Which vehicle would you prefer?

I have been actively looking for a 2002 NSX for a while now and still have not really found anything that I would be happy with. On a recent trip to Scotland I found a 97 Skyline that was beautiful. The Skyline would be a little cheaper after conversion costs than the NSX but, I cannot make up my mind. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

01a4man said:
I have been actively looking for a 2002 NSX for a while now and still have not really found anything that I would be happy with. On a recent trip to Scotland I found a 97 Skyline that was beautiful. The Skyline would be a little cheaper after conversion costs than the NSX but, I cannot make up my mind. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

Coversion cost will be cheaper on the Skyline... I'm not sure about that, but a 2002 or new NSX will definitely be cheaper for the long run, parts will be available through local dealers, and much eaiser for service. Plus NSX is in a higher class.

I would think the importing and conversion of the Skyline would be way more costly than a 02 NSX.
Plus, no telling how long it would take. Could get hung up for months.

I would go with 02 NSX, it far better looking.

97 skyline is R33, which is really ugly imho, NSX definitely kill it in the look department. Maybe you should consider 99 R34 GTR instead, looks a million times nicer than R33.

I agree with the previous poster...

If it was skyline was 99 and up (say 2001) i would go for the skyline...

but since its a 97 R33......the nsx would be the smarter choice..

for the love of god... ... not that i do. Get a R34 if you can. Or else get the NSX. R34 or nothing.

Vancehu said:
Coversion cost will be cheaper on the Skyline... I'm not sure about that, but a 2002 or new NSX will definitely be cheaper for the long run, parts will be available through local dealers, and much eaiser for service. Plus NSX is in a higher class.

The R33 can be converted for $25K, and a whole car from Motorex for a 97 is $61-$63 depending on the model (GT-S, GT-R, V-Spec II, in that order) so the price is comparable and could be even better if you find a good one on your own for the right price, and the RB26DETT is well known for being bomb proof, able to hand 500+ hp with ease, so maintenance shouldn't be that big of a deal, the only issue I could think of is the ATTESA 4WD system could get pricy if problems arise. I know one of the top mechanics at Infiniti Mission Viejo, who worked on the police’s R34 demonstrator, (I think he said it was their D.A.R.E. car for kids, makes me want to be a cop to get that job :biggrin:) but he said that general servicing isn't that much at all, and can be done if the right person is found.

Now on the issue on what to get, well my philosophy on cars has always been 'to each their own' but on pure looks has to be the NSX hands down, but performance and rarity the R33. Also I somewhat like the stealth aspect of the R33, not everyone knows what it is except car nuts, so you won't attrack attention, but most cops do know what they are because of street racing so that may be a problem, just ask prova4re and the Mischief V Dynasty crew.

Made in the USA said:
The R33 can be converted for $25K, and a whole car from Motorex for a 97 is $61-$63 depending on the model (GT-S, GT-R, V-Spec II, in that order) so the price is comparable and could be even better if you find a good one on your own for the right price, and the RB26DETT is well known for being bomb proof, able to hand 500+ hp with ease, so maintenance shouldn't be that big of a deal, the only issue I could think of is the ATTESA 4WD system could get pricy if problems arise. I know one of the top mechanics at Infiniti Mission Viejo, who worked on the police’s R34 demonstrator, (I think he said it was their D.A.R.E. car for kids, makes me want to be a cop to get that job :biggrin:) but he said that general servicing isn't that much at all, and can be done if the right person is found.

Now on the issue on what to get, well my philosophy on cars has always been 'to each their own' but on pure looks has to be the NSX hands down, but performance and rarity the R33. Also I somewhat like the stealth aspect of the R33, not everyone knows what it is except car nuts, so you won't attrack attention, but most cops do know what they are because of street racing so that may be a problem, just ask prova4re and the Mischief V Dynasty crew.

Well, you gotta consider the fact that he is in VA, the service is easy in California, but east coast? Like you said, find a good tech, so good luck in VA. I'm sure some one will service that car out there.

Thanks for all the input. The R33 would be cheaper because of the following:

Decent R33 about 20k US

Conversion can cost anywhere between 18k-22k

Shipping cost about 2-3k including insurance for oversea transport

I would like to purchase an R34 but the car alone for a decent one is about 50k then, 35-39k for conversion plus shipping costs. I have always wanted an NSX but, see this as a chance to own a really rare car here in the US. I am not trying to bait anyone here and I am sorry if it seems that I am but, I really am not trying to.

The only down sides that I can see are these:

No warranty

Up to a year getting the car converted

Insurance said they would cover it but, they will not quote me until the car is converted here in the states. (USAA)

Not having anyway to find out how the car has been treated until its too late.

Here on the East Coast I found out that there is a Nissan dealer in Fredrick MD that actually works on them and has experience doing so. Most, not all of course of the parts are interchangeable. I am sorry for the really bad spelling and grammer but, its late and I am really tired. Thanks again everyone for your input and please keep it coming.

Chris

no comparison, do you want a sports car, or do you want an exclusive super car? Go with the NSX.

i also have a soft spot in my heart for the R33 (even the R32 gets my blood going). These cars are from a different page in automotive history and you could say that in some instances they helped write it. Adding to the fact that it isn't a car sold here at all (not like the civic type r, 180sx, silvia that are only a mechanical conversion from their counterparts available here) the skyline really is something special.

The NSX is special on similar ground however the skyline is more of a "sports car" in every way but one... AWD :frown: . If it were me, i couldn't justify spending close to 50K on a car that lacks the classic driving dynamics of a "sports car". Who knows, maybe by the time i have kids the idea of a sports car will change and awd and forced induction will be part of that definition, it will be a sad day (for me) when that happens.

Either way you will have a rare car. You will be part of the elite few that has experienced what either car has to offer and you'll have the driving enjoyment that has forced other companies to scurry off to their design boards and evolve their perspective models.

Good luck!

I love skylines, and would love to own one someday, but have you considered whats going to have to happen when you have a 10 year old car that needs replacement parts, and is not even sold in the USA ?

Your going to have to ship parts directly from Japan to repair your super exotic skyline then.

Nothing beats the reliability of the Nsx, and being able to order replacement parts through your local dealership. I just ordered a replacement clamshell strap for my top, and some replacement air filters. Got them in 3-4 days and got a nicely discounted price on these items too ! Good luck getting discounted parts from Japan for your skyline !

01a4man said:
Thanks for all the input. The R33 would be cheaper because of the following:

Decent R33 about 20k US

Conversion can cost anywhere between 18k-22k

Shipping cost about 2-3k including insurance for oversea transport

I would like to purchase an R34 but the car alone for a decent one is about 50k then, 35-39k for conversion plus shipping costs. I have always wanted an NSX but, see this as a chance to own a really rare car here in the US. I am not trying to bait anyone here and I am sorry if it seems that I am but, I really am not trying to.

The only down sides that I can see are these:

No warranty

Up to a year getting the car converted

Insurance said they would cover it but, they will not quote me until the car is converted here in the states. (USAA)

Not having anyway to find out how the car has been treated until its too late.

Here on the East Coast I found out that there is a Nissan dealer in Fredrick MD that actually works on them and has experience doing so. Most, not all of course of the parts are interchangeable. I am sorry for the really bad spelling and grammer but, its late and I am really tired. Thanks again everyone for your input and please keep it coming.

Chris

I'm not trying to debate with you either, but I should point out the obvious. Well it seems like you already have you mind made up to buy a Skyline. I mean what do you think most everyone here on NSXPrime is going to tell you to buy? After all this forum is a NSX forum and most of the response(s) here would appearently be bias towards the NSX. I'm pretty sure that you would get a totally opposite response if you were to ask the same line of questioning in a Skyline forum, don't you think?

prez1967 said:
The NSX is special on similar ground however the skyline is more of a "sports car" in every way but one... AWD :frown:

I would have to disagree on this comment here. IMHO a true "sports car" in my book seats only (2). Correct me if I'm wrong, but any car IMO that have the capacity to seat more then (2) is not a true "sports car", it's more of a "sports touring car".

NMYMIRR said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but any car IMO that have the capacity to seat more then (2) is not a true "sports car", it's more of a "sports touring car".
Except of course the MClaren F1. :wink: :biggrin:

Otherwise, I agree; the Skyline is less of a true sportscar and IMO does not have supercar looks. It does poses supercar rarity and performance, but not supercar rubber neck (from the general public at least).

NMYMIRR said:
I'm not trying to debate with you either, but I should point out the obvious. Well it seems like you already have you mind made up to buy a Skyline. I mean what do you think most everyone here on NSXPrime is going to tell you to buy? After all this forum is a NSX forum and most of the response(s) here would appearently be bias towards the NSX. I'm pretty sure that you would get a totally opposite response if you were to ask the same line of questioning in a Skyline forum, don't you think?

I would have to disagree on this comment here. IMHO a true "sports car" in my book seats only (2). Correct me if I'm wrong, but any car IMO that have the capacity to seat more then (2) is not a true "sports car", it's more of a "sports touring car".

I'm sorry I did not mean to offend anyone with this post. I understand completely what you mean about a biased opinion here. I am only aksing advice here because generally an NSX owner in my opinion would have their "ducks in a row" so to speak and would be able to give a clear opinion. A prime example of this would be that several members have already talked about have issues locating parts and techs to service the car and the overall hassle of importing and conversion. Some of the people I have talked to in other venues are like " dude, you got to get the skyline that would be so cool"!! I have to disagree with you though about having my mind made up already. I am still trying to decide between the two and trying to keep in mind all the positive and negative aspects to both vehicles. Thank you again everyone for your input on this and if any of you have other opinions please let me know.

Thanks

Chris

I have seen several R32 and R33 Skyline around the DC/VA/MD area so you may want to hit up some Skyline forum to see if you can get more realistic view of owning a Skyline around here.

I bought the NSX for looks first and performance (close) second... if you are on the same page, I'd go for the NSX. It is gorgeous to look at and a real head turner. I admit, I've never liked Skylines... I respect the performance, but I've seen Civics break 10 seconds in the quarter mile and they're still a civic. Just not that attractive to me.

Since you asked, Go with the NSX...

I ponder the skyline often. Im getting ready to close on a new house and my NSX is nearly paid off. I dont mind having one car payment at all times and after Im secured financially I going to buy another toy to sit aside the NSX. Supra, Skyline, 348/355, Porsche Turbo, RX7? I would love a Skyline and I have dealer plates so federalizing doesnt pertain to me. If insurance is a problem, I would have to go thru the process of federalization. Tons of shops can work on a Skyline; the Acura dealer in MD that did my CTSC install has a Nissan store that works on them all the time. Do I want to drive a RHD car? What happens if I smack it up. Replacements parts for body panels would be tough to acquire. No warranty doesnt bother me. The exotic factor is also lost; if I was looking to pick up teenage boys that might be a good choice :rolleyes:

Back