Which Tranny Fluid should I run?

Its time to change my tranny fluid? I looked in the FAQ and I'm not kinda up in the air as to which brand to buy? Whats everyone else running in their cars? I'm leaning towards the Redline MT90, does anyone know where I can buy some online????

I've been thinking about this also. In the early spring when cold, my car would grind a bit on the 1-2 shift. Now that its warm out, its fine. Could switching to a different trans oil make shifting better and smoother even when cold?

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

PUREVIL.

You can go to the "Directory" on this site to get the phone # of Redline. You can order it directly over the phone, shipped to your door.

This quesiton has come up many times. I use Honda MTF and have been happy with the shifting in my 1991.

I will say the general opinion is Honda MTL or Redline work well.

HTH,
LarryB

MikeC - I think the grind on 1-2 when cold is a well known NSX issue. I don't know if changing tranny oil will help but someone replied to one of my posts many months ago that you can eliminate most/all of the grinding (while waiting for it to come up to operating temp) if you pause in neutral for a second before continuing on to second. Even without double clutching, I found this to be extremely effective.

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver
100K+ miles & still going strong

I just changed my Tranny oil and used MTL. At first, I was not happy. Shifting was very notchy and a bit stiff. Since my NSX only had 17.5k miles on it when it became mine, I'm sure the fluid was factory original. I was going to put some new Honda lub in when I noticed the next day the shifting became very smooth and fluid. Don't know why but just from the oil sitting there in the tranny over night, the shifting was great. The only thing I can think of is the MTL needed time to "soak" into all the right parts of the tranny. If you try MTL or the heavier stuff, give it a couple of days before making your final judgement. Good luck.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Stock as a rock - #0030

I have used many different brands and wieght of tranny fluids on my 91. I HIGHLY recomend the OEM Honda fluid. It has been the best.

In my opinion, for the best "aftermarket" fluid, I would recomend REDLINE. It works great on the track.

If you guys feel that your cluth pedal is a little spungy, try to bleed the forgotten CLUTCH FLUID (when was the last time yours got flushed). In my experience after I bled the clutch fluid, the pedal feels much more firm/precise, making it easier to engage/disengage the clutch, may result in less grinds.

Very easy do-it-yourself, much like bleeding the brakes.
http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000017.html

In my quest to provide only the best for my NSX. I tried Redline oil in the transmission and found that I would lose all hydraulic pressure when depressing the clutch. I found the reservoir was losing fluid at a slow but steady pace. My mechanic suggested returning to Hondas spec fluid and the problem was corrected with no reoccurence. I'm sticking with Honda's OEM tranny oil.

Back