• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

White Elephants

1. Weight - any ideas where she'll come in?
2. Maintenance - battery pack, twin turbos, electric motors, power steering, clutch/tranny - certainly a wild departure from the original keep it simple program. Tire wear may be the least of the issues this go around. Oh no, I see limp home mode in the future...
3. Body Repairs - carbon fiber, aluminum, exotic steel - wonder if you'll be able to send them back to Ohio or just right 'em off like all the Lambo's and F cars?
4. Design lifetime estimates? Got to love the way our originals have stood up. Hopefully the same type of attention to detail is being paid.

Any more?

Last edited:
All great questions, your guest is as good as anyone. No body really know all these new tech. Only time will tell

I'm really hoping for a 3300lb or lower weight. Its gonna be tough with those electric motors, batteries and lack of exotic building materials but Honda being focussed on the driving experience may find ways to make it happen. 600hp, 40mpg and 3300lb weight would make this car legendary and would warrant the 150k+ they are asking. They would definitely earn my business thats for sure.

Good questions indeed.

On the maintenance - Engine: Force induction engine should not require any special maintenance other than oil and filter at the recommended intervals.
Batteries - There is no maintenances requirements for the battery packs on any hybrid car that I'm aware off.
Transmission - This transimission will probably need more frequent maintenance when compared to a normal automatic transimission, and the fluid will be expensive.
Electric motors, don't require maintenance as such, perhaps just the changing the coolant.
Body - there are some special bonding technique for the various materials., but nothing special with the repairing of these panels.The big and expensive one will be the CF floor, but if this is being replaced the car would be considered total.

On the other hand, you don't have to worry about
-replacing, clutch , timing belts, water pump, possible valve adjustments, starter motors, brakes rotors.

So some good News here.

Last edited:
Good questions indeed.

-replacing, clutch , timing belts, water pump, possible valve adjustments, starter motors, brakes rotors.

So some good News here.

why not these items?

Well I know the brake rotors are formed at such a temperature so hot that they will never warp. Why cause you could never get them that hot again. Brake pads however might get spendy.

The Porsche 918 can weigh just under 3700 lbs depending on equipment, and that's with a carbon fiber monocoque. The Audi R8 can weigh over 3800 lbs and that's without 3 electric motors and a battery pack. Remember the ridiculous Fisker Karma? That thing weighed as much as a Chevy Suburban.
NSX at 3300 lbs is wishful thinking, I won't be surprised if it's pushing 4000! As far as the other "white elephants", nothing the owners who can afford to spend $150k+ will worry about!

Good questions indeed.

On the maintenance - Engine: Force induction engine should not require any special maintenance other than oil and filter at the recommended intervals.
Batteries - There is no maintenances requirements for the battery packs on any hybrid car that I'm aware off.
Transmission - This transimission will probably need more frequent maintenance when compared to a normal automatic transimission, and the fluid will be expensive.
Electric motors, don't require maintenance as such, perhaps just the changing the coolant.
Body - there are some special bonding technique for the various materials., but nothing special with the repairing of these panels.The big and expensive one will be the CF floor, but if this is being replaced the car would be considered total.

So some good News here.

Excellent summary. I'm more curious than worried on the longevity of the turbos, batteries and transmission though considering the high power outputs.

The weight is interesting. The RLX gained ~400 lbs from the FF to SH-AWD model. So imagining a 2,900 lb NSX + 400 lbs = 3,300 lb would be great. However with stringent safety mandates, a 2,900 base NSX would be hard to imagine... So 3,500 lbs give or take is a respectable weight.

I don’t normally post in thread where I have nothing nice to say, but these are some of the dumbest things I have read.

1. Weight - any ideas where she'll come in?
The car will be comparatively light. It is not meant to be a Arial Atom challenger.
I think history will show that the use of the three electric motors will be one of the game changers that the new NSX will bring.
People complain about the weight, but I think they don’t understand the advantages that this setup are going to provide.
Time will tell on this one..

2. Maintenance - battery pack, twin turbos, electric motors, power steering, clutch/tranny - certainly a wild departure from the original keep it simple program. Tire wear may be the least of the issues this go around. Oh no, I see limp home mode in the future...
The original was keep it simply? Are you kidding? The original NSX was packed with new technology.
If you need a list, just review the site some. I’m sure you will be able to find one or two “New” technologies that were in the first NSX.

• Battery packs have been used in cars since the late 1990’s
  • Twin turbos; You can get one for the original NSX and have been around much longer then the NSX.
  • electric motors – see point one
  • power steering – The original NSX was the first car to use electric power steering.
  • clutch/tranny – This is not the first dual clutch in the world

3. Body Repairs - carbon fiber, aluminum, exotic steel - wonder if you'll be able to send them back to Ohio or just right 'em off like all the Lambo's and F cars?
Again, The original NSX was the first all-aluminum automobile. Most shops at that time were not prepared to work on them and it caused shops to have to invest in aluminum only tools. Carbon fiber, aluminum, exotic steel are all pretty standard in the present day. Your still not going to take it to any shop, but it is easier to find shops that can handle these now than it was in 1991.

Last edited:
The original was keep it simply? Are you kidding? The original NSX was packed with new technology.
If you need a list, just review the site some. I’m sure you will be able to find one or two “New” technologies that were in the first NSX.

I think he meant that the original NSX does not require insanly priced maintenance like most supercars. Also it is fairly problem free (at least mine has been). "Change the oil and the thing will run forever" etc.

I'm really curious if the new NSX will be as easy. I doubt it though. I expect with the new premium price it will come with the type of maintenance other cars in that category have (i.e. 911, R8, GTR)

I think he meant that the original NSX does not require insanly priced maintenance like most supercars. Also it is fairly problem free (at least mine has been). "Change the oil and the thing will run forever" etc.

I'm really curious if the new NSX will be as easy. I doubt it though. I expect with the new premium price it will come with the type of maintenance other cars in that category have (i.e. 911, R8, GTR)

I would expect that the new NSX is as trouble-free as any Honda product. A twin-turbo v-6 does not require any exotic kind of maintenance and electric motors are actually exceptionally reliable. Now, I do agree that the components that are required to integrate the 3 motors with the engine to create a "Power Unit" is new technology that may have some bugs and/or be harder to service in your own garage, but I wouldn't expect the maintenance on the new NSX to be out of line with other Acura’s.

The original NSX was a little more to service and the new one should be similar.

With that said, I believe that Acura needs to work hard to promote itself as a premium brand in the US and that normally comes with higher costs.
In the 90’s I would have put Acura in line with Lexus, but at the current time they have some catching up to do.

I don’t normally post in thread where I have nothing nice to say, but these are some of the dumbest things I have read.

The car will be comparatively light. It is not meant to be a Arial Atom challenger.
I think history will show that the use of the three electric motors will be one of the game changers that the new NSX will bring.
People complain about the weight, but I think they don’t understand the advantages that this setup are going to provide.
Time will tell on this one..

• Battery packs have been used in cars since the late 1990’s
  • Twin turbos; You can get one for the original NSX and have been around much longer then the NSX.
  • electric motors – see point one
  • power steering – The original NSX was the first car to use electric power steering.
  • clutch/tranny – This is not the first dual clutch in the world

Again, The original NSX was the first all-aluminum automobile. Most shops at that time were not prepared to work on them and it caused shops to have to invest in aluminum only tools. Carbon fiber, aluminum, exotic steel are all pretty standard in the present day. Your still not going to take it to any shop, but it is easier to find shops that can handle these now than it was in 1991.

FWIW, Weight is a factor for those folks who will be tracking the car, a heavier car uses up more pads/rotors as well as eating up tires and puts a lot more stress on suspension components while cornering.

Someone who does not intend to track the car probably would care less about the weight, same goes for Forced Induction and Hybrid Power they both require substantial cooling. Batteries degrade when deep cycled, and recharged in surges (as would be seen in a track environment).

Should be interesting to see what kind of warranty exclusions the NSX2.0 might have when it becomes available.

Back