which one to choose? hmm...

which color nsx to choose?

• Total voters
Hi, i have a dilemma. I dont know which na1 nsx color to choose. I first wanted the NFR with black top, then wanted BB, then liked all NFR, now see a silver colored one here in az for sale. So which one is most common or most and least appealing to you guys and people in general? Not that i am concerned with what people think of my car but just need some help finalizing my decision! wish i could have one in each color like on a video game! lol

my answer.... whichever one has the best maintenance and mileage.

I used to be picky about colors. I didn't want red... only wanted white then opened up to black then red then silver and everything under the rainbow. I'll take anything. They all look amazing in any OEM color.

good advice blackwindexe. i have been thinking that way also. i belive the silver with black top may be best value for me currently.

any one have advice on which color needs less maintenance? im assuming black is hardest to keep clean looking? what about silver and red?

Technically NFR with a black top is not available. Formula Red with a Black top is. (no real difference)

+1 to Blackwindexe

best maintenance history and mileage, those factors can't be changed

Don't care for silver, its not a german car...
Black looks cool but a pita to keep clean/glossy/etc
Red and certain blues show the lines better
or just wrap it in whatever you want
we have folks in AZ that do that too

whichever one has the best maintenance and mileage.

Hold on thar Babaoui......everyone knows that Sebring Silver is the fastest of all colors. Red is a cop magnet sure to slow you down - blues ok, so are the "other" colors and black is surely a PITA to maintain.

What are you looking for in an NSX? What's your budget AMD30?

Hi, i have a dilemma. I dont know which na1 nsx color to choose. I first wanted the NFR with black top, then wanted BB, then liked all NFR, now see a silver colored one here in az for sale. So which one is most common or most and least appealing to you guys and people in general? Not that i am concerned with what people think of my car but just need some help finalizing my decision! wish i could have one in each color like on a video game! lol

I know all the silver owners are gonna kill me for this LOL but to me an exotic, or any sports car for that matter, shouldn't really be made in silver. It's too plain and belongs on a sedan. Which I loved silver on my Lincoln LS years ago (perfect example). I know they are more rare then of course the red NSX but if you want a rare color go for blue or even the green. To me it's either black or red and when I was looking for one I was torn as well and was really trying to stay away from the red (since there's a bunch of them). But when I finally found my NSX and instantly fell in love at first sight, believe it or not it was a red one. So I'm currently a proud owner of a red NSX and wouldn't change it if I had the chance, maybe buy another one of a different color :biggrin: I prefer the black roof to the painted as well. I think even if I had a matching roof, I'd painted black (to me it looks better). Then again these are merely my opinions, so please don't shoot me! LOL :biggrin: :tongue:

EDIT: Although if I had a silver one I'd have to put a MR.WOLF tag on it LOL

Last edited:
NA1?????

what do you mean??

the pop-up lights or the fixed bubble eyes?

NA1 and NA2 is the engine size 3.0L or 3.2L

so you could have a 1991 NA1 or a 2005 NA1

so with that said,

I think Black 1991-2001 looks the best. ( pop-up lights )

now from 2002-2005 Silver looks the best. ( fixed lights )

NA1?????

what do you mean??

so with that said,

You can have a NA1 2005??? I didnt know that if thats correct. Black would be so hard to take care of but wow this car black looks way to cool. All the coolest guys pick the silver ones:cool:.

I beg to differ. NA1 and NA2 is the chassis code. C30 and C32 is the engine. So yes, you can have a C30 in an NA2... but there is no 2005 NA1 chassis.

NA1?????

what do you mean??

so with that said,

I beg to differ. NA1 and NA2 is the chassis code. C30 and C32 is the engine. So yes, you can have a C30 in an NA2... but there is no 2005 NA1 chassis.
Okay, I could possible learn something new today too. We do know the NA1, and NA2 is the chassis code, but then what makes the chassis an NA1 vs NA2 then? NA2 is 1997+ with the C32 and 6 Speed. So as we know the automatics have the C30, so what makes them an NA2 vs NA1? Just wondering.

Sorry OP for getting off topic.

Personally I like White as I used to have a GPW, but I also like traditional Black/Black, and Silver/Black. I also like the Montecarlo Blue/Black and Monaco Blue/Black. Honestly, at this point I'd take any NSX even though red would probably be my last choice.

Okay, I could possible learn something new today too. We do know the NA1, and NA2 is the chassis code, but then what makes the chassis an NA1 vs NA2 then? NA2 is 1997+ with the C32 and 6 Speed. So as we know the automatics have the C30, so what makes them an NA2 vs NA1? Just wondering.

Disregarding the engine/transmission, there aren't any other significant changes. It's just a year of manufacturing difference. 91-96 is NA1, 97+ is NA2. If you follow the JDM lingo, then the 97-01 NA2 is called "zenki" (or before change) and the 02+ NA2 (fixed headlights) is called "kouki" (or after change). The same lingo applies to the minor differences in many other JDM vehicles.

Back on topic though... I'm partial to FR with the black roof... but I'm biased. :) Black is also a great choice but I avoided it purely because it's very difficult to keep clean on a daily driver. Silver is sexy and rarer to boot.

Last edited:

All of the four 2005 automatics in the U.S, had a NA1 engine designation in the vin.

There are none for sale right now so I could not get a vin number to show you but here is a example of a 2002 Automatic (same body style) and it does have a NA1 engine designation in the vin. 2002 Acura NSX Automatic

NA1/NA2 in the Vin is NOT a chassis designation. It is the engine designation portion of the vin.

All of the four 2005 automatics in the U.S, had a NA1 engine designation in the vin.

There are none for sale right now so I could not get a vin number to show you but here is a example of a 2002 Automatic (same body style) and it does have a NA1 engine designation in the vin. 2002 Acura NSX Automatic

NA1/NA2 in the Vin is NOT a chassis designation. It is the engine designation portion of the vin.

Wow. That is odd they decided to number it like that. Just to be be totally clear, NA1/NA2 isn't *just* the engine designation. Even the service manuals list those digits as "body type", apparently that includes the engine type on the NSX. The following two digits designate it as manual (15) or auto (26).

Wow. That is odd they decided to number it like that. Just to be be totally clear, NA1/NA2 isn't *just* the engine designation. Even the service manuals list those digits as "body type", apparently that includes the engine type on the NSX. The following two digits designate it as manual (15) or auto (26).

Ah grasshopper, you have a service manual and are reading it. Good start.:smile:

You will find more that is odd as you continue if you are paying attention and it seems you are!

Bear in mind, the manual was written way BEFORE they had a NA2 engine or a 2002+ model and such might of not been anticipated when they chose their verbiage for the translation. You will find as you continue your studies that the manual has errors and information that is outdated as time went on and never corrected and passed from the first edition to the second. LarrryB, Pres. of the NSXCA and mechanical master, and I have noted and discussed them on occasion.
If you show up to the NSXPO2011 and join us at martini time we can discuss this some more.:biggrin:

There is NO chassis change. There is just one chassis. Except for the addition of a few reinforcements when the T, the removable roof panel, was introduced and slight modifications(a hole cut, small bracket added and some pieces at the right inner quarter) for the fixed headlamps and emissions pump, the chassis is the same throughout production. Same metal gauge, grade and construction as well.

It is delightful to have a new member who is obviously serious and earnest is his pursuit but before you feel too confident quoting scripture about this car you may consider there are some who have been studying it with your verve for many years before you arrived.
We have cut, unbolted and taken them a part and bolted, welded and put them back together again and then went to the fellows that made them to find out even more. Every time we meet them we have a new list of questions.

There is more to learn especially as parts supplies dwindle, disappear and replacements/repairs are needed and our combined knowledge and sharing as a community will be essential to the cars survival.

I am absolutely sure you have much to offer and will be a asset to our community. I can tell I already like you. Again, welcome aboard.

I would pick the best car you can find regardless of color for the most part.

I think they are all beautiful.

I prefer the Red, even though they made more... possibly because Red tends to = exotic sports car... Ferrari, Porche Red, etc.

All I've read indicates Honda was going after the eliete, Ferrari, etc. when they designed the NSX and Ferrari had to step up and take notice... ie. NSX = Japanese Ferrari or the poor man's Ferrari (whatever).

I have the Red with Black top. It has really grown on me. I use to think I would want the top to match, but now I really like the black top. It really shines.

Which leads to black. A complete black NSX can be beautiful. A perfect mirror reflection... priceless. But black will show every speck of dust, but they are beautiful.

Silver is also very nice. Silver isn't my favorite color, but I believe most cars on the road are Silver and White (I think I read that stat someplace).

Tim says Silver is the fastest... others say Red is the fastest. Tim will say Red is the fastest at getting pulled over... I have been pulled over twice. Once on my maiden journey home and another time for not having a front plate. No tickets.... well I did get a warning about the front plate & ended up purchasing the SOS front plate holder that folds away out of sight.

IMOLA Orange is a hot color... White is very coveted here on Prime.

My DD is blue, so I love blue.

It comes down to preference.... you can enjoy the hunt searching for just the right color and car, or you can pick up something nice... possibly drive it, continue to look, then buy the one of your dreams and sell the other.

It appears they don't seem to be depriciating as much any longer. Maybe some of the newer ones. But you can always write off depreciation as entertainment expense. :smile:

Most would advise purchase the newest, best maintained car you can afford.

- Rod

Mate, its your personal preference and decision on what color car to buy. Why on earth would you ask others for a color choice. My car is police ticket red. I wanted a Ferrari but costs are out of this world. I made my choice and my decision on color. You go for the color you want. Simple as that. This is strictly a color decision response...car condition, maintenance etc.. is a whole different topic. Good luck in your search.

Pick your favorite.

Like others have said, find the most well-maintained NSX.

Hold on thar Babaoui......everyone knows that Sebring Silver is the fastest of all colors.

Actually red is the fastest per the Wiki::biggrin:
NSXWiki said:
Actually, red paint is lighter per gallon than any other color except yellow because the pigment is lighter. Some yellow paints have a metallic finish which would then make it heavier than red. In the case of Spa Yellow, it does have metallic, so RED wins! Or does Grand Prix White win? According to service manuals, GPW from '91-'95 have no clearcoat. Therefore, eliminating that additional weight.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Did_You_Know#Which_Color_Is_Fastest.3F

Also New Formula red came out in 1999. Formula red was used from 1991 to 1999.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Colors

Last edited:
Back