Which vehicle would you prefer?

01a4man said:
I'm sorry I did not mean to offend anyone with this post. I understand completely what you mean about a biased opinion here. I am only aksing advice here because generally an NSX owner in my opinion would have their "ducks in a row" so to speak and would be able to give a clear opinion. A prime example of this would be that several members have already talked about have issues locating parts and techs to service the car and the overall hassle of importing and conversion. Some of the people I have talked to in other venues are like " dude, you got to get the skyline that would be so cool"!! I have to disagree with you though about having my mind made up already. I am still trying to decide between the two and trying to keep in mind all the positive and negative aspects to both vehicles. Thank you again everyone for your input on this and if any of you have other opinions please let me know.

Thanks

Chris

I'm not at all offended by this. It's just an observation from reading all the comments made on this thread. I wish you the best of luck in finding the right car that suites your needs. :wink:

dave22 said:
Before you buy a Skyline you need to get in touch with FDNewbie. He can help you sort through all the (mis)information about Federalizing a Skyline. And he's in NOVA.
Thanks Dave ;) He's right. I've got four Skylines currently running around the streets. An R32 GTS-4, an R33 (been here for TWO years +), and two R34s, one of which is my own personal vehicle (which is for sale). Cars are fully federalized, brought in for street use as shown on the Customs paperwork, have no bond on them, certified by the DOT/NHTSA & EPA, and get this: the two R34s are the ONLY two R34s in the entire US that are actually tagged and titled as 1998 R34s. If you don't know, Motorex was titling R34s as 1995 vehicles to get around OBD-II requirements. So our R34s are the only correctly tagged R34s in the nation :D

01a4man said:
I have been actively looking for a 2002 NSX for a while now and still have not really found anything that I would be happy with. On a recent trip to Scotland I found a 97 Skyline that was beautiful. The Skyline would be a little cheaper after conversion costs than the NSX but, I cannot make up my mind. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.
Hey man. You're in Fairfax...you gotta hit me up sometime. I'm in Vienna, and I have an R34. In fact, I work for the only company currently bringing in 100% fully federalized Skylines, down to the tee. But I don't want to say too much b/c I'm not here to advertise for a company.

On that note, a LOT of the questions you guys have, I have already answered in this post: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=501080&postcount=39 It's long, but thorough. I suggest you read it before listening to the hype, because most ppl only know the old school Motorex way, or bringing the cars in in pieces, then reassembling them as kit cars - which are, by the way, still subject to seizure.

Vancehu said:
Well, you gotta consider the fact that he is in VA, the service is easy in California, but east coast? Like you said, find a good tech, so good luck in VA. I'm sure some one will service that car out there.
We have at least three very experienced shops that work on Skylines on the East Coast. One is in Delaware, one is in Northern VA, and another is in South Carolina. I've heard of Frederick Nissan, but have no personal experience w/ them. And I have a direct connection w/ NISMO Japan, so any part that's in stock can be had within 4 business days.

01a4man said:
Thanks for all the input. The R33 would be cheaper because of the following:

Decent R33 about 20k US

Conversion can cost anywhere between 18k-22k

Shipping cost about 2-3k including insurance for oversea transport
That's pretty much on the money. As a reference, our Grade 4 and up GTRs run $30K for R32s, $45K for R33s, and $60K for R34s. Those are all starting prices (Vspecs, pristine low mileage vehicles, Tommy Kaira editions, heavily modded vehicles etc all add to the cost). But those prices include EVERYTHING. The car, inspection, preventative maintenance, shipping, federalization, Customs fees, tax, title, registration, insurance, the whole 9. That's what you pay to pick it up and drive it home, unlike Motorex where you dropped $60K, then had $25K in ADDITIONAL fees to pay!!

I would like to purchase an R34 but the car alone for a decent one is about 50k then, 35-39k for conversion plus shipping costs.
Whaa? Dude, I'm talking about $60K out the door, fully federalized, ready to drive. If you get fancy, it may hit $70K. That's a LOT less than the prices you quoted.

The only down sides that I can see are these:

No warranty
I'd think you'd modify it to the point a warranty would be voided anyway ;)

Up to a year getting the car converted
Nope. Try 3 months, from deposit to delivery ;)

Insurance said they would cover it but, they will not quote me until the car is converted here in the states. (USAA)
Of course. But all I had to do to get my R34 covered was call. 15 minutes saved me 15% or more on my car insurance :p: And it's a stated value policy too. You tell 'em how much, and they'll insure up to that amount, no questions asked. They will, however, like you said, require a VIN, and proof the car was federalized (to ensure it's safe, and thus they can insure it).

Not having anyway to find out how the car has been treated until its too late.
Nope. Any GOOD business would have the vehicles 100% inspected front to back, mechanical and body, have preventative maintenance performed prior to shipping from overseas, and guarantee the car would be in stated condition, or your money back. And when I deal w/ Skylines, I try and mess w/ Grade 4 and up vehicles ONLY (classified as very good condition and up). The vehicles are inspected to meet this rigorous criterion even prior to my buying it overseas. If it doesn't meet it, I don't buy it. That's also why I prefer to deal w/ higher end dealerships overseas, instead of messing w/ private owners, because dealers stand by their cars. There are dealerships that sell ONLY Skylines or high end pristine vehicles. The cars come w/ service history and the whole 9.

Here on the East Coast I found out that there is a Nissan dealer in Fredrick MD that actually works on them and has experience doing so. Most, not all of course of the parts are interchangeable.
Eh...kinda. I heard of the guy in Frederick. My friend has his R32 GTR worked on over there. I have my own guys that I trust in NoVa. Coincidentally, he's one of the few NSX master mechanics in the area :D

As for parts...they're interchangeable more on the older Skylines (R32s and R33s), and not so much on the R34s. But then again, that's why I made sure I have a direct connection w/ NISMO Japan, cuz w/o it, you hear the horror stories of waiting 3 months for a part :O

If you have any questions or just wanna kick it, get a feel for what it's like to have a Skyline etc, drop me a line. (Who knows...maybe you can hook me up on a discount to 3M my RX-7?? :D) But yea...email's best, since this forum's notification emails don't get through to my AOL account, so I have no idea when someone replies or PMs me.

~Ramy
[email protected]

Last edited:
Back