Which is more collectible?

30 years from now, what will be worth more, a 91 or a 02? Assume identical condition, mileage, etc.

30 years from now, what will be worth more, a 91 or a 02? Assume identical condition, mileage, etc.
I believe it will be 2002 spec, because the production number ratio is 8:1. Much more rare and in stock form, faster.

30 years from now? I don't think there will be much difference. Low miles will be what's hard to find, in any year.

I believe it will be 2002 spec, because the production number ratio is 8:1. Much more rare and in stock form, faster.

Damn Vance is the Pimp! I like the Avatar! :biggrin:

I think which ever is less available at that time.

I would say the 91' just because I think there will be less quantity of nice conditioned 91', therefore more rare than 02' at that time. Just my speculation.

But, it seems this question would segway into which to buy, and I would a 02'! or at least a NA2!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I say an 02 or the Zanardi for sure!! Definitely the 98 coupe that car and driver test drove!!!

I'd think the 1991 would be. In 30 years I'd want one of the original coupes versus the newer T's even though there's a larger engine and subtle tweaks to the car.

What did most people fall in love with? The original coupe. You don't know of anyone who fell instantly in love with the later cars because the original coupes set the benchmark.

Just my $0.02

When 91's were bought they were bought as cars that people really wanted, not as an alternative. Evident from production and sales. I was probably still a young wipper snapper then:biggrin:, but I think/assume during this time when it was lanched there was alot of hype surrounding the NSX with Senna being in the picture, Honda and their success in Formula 1, and the fact that it set the standard and took the world of supercars to the next level. (If that means anything as far as collectable credentials are concerned, year wise:rolleyes: )

In 30 years who knows how much NSXs' will be left. By that time im pretty sure low milage cars of any year will be hard to come by if any. 91-94 coupes will always carry an allure that newer ones don't. If you can't see that or respect that, then your a novice NSX head.:rolleyes:

In 30 years who knows how much NSXs' will be left. By that time im pretty sure low milage cars of any year will be hard to come by if any. 91-94 coupes will always carry an allure that newer ones don't. If you can't see that or respect that, then your a novice NSX head.:rolleyes:
Bravo, well said

But, the reality will more likely to be this order to less hardcore owners, it really doesn't make NSX ownership any different.

Most desirable US spec NSX imho are in this order:

97~01 NA2 coupes, in including Zanardi

02+ NA2

97~01 NA2 Targa

91~94 coupe

95~96

I have gone through my fair share of car searches. I know the low mileage, good condition desirable out of production sports are outrageously hard to come by. I will give an example, Supra, a clean 93 hardtop TT will always have same value than a 97~98 TT if not more. Good luck if you can find a clean one, that is way hard than finding a clean NSX. FD RX-7, forget about it. I have gave up already.

To me the difference between the years is nowhere near as dramatic as to say F360 to F430. More like F550 to F575, acutally maybe not even that. American Honda's decision of not importing large# of NA2 coupes helps a lot. Otherwise it will be really one sided.

Since many owners use it as daily driver or treat it just like any other car. The clean well taken care of ones will always be the most desirable. It would be funny if we all be driving something else other than cars in 30 years.

Last edited:
97~01 NA2 coupes, in including Zanardi

This coincides with UK thinking as clean 3.2 pop-ups are as common as hens teeth now, not to mention 30 years!!

There is always a strong demand for a clean OEM 91 non PAS as many argue that this is the best and purest NSX....

I imagine 30 years from now there will be different means of transportation. The automobile will be no more.:confused: Who knows!

I think in 30 years the NSX will be thought of as a collection and there probably won't be much difference in values from one year to the next.

As far as different means of transportation in 30 years, that was the same dream back in the 60's (remember what cars of the future were supposed to be like at the New York World's Fair exhibits?) We're not even close to what the vision was back then.

For those that didn't quite get the buried car thing back in my other post, Tulsa OK buried a 57 Belvedere back in 57 and put 10 gallons of gas in the vault along with the car, thinking that cars might not be running on gas in 2007 when the car was unearthed.

I'm surprised to see that you can now pick up a 2002 for only about $20k more than a low mileage 1991.

So, should we be burying our NSXs in concrete vaults in our backyards? :biggrin:

Done, concrete and kevlar actually :tongue: :biggrin:

If we all still have our NSX's in 30 years(which I plan on), they will be priceless:biggrin: :tongue:

I'm surprised to see that you can now pick up a 2002 for only about $20k more than a low mileage 1991.

I agree. This does not make sense to me. I can't figure out why this is the case.

A car being used as a true collection car will always be worth more in completely stock form.

Even for current cars, there is often a discount associated with a car that is not NA (the physical cost of the supercharger aside) as there is less certainty as to how reliable the engine is likely to be, how hard the car was driven, etc.

I agree. This does not make sense to me. I can't figure out why this is the case.
Something else has mystified me about NSX purchases. In light of how many people like the rigidity and lower weight of fixed-roof models, I don't understand why there weren't more of them sold from 1996 on. I realize they took longer to get on special order, but that doesn't seem like enough of an impediment to explain the low coupe sales numbers.

Desirable and collectable is two different things IMO. For example: MB 300SL Gullwing=collectable, current MB SLR=desirable.

As far as NSXs go. They are all special to me (mines in particular:biggrin:) and I am Thankful to own a "true classic".

I agree w/ nsxsupra in that the most desireable combo will be 97-01 NA2's, for a few reasons:

* Most hardcore lovers fell in love with the pop-up headlights
* More powerful engine
* Available in targas too

In all collectibles market, prices are determined by supply and demand, and if we look at the demand side, you're looking at the collector. Once you define this collector, you'll define the criteria these collectors of looking for, and hence the type of NSX. I surmise that collectors will be more or less purists who fell in love with the NSX from the very beginning (ie pop-up headlights), enjoy a spirited drive (more powerful engine).

The collectibles world is driven by nostalgia. Given that most NSX's sold were pop-up headlights, you can be sure collectors will always fall back on this nostalgic factor.

I'm going to say that special low production examples aside (like the '97-'01 Coupe or rare color combos), the 1991 and 2005 models will be the most collectible, because they represent the first and last year of production. That said, I think in 30 years, any clean stock NSX will be collectible by virtue of condition.

I will give an example, Supra, a clean 93 hardtop TT will always have same value than a 97~98 TT if not more. Good luck if you can find a clean one, that is way hard than finding a clean NSX.

Seriously!! Finding a clean, stock Supra of any year is a major task. Seems like the sellers of such cars are often on the fence too. I looked 1 1/2 years for a clean stock (or only bolt-on mods) '98 Supra where the seller wasn't on the fence, until one just kind of fell into my lap recently.

A clean '97-'98 Supra sells for pretty close to what it did when it was new, and certain color combos or very clean cars can get more than the original sticker price.

Hardtops of any year are particularly hard to find.

We have it pretty easy in the NSX world in looking for a clean stock example.

Back