Which (what year) NSX hold its value the best?

Newbie here...Guess what I am asking is what year NSX has took its hit and is best to buy or is at the bottom of its depreciation curve and possibly heading back up in some time? Looking for a good car in mid 20's to low 30's range soon but I want one that will not loose a whole lot more in value. So what year is best to buy with how many miles on it? Trying to start the research because I am not sure whats a better buy value wise..

91-95 NSX
97-98 Lotus esprite twin turbo

Want to add another exotic to my collection but dont want to get anything still taking a big hit. Think the lotus's are still declining, has any year NSX stabilized? I hadly put any milage on anything I collect.

With your budget I don't think you're going to have much choice. As a collector, I assume you want to purchase a vehicle that is a close to perfect as possible. Perfect condition, low miles, all service records...

With your budget you can probably get a 91-93 car. Those seem to be holding their value pretty well over the past 5 years.

a Lotus is not something you want to tangle with...

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

With your price range, you will probably get into a decent 1991 with average miles in good condition ( aim for the higher 20's, low 30's ).

The early NA1s have basically reached their bottom end and the first year of the car, 1991, might hold special value to a collector.

I know you said you won't put many miles on the car, but the miles in the NSX will be much less of a headache than the Lotus.

With your price range, you will probably get into a decent 1991 with average miles in good condition ( aim for the higher 20's, low 30's ).

The early NA1s have basically reached their bottom end and the first year of the car, 1991, might hold special value to a collector.

I know you said you won't put many miles on the car, but the miles in the NSX will be much less of a headache than the Lotus.

^ agreed. GENERALLY speaking, a NICE 91 can be found for low 30's.

A 97-98 Esprit (No E!) will be a HUGE headache. Lots of engine and tranny issues those year as they were the first for the v8s.

You are much better off with an older (S4, S4S) Esprit. Like 93-95.

91s and 2004-2005s hold their value the best.

91s seemed to have bottomed out.

04 and 05s hold up well because they are the last model years ever to be produced for the NSX. They have all the latest updates, and are the newest NSXs you can ever buy.

Greetings

They only made 166 in 2001 and 171 in 2003. That might make those 2 years the most collectible. There are 862 G2's (models from 2002 through 2005). It might be the Zanardi or the Type R. It is really a crap shoot.

Value is also in the mind of the beholder. Which ever year you purchase will be priceless to you.

Cheers,
Martin

With your budget you can probably get a 91-93 car. Those seem to be holding their value pretty well over the past 5 years.

a Lotus is not something you want to tangle with...

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

LMAO!!! Man I have never heard or seen Lotus spelled out this way :smile:

Definately try and pick yourself up a stock 91 or 92 for the price range you are looking at. I don't think we will see 91-94 NSX's depreciate anymore and quite honestly may appreciate as time goes on.

Last edited:
LMAO!!! Man I have never heard or seen Lotus spelled out this way :smile:

Definately try and pick yourself up a stock 91 or 92 for the price range you are looking at. I don't think we will see 91-94 NSX's depreciate anymore and quite honestly may appreciate as time goes on.

Yep this is exactly what I am looking for. An Exotic that hit the bottom of its curve. I guess a completely stock one will hold is value better than modified, but I would love one with a comptech on it. Have on 01 RT/10 with only 7k miles on it and it has held its value really well. Only 800 were made for that year. I would drive the NSX more though and leave the RT in the garage. Problem with the RT/10 is parking it anywhere. Find everyone wants their picture with it, you find hand prints and finger prints all over it when you come back. Sometimes jealous people even spit on it. Some guys on the viper forum told me they have been keyed for no reason which I am terrified of as mine is showroom cond. Does the NSX bring this kind of attention as well? Also how difficult is the NSX to work on? I started on Muscle cars building V-8's but when I opened the hood awhile back on 99 E55 amg I once owned I screamed and slammed it shut. Is the NA1 a complicated mid engine mess? Does not look like there is a ton of room there? I am hearing these cars can do 150K miles with regular maintanence. What are the things to look for (ie new clutch, etc) in the 91- 94's?

Thanks for your reply's...

These car will do 200-300K miles with regular maintenance. I do not work on mine very much, just some minor things. Major services are best left to the experienced NSX techs. Timing Belt and Water Pump (TB/WP) are a biggie as well as the clutch as mentioned. A/C troubles can get costly and window regulators are troublesome on the early cars. Stereos and Climate Control Units are also notorious for needing rebuilt. Luckily we have a member that fixes those things. The NSX also attracts quite a bit of attention depending where you live. I don't like to park mine unattended either. Especially with a black car, handprints and scratches show up so easy.

This car will get you attention. The brighter the color the more attention. We have seen them get keyed for no reason as well. If you want to blend in get a P car. They are so comon most people will leave P cars alone.

The engine is very sophisticated but not overly complex compared to cars of today. This forum has a mature following, longevity, and a tremendous wealth of information on just about every conceivable issue, that, most problems or questions can be resolved in hours or days not even weeks. There are Gurus here who know the car inside and out and many with over 17 years of experience with the car as well as aftermarket companies who specialize in little else. Hunt around the Forum and you will be amazed, I know I was. This is a great community to be come a part of.

Good luck,

Tytus

The model year that's the best to buy is any year.
Because of the economy, I have never seen so many NSXs
for sale at the same time, and so many being re-posted
month after month, with repeated price drops. Garage queens,
modified, salvage...lots to choose from.

You are in a good position to make a steal now...like the
housing situation!

Looking to buy in about 6-8 months so starting the research now. I like to know everything I can about the car first so I know what to look for when I buy. This forum seems like a great place to start. will read back on fixes and upgrades etc. I am a very good "do it your selfer".

Would love to find a 91-94 garage queen. I can spend hours waxing these things and to me thats enjoyment.

Found a color I have not seen before on an NSX and it was factory painted. Was almost like a purple but a little darker. Actually looked pretty good. Really Like the blue as well. But not sure what choices I have for 91-94 besides red or black.

Sorry for the ignorance but Is a P car a Porsche?

Color choices are limited for 91-94. Red, black, silver, white (in 92) and Brooklands green (in 94). The purple you are referring to is called Midnight Pearl and was only available in 95 and 96, I believe.

Back