the right people; many won't. Same thing for dealers and for independent mechanics. Try discussing your issues with them. Chances are that a place that takes similar care with the mechanicals on your car will also do so with the wheels.

Steven Spanbauer said:
The place near my house that is going to mount my Volks when I get them said there machine is called a Hunter.
The biggest maker of tire mounting and balancing and alignment equipment is Hunter Engineering Company. Chances are that any place you choose at random uses a Hunter machine. But they have a lot of different models of machines. They show five different tire changing machines on their website.

Morgan from Portland Acura hooked me up. He said to go to Plus one tire in Portland Oregon. Thanks again for the input.

"Uncle"

theWB said:
you wanna ask for hunter gsp9700 mounter and balancer ..with road forcing to assure best ride possible,,,:D

Ok, I give up... I am buying my wheels and tires from Ben. :D

Ask your local car dealers who they send thier 18 and up rims to for tire changes.

T Bell, this the kind of rig that you are talking about?

main.jpg

theWB said:
you wanna ask for hunter gsp9700 mounter and balancer ..with road forcing to assure best ride possible,,,:D
GSP9700 is a balancer, having nothing to do with mounting. Looks like a nice product. Hunter has a GSP9700 website that allows you to look-up a shop that has one near you.

Ben, I'm not sure if I am following you correctly. Are you saying that any shop that has the balancer (GSP9700) will also have a mounting machine as pictured above?

The info they provide on the equipment is interesting. I have always wondered why a car can pull slightly to one side, even though it is perfectly aligned.

well not really but if someone pop for the 15k for the gsp9700 machine i hope they bought the matching mounter which work together ..they are computer controlled machines once conected ..thats the way to go ..the gsp 9700 is a mirical machine ..that road forcing if done right will take all the balancing issues off any wheel might not even nned weights if 100% accurate ...quess how many weights i got on my wheels lol...its just very very time consuming ..this machine will not pass any tire or wheel that has more than 27lbs on road force ..because it doesnt meet the standards..thats why when you go to little shops with out dated equipment they can find why your car is vibrating .. vibration really dosent have anything to do with weight but the roundness of the wheel and tires assemblly..:D ;)

I see, thanks. Yes, that is great information about vibration and how a car can pull to one side, even though it might be aligned correctly or balanced correctly by out-dated equipment. Last year I had the tires on my Excursion rotated, and as soon as I took it on the highway I noticed that I was pulling ever so slightly to the left. I had the shop check the alignment and balance, and everything was spec "okay," at least by their equipment. So, I lived with it, only because nothing could be detected. After reading the Hunter GSP9700 website, along with your posts, it brings a new perspective to what might be my problem. Thanks for sharing.

Back