Who daily drives their NSX?

98R

Hey guys, im a current 98 Type R owner and will be selling the car within a few weeks. Ive been planning to make a big jump to NSX ownership and was wondering who here drives their NSX daily or for the majority of miles weekly (to work, weekends etc..)? Basically i will be looking for a 94-95 NSX preferably, and would be using the car as my primary vehicle... i will obviously have a beater for winter and have access to other cars sometimes for some days during the week. Is the NSX really a good daily driver and adhereing to the standard maintenance schedule, a good choice? The only things possibly holding me back from purchasing the car is the considerable cost of replacement parts and wear items such as the clutch and whatnot. I understand that in buying a 10-year old car, things might be worn or in need of replacements. Your experiences and info are appreciated.

- Kevin

Daily Driver

Just got my 04 in Feb. I was going to keep it a weekend car, but just can't resist driving it every chance I get. So after 2 month of weekend driving, now it is my daily driver.

I know a gentleman here in So. Cal that has over 220k miles on his NSX, that is got to be a daily driver.

:D :D :D

I think it would be smarter to get a 91 and save the money over the 94. The car is basically the same. Save that extra money for ware and tear down the road.

I use mine as a daily driver and I love it. No real expenses, but doing the clutch will suck.

you may think i'm friggen nuts, but i daily drive mine, and i just got done doing the SOS widebody.

everyone tells me to go buy something else to drive during the week, but whats the fun in that?

-Ray

hey 98R- how much do you want for your type r? let me know the details, specs, and price!

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
hey 98R- how much do you want for your type r? let me know the details, specs, and price!

I was about to ask the same question...I have been casually looking for one to go with my VTEC collection.

Daily Driver

Daily average stats:
25 miles/day.
2 times/day deploying and storing car cover

Weekly average stats:
2 washes (1 quick one, 1 thorough)
27 mpg
12 questions to answer about my car
20 thumbs up to return
3 idiots to ignore who want to race me
1 frustrated cop who swears he's gonna get me one of these days
:D

Everyday, all day!

Put my Concorde on blocks in the garage.
Have put 3500km on the 91 in 6-7 weeks.
JUST DO IT!
Trev
Yes, the clutch is going to hurt!

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Not this topic again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Heh... true, but I'll chime in since I just recently aquired my NSX.

I daily drive mine because....
1) I don't get any looks from cops where as in the Civic I do
2) I don't have to worry about it getting stolen as much as I do the Civic
3) It's much nicer to drive the NSX (with A/C) than to drive around in a caged, gutted Civic with a race bucket :p

IS your 98R - Civic or Integra :confused:

I use my Integra for daily and NSX on the weekend drives. I mean if you can afford it, just keep your type-r n get 'X'!

If you use NSX for daily:
- you will soon get tired of getting in and out of NSX, it just too low compare to civic or integra.
- you will get the fear of people going to "key" your NSX which some shithead did to my NSX on the first day I drive it and you can't just park it any where, any day as you like.
- Parts is a lot expensive as well.

If you use NSX for weekend:
- You will love every bit of your NSX and not getting tired of it :D

When you get back to your Type-R on monday:
- You still love your Type-R! :D

I use my 93 as a daily driver. I purchased it in late November 03 with 70,000 miles on the clock and it's now about to hit 95,000 miles.

No issues whatsoever. The odometer is irrelevant.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Not this topic again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Indeed.

98R, let me introduce you to a great feature on these boards. It is called the "search". You can use it by pressing the button near the top of your screen, the one that looks like this:

top_search.gif

So, for example, you can do a search on all previous topics that contain the word "daily" in the title. If you do, you will find 38 topics, including this one, almost all of which answer your question.

NSX G-Force said:
IS your 98R - Civic or Integra :confused:

I use my Integra for daily and NSX on the weekend drives. I mean if you can afford it, just keep your type-r n get 'X'!

If you use NSX for daily:
- you will soon get tired of getting in and out of NSX, it just too low compare to civic or integra.
- you will get the fear of people going to "key" your NSX which some shithead did to my NSX on the first day I drive it and you can't just park it any where, any day as you like.
- Parts is a lot expensive as well.

If you use NSX for weekend:
- You will love every bit of your NSX and not getting tired of it :D

When you get back to your Type-R on monday:
- You still love your Type-R! :D

Ummm....actually, I drive my NSX daily and never get tired of getting in and out of it, and I also have an Integra. I feel lucky to have the NSX to be able to get in and out of. I never really get worried about much, I just avoid driving near any ghetto's, but I do that with all my cars. Parts are expensive, but you should consider that before buying the car in the first place.

I guess it really just depends on perspective. While I may not get tired of getting in and out of my NSX on a daily basis (and I have Sparco racing seats as well), you very well might. It just depends on your tastes. All I know is that I love the NSX and I have an Integra that sits almost all year because I love my NSX so much. Just something to think about... :)

Hugh said:
I use my 93 as a daily driver. I purchased it in late November 03 with 70,000 miles on the clock and it's now about to hit 95,000 miles.

No issues whatsoever. The odometer is irrelevant.

WOOO-HOOOO!!!! Nice job!! I fully agree with you that the odometer is pretty much irrelevant except for keeping track of oil change and service intervals. LOL!!! :D

I'm a former R owner as well, and I daily drive my NSX. I feel like unless it were snowing I wouldn't drive a beater over the X if I had one anyway, this thing is way too enjoyable. Makes me smile everytime I put the roof under the glass and throw myself into the driver's seat. (my implication there is get a 95 and up if possible, I love the "T")

Bob1374 said:
I'm a former R owner as well, and I daily drive my NSX. I feel like unless it were snowing I wouldn't drive a beater over the X if I had one anyway, this thing is way too enjoyable. Makes me smile everytime I put the roof under the glass and throw myself into the driver's seat. (my implication there is get a 95 and up if possible, I love the "T")

Yep...the NSX is too much fun to just let it sit there. :)

Every day with a smile

I just got my NSX and plan to drive mine 365 days a year just as I did with my Porsches. I really enjoy getting up in the morning and opening the garage door and seeing a my daily ride just waiting to be fired up carry me to the office. What better way to start a day at the office than 30 miles in an NSX.

Re: Every day with a smile

jdoner said:
I just got my NSX and plan to drive mine 365 days a year just as I did with my Porsches. I really enjoy getting up in the morning and opening the garage door and seeing a my daily ride just waiting to be fired up carry me to the office. What better way to start a day at the office than 30 miles in an NSX.

Exactly. There is ALWAYS a good part of the day when you drive an NSX. :)

A question for the daily drivers. Where do you guys park your NSX . People today are horrible with there doors , shopping carts and everything else they can throw at your car. Maybe its because I'm from Mass. There isn"t much respect around here. I love my NSX but hate to get out and leave it any where. I would be crushed to walk up and see a ding, dent or scratch.

I've had my '92 for a year and a half and drive it every day. Had 38K miles when I got it and 53K now. I think of getting in and out as a little daily exercise that's well worth it! When I get tired of getting in and out I'll be too old to be driving it. Be prepared for potentially expensive repairs if they occur. Besides mods I've done for about $3K...here's my list of expenses in 1.5 years:

1. 4 wheel alignment $200
2. Replace Cam seals and VTEC selenoids $700 (small leak)
3. Repair coolant "pipe" leak $500
4. New Clutch $2200
5. New rear tires $650 (not stock)
6. Repair anti-lock pump $350
7. Pack leaking CV boot $100
8. Repair HRE wheel curb rash $175
9. 4 synthetic oil changes $200
10. Fix radio (static) $200
11. Repair CD player $200
12. Replace windshield crack (insurance covered)
13. Replace blown radiator hoses $175
14. Dali fix-it thingies-cheap
15. Replace trunk and hatch struts $150 (optional fix)

Total of $5800 all done by a reliable NSX tech. This might be more than normal...I don't know..but it gives you an idea of how much you may have to spend using it as a daily driver. Clutch went right at 50K so expect that and rear tires really don't get more than 10-12K miles. I tried to get all I could out of them and had steel belt starting to show at 12K when replaced. It's a 12 year old car and will need some things fixed, but it's worth it for the daily excitement that doesn't end!! Enjoy it and drive it daily!!

I switch between my Zanardi and my 996 turbo as my daily driver, but luckily my commute to work is only about 8-10 miles both ways (used to be a lot worse).

The parking lot is also nice, and I'm parking with people with whom I work and many of which who also drive nice cars, so no big worries there.

All in all I enjoy it... in fact, the sports cars that interest me are the ones you can drive to work, drive out in the hills or on a canyon run, and also take to the track.

Anything more specilized than that is either more than a sports car (e.g. a race car) or less than a sports car (a 'sporty' car).

A question for the daily drivers. Where do you guys park your NSX

When i need to park the NSX in a parking lot..I park far away from cars..(like I leave lots of open stalls around my car....I hate it when someone parks next to me when there are still plenty of opens stall to chose from..

NCC-1701D said:
When i need to park the NSX in a parking lot..I park far away from cars..(like I leave lots of open stalls around my car....I hate it when someone parks next to me when there are still plenty of opens stall to chose from..

I do the same, park waay out and leave lots of empty parking spaces around me. The part about someone parking next to you when you park way out is a little rude to me, even if they have a nice car as well. Its like, why do you think I parked out here in the first place? Not to have ANYONE beside me :mad:

Back