Where to get tinted taillights?

OK, I don't want to be ricey but I love the way my side marker lamps are dark tinted instead of orange and red. It looks great with the silver paint. I am not all fond of the way the taillights look, I think they would look much better on the car with a dark tint. Bat used to make an NSX kit but it is for pre 02 cars without the oval lenses. Does anyone know how I can get a quality tint/smoke job done? I don't want something cheesy that will scratch, dull, change colors, etc.

I personally can't stand the dark tint on tailights. I can barely tell that people are signaling during daylight hours, and at night or in the fog is seems downright dangerous.

IMO, it's unsafe.

my .02

I personally can't stand the dark tint on tailights. I can barely tell that people are signaling during daylight hours, and at night or in the fog is seems downright dangerous.

IMO, it's unsafe.

my .02

I specifically am doing this before my LED conversion, the end result will be taillights AT LEAST as bright as the factory. So this is a non-issue.

IMO, it's unsafe.

my .02

This is a pick of my car with tinted taillights the car behind mine has Clearcorner modification the car behind that has stock taillights. As you can see even in the daylight their is no issues determining if the taillights are on. If you have the taillights done professionally, you will not have any issue with brightness in day or night. People often have issues because they use that night shades crap (spray can) you can buy on Ebay for $5 a can. Mine have a few coats of automotive grade paint and clear on them. They shine like the stock taillights, only are dark like the JDMs. Get them professionally done if you want them to come out good.

nsxt.jpg

Here's mine with smoked side markers and rear tails, i masked off the reverse lights before I smoked them. I used Testors transparent black model tint found at Hobby shops.

0522091515.jpg

Get them professionally done if you want them to come out good.

Yeah but where? at an autobody shop? will they know what to do? so just tell them to spary a light coat of black and finish with a clearcoat? I can get the LED's to be plenty bright so once the tint is done then I will adjust the LED output.

NSX2049.jpg

NSX2050.jpg

Get the LEDs done first!! They have to separate the lenses the finish will get damaged if you paint them first!

You can get different shades. I have Light/Medium Tint. I was going for the JDM look but they are a little darker. The finish has held up for the past two years with no issues you treat them like you would any other paint, wash and wax with the rest of the car.

http://www.jonstintedtails.com/index.htm

Last edited:
Are you going this route because the JDM tails are too pricey? Or you're looking for an even darker look?

NSX2049.jpg

NSX2050.jpg

Get the LEDs done first!! They have to separate the lenses the finish will get damaged if you paint them first!

You can get different shades. I have Light/Medium Tint. I was going for the JDM look but they are a little darker. The finish has held up for the past two years with no issues you treat them like you would any other paint, wash and wax with the rest of the car.

http://www.jonstintedtails.com/index.htm

So what is this? this is a great shade. Its what I am looking for. How do I get this?

Are you going this route because the JDM tails are too pricey? Or you're looking for an even darker look?

The JDM's are barely darker than stock. Plus the cost... I mean my taillights are perfectly good.

If you are going to even consider "smoking" lights do it the right way, all those films and cheap tint sprays turn out blotchy and cheap up close!

Check out tons of smoked pictures of various cars's we've done here:

http://www.euroboutique.us/gallery_smoked_lenses.html

here's a sample....

Only the clear portion was smoked here on m3:
m3smoked_new2.jpg

DSCF1247.jpg

Lights were baked apart, only the lenses were masked and smoked:
IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

BMW 6-series getting smoked lenses:
bellalsmoked1.jpg