Where to find C30A engine and tranny?

Hi everyone. Just joined up! I am looking to purchase an NSX without and engine and tranny. Would anyone happen to know where I could get an engine, tranny, and wiring harness for a reasonable price. This is a '92 manual tranny.

Thanks in advance for any help that you could give.

Welcome to Prime.

You will find this to be a great place with a lot of resources and help.

Here are some tips:

1) Check out the FAQ'a before you post:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm There is a search window at the bottom right you can use. Just type something into the text box and hit return.

2) Use the search for this forum to find years of good discussion information.

To directly answer your question there is a vendor list / recycler that is mentioned in FAQs. You will want to research the vendors that you use to make sure they are on the up and up.

Thanks,

I just sold my 300ZX Twin Turbo on Friday and came across and NSX in Cali. I was going to wait until spring for a car. But since I have mechanical "know how", I could do an engine install without too much trouble.

If anyone knows any specific vendors that are reputable, please let me know.

If you are planning to buy that salvage title NSX that's on eBay with a starting bid of $11K, buyer beware. I am always suspicious of those selling salvage title cars that need rebuilding. If the car were worth as much after rebuilding as the selling price plus the cost to rebuild, the seller would be doing the work before selling - which means, it's almost certainly going to cost you more than it's worth.

And be especially wary if you don't have a lot of experience at car rebuilding and restoration, because you probably don't even know how much you don't know.

The REAL nsxtasy said:
If you are planning to buy that salvage title NSX that's on eBay with a starting bid of $11K, buyer beware. I am always suspicious of those selling salvage title cars that need rebuilding. If the car were worth as much after rebuilding as the selling price plus the cost to rebuild, the seller would be doing the work before selling - which means, it's almost certainly going to cost you more than it's worth.

And be especially wary if you don't have a lot of experience at car rebuilding and restoration, because you probably don't even know how much you don't know.

I am wary about the vehicle in question. I sent him an email with a load of questions including posession of the title.

I don't know if items such as the master brake cylinder and others are there. If I am serious about the car, I would be willing to fly out there to see it in person before purchase. ( I have a free frequent flyer ticket to cash in).

I'm not in a hurry to rebuild a car so I have time to rebuild and research.

Please keep the thoughts comming. Thanks again!

P.S. In pricing out the body kit parts, they are worth half the asking price.

I have yet been able to find a source for engine and tranny? A buddy of mine says that I can get a long block from Honda for $5000.00

Any body have any opinions?

I've build and rebuild a variety of cars so I'm not afraid to take on this project however, finding parts would be my concern (engine mainly).

Not from Honda at $5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Used out of a wreck, yes.

HTH,
LarryB

Ken,

I think the NSX is one of those cars that people usually overpay in the case of project cars. Said buyers tend to think they are getting a deal but in reality, they will end up spending serious amounts of cash getting the car up to specs.

I think a new NSX engine is $25k from Honda but I really do not know for sure. I believe the quote from your friend at $5k was in reference to a used engine.

Yellopad,

Thanks! I miss my 300ZX Twin Turbo and hope to replace it soon. I hope this NSX turn out well and I get it. On examining the pictures closer, it is missing quite a few parts. Shouldn't be too bad. I have already read about 25% of the factory service manual. (good night time reading);)

kenallwine said:
I have yet been able to find a source for engine and tranny? A buddy of mine says that I can get a long block from Honda for $5000.00

The last quote I heard from a dealer for a C30A short block was right around $32,000

We were thinking of buying that car but as a little time passed all the possible nightmare scenarios started coming to us. In any case you can find everything you need to finish this car at www.car-parts.com. When you total everything up you will have the cost of a non-salvaged titled NSX. The other big issue we had was insuring this car for what it would be worth after completed. Thus we are looking for a very clean complete car with a no nightmare future. Mo - Elite.

Back