Which Exhaust Sounds Louder & Racier? HELP!

Hello Everyone. I have a tough decision to make. I currently have an RM Racing Exhaust on my car which was made by B&B Fabrication, which I am very happy with. However, I would like to put a Tatitec JGTC Parallel Exhaust on my car because it looks to be put together better. Can anyone tell me which exhaust puts out more power, and which exhaust sounds better? I am not a person who likes a quieter exhaust at the cost of performance. My RM Racing Exhaust is louder and puts out more power to me than a Comptech, or a Taitec GT Competition Exhaust I had purchased before. That Taitec Exhaust was VERY disapointing from a sound & performance standpoint. Basically, is the Taitec JGTC Parallel Exit Exhaust louder (at idle and/or WOT), better sounding (accelerating AND at WOT), and does it provide more overall power than my current RM Racing Exhaust? PLEASE HELP! Thanx! Shawn

I was in your boat a few months ago & questioned whether the difference in sound b/w what I had (DC Sports) compared to the Taitec JGTC Parallel exhaust was worth the $1000. The answer, fortunately was YES!!! As soon as I got my NSX off the lift & fired up the ignition, the difference was like night & day. It's hard to compare the sound clips available online, they do the Taitec no justice. Granted, the DC Sports is one of the quietest NSX exhausts out there, I have compared in person my JGTC to a buddy's Taitec GT Comp. as well as RM and still the growl of the JGTC just blows these two away! In tunnels, there is no comparison, the JGTC has an awesome deep bass gargle. It does not sound tinny or ricey at all. The interior cabin noise is still quiet enough to hold a conversation & listen to music. Build quality is excellent, neat TIG welds. The tips themselves were semetrical, but the exhaust itself did not hang perfectly semetrical (one tip lower than other), but a bang on one of the exhaust hooks w/ a mallet solved this problem. Two buddies w/ both the RM DTM & Oval have crooked tips, which can't be adjusted w/o cutting & rewelding. Performance wise, I doubt any aftermarket exhaust is significantly more restrictive than the other. Real performance gains are from the headers anyway, exhaust adding little (2-4hp). Hope this helps.

I saw the exhaust comparison on your website Chris and it was VERY helpful. However, The RM Racing Exhaust was not listed in the comparison, so how DOES it rate on a scale from 1-10 in the varying categories that the other exhaust systems were rated in? Shawn

Using the same rating criteria, I would rate it as a 4 & 7 for idle/WOT. The quality is not as good as the Japanese exhausts however.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Originally posted by hdsr5:
I saw the exhaust comparison on your website Chris and it was VERY helpful. However, The RM Racing Exhaust was not listed in the comparison, so how DOES it rate on a scale from 1-10 in the varying categories that the other exhaust systems were rated in? Shawn

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

So basically you feel that my RM Racing Exhaust is not as loud as the Taitec JGTC Parallel Exhaust System at idle OR at WOT? If you are confident of this, I want to buy a Taitec... Can anyone else confirm or deny Chris's opinion? I want to get as many opinions on this topic as possible so I can make as well of an informed decision as possible...Shawn

I have the JGTC Parallel Exit exhaust. I can tell you it is definitely louder than a Comptech. I just had DC Sports headers installed and the combination is very loud.

D'Ecosse describes it as "obnoxious"
smile.gif

I like it!

Now Bykerboy - You described it as obnoxious (proudly I might add) - I merely agreed with you!
biggrin.gif

Maybe you can trade up to a Dream next?

Joking aside, it is indeed loud, probably most volume of any I've heard; I'm the happy beneficiary of Bykerboy's hand-me-down Comptech, so not the best person to judge the voluminous types.
However, the JGTC certainly stands out in the crowd! If loud is your goal, then that is definitely it.

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 30 December 2002).]

JGTC all the way...Louder, and much better sound than the RM. At idle your NSX will sound positively evil..At WOT the race-like sound is absolute bliss. I definitely noticed a power increase in the mid to upper rev range and throttle response is also improved. After owning one for several months now, I noticed another interesting benefit..My gas mileage has improved substantially (almost 15%).

I think you should try to hear each of the exhausts you are considering in person.

Too bad you missed the SoCal Holiday Party last week; it would have been the perfect opportunity to do so.

Originally posted by 93B18:
How does the Taitec JGTC compare to the Tubi, soundwise?

Maybe you can hear them side/side at the club meet on Saturday, if the local parties involved attend? Check for details on the Northwest forum later in the week, ifyou're not familiar with the event. Probably some other flavors to compare also.

Originally posted by 93B18:
How does the Taitec JGTC compare to the Tubi, soundwise?

I was going to ask that same question a few days ago but didn't.
smile.gif

So does anyone here know where I can get a sound clip of the 2 ?

Or how about this: which one would make the NSX sound closer to Ferrari 355/360's exhaust note?

When the throttle is rapped on an NSX with a Tubi, as the RPM winds down, it sounds like a broken Yugo.

Try a DC muffler with no cats. Wonderfully quiet inside, a sreaming banshee on the outside.

I agree with AndyVecsey,
Don't buy a Tubi without hearing it in person or you will be stuck with an exhaust with "Broken Yugo" sound that you don't like. FYI: Some people love Tubi because they haven't heard other high quality exhausts to compare.
If you don't like the Taitec sound you should hear the gruppeM at WOT -> hear it about 2 car length behind because the sound is completely different from there. If money is no object definitely choose gruppeM, ARC Titanium or Fujitsubo.
smile.gif

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP
smile.gif
-> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by insx (edited 31 December 2002).]

I recently installed the Taitec JGTC parallel exhaust on my '94. I'm running Comptech headers and no cats. My good friend has a '94 with the RM exhaust also with headers and no cats. We met for dinner earlier in the week and upon hearing my car he drove home and promptly put his RM up for sale.

I have run several different exhausts on the car including Comptech, Phase, and a custom made exhaust. The Taitec is absolutely gorgeous to look at. The welds and bends are like art to me. Nothing I have heard in person has come close to the sound level of the Taitec JGTC with the exception of Ben Beckert's car which many of you, I'm certain, remember from NSXPO. It's what woke you up at about 6:30am on Wednesday morning at the hotel in Fort Worth. FYI, Ben doesn't run any exhaust...just headers into turbos and then straight pipe out. This exhaust is not for the faint of heart. I love it.

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 04 January 2003).]

I too have the JGTC Parallel, love it, would suggest it 1000%, think Chris from SOS is the man for getting it for me, and think you should buy it too. But that's just my opinion of course.
Aaron

94 NSX Green/Tan - sealed in the bubble like MJ

89 hybrid CRX Si SOHC VTEC - a great winter toy!

I've had a chance to listen to several
exhausts including Tubi, RM, RSR, Comptech
and JGTC. I prefer Tubi but if you want a
loud and racey sound the JGTC is the
exhaust for you.

Originally posted by AaronR:
I too have the JGTC Parallel, love it, would suggest it 1000%, think Chris from SOS is the man for getting it for me, and think you should buy it too. But that's just my opinion of course.
Aaron

94 NSX Green/Tan - sealed in the bubble like MJ

89 hybrid CRX Si SOHC VTEC - a great winter toy!

Aaron hope to run into this year at RA or some other Midwest drives this spring I would like to hear the exhaust I thought my RM with DC Headers and Taitec pipes were loud.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

I agree with Andy V.That the DC wo cats is nice, with cats its like stock.I would have gone back to the DC but after 5yrs it blew a baffold inside and was not made that well plus its heavy.I went to the taitec lightweight and wo cats its very sporty and has agressive off throttle burble.I would say you have to hear em, words are no good.These things are really wind instruments and need to be heard.The only generality I can make is that all the lightweight,ie.. thin walled exhausts have a characteristic metalic waaaaaa sound on accel.

Back