when to shift

I am new to the NSX. During normal driving, I am not sure if I am supposed to shift after the engine reaches 3K rpm or am I supposed to keep it raved just above 2K like my other Hondas?

I am new to the NSX. During normal driving, I am not sure if I am supposed to shift after the engine reaches 3K rpm or am I supposed to keep it raved just above 2K like my other Hondas?

It really depends on what you are going for. In order to maximize acceleration, you would want to keep the engine revolving at a much higher rate than 3K, since there is not a lot of torque at low RPM. Keep in mind what rate the redline is at.

If you want to maximize MPG, then perhaps maintaining a low target RPM range is desired.

This post really feels like flamebait, but I'll bite nicely. Be careful!

:)

-Josh

How long have you owned your NSX?

Like Josh already said, for daily driving and good gas mileage, shifting at lower RPM is a good idea. But you will have more power the higher in RPM you go, for better acceleration and more fun. It's always a good idea to every once and a while take it above 7K (freeway onramp) -WHEN THE MOTOR IS WARM to 'clear out the exhaust' and keep the car happy and running well.

I would not "rave" in any car period,esp while driving.The rythmic wildly gesticulating movements typical of raving make it quite difficult to drive.:tongue: Back to your ?.......The nsx motor and trannie are designed for high rpm service hence the 8k redline.As long as the car is up to date with all routine service,practice shifting at different points and you will eventualy master the powerband.Remember though no shifting in the middle of turns at your level.:smile:

There is no rule on when to shift. Just shift when you want to. The only thing that I'd avoid is being in 4th or 5th and bogging the engine along at 1-2k rpm.

One last thing, avoid the money shift! :wink:

While driving normal I shift up until the next gear catches not below 2k rpm. Depending on the gear ratios that's between 2,5k and 3k rpm. If I have to shift down I normally do this as the engine reached 1,5k rpm. In my early days I've shifted at lower rpms but the oil pressure drops too low below 2k rpm.

Ambitious driving is a completly different thing. :)

It's a Honda, you can't do something wrong.

Shift after the Vtec for good power but not so much gas consumption but before the hyper drive cause that burns gas like crazy ;)

Seriously you can drive these to the ground, really. It is basically a race car and should at points be driven like one. A honda civic is ment to cruise, this is ment to be pushed, thats why it has bad bad bog in 1.5 to 2k rpm. My rule of thumb has been shift slower at a lower rpm, and shift faster at a high rpm. seems like there is more "cluck" in shifting when your slowly raising the rpm upward then shift as compared to stepping on the gas then shifting. At least in my case.

How long have you owned your NSX?

Like Josh already said, for daily driving and good gas mileage, shifting at lower RPM is a good idea. But you will have more power the higher in RPM you go, for better acceleration and more fun. It's always a good idea to every once and a while take it above 7K (freeway onramp) -WHEN THE MOTOR IS WARM to 'clear out the exhaust' and keep the car happy and running well.

I have owned mine for only 2 weeks. I bought the car for its exotic looks, I don't drive very normally, only once in a while I push the RPM. This is my daily driver now, so I am interested in mpg conservation.

I have owned mine for only 2 weeks. I bought the car for its exotic looks, I don't drive very normally, only once in a while I push the RPM. This is my daily driver now, so I am interested in mpg conservation.

Seriously? :confused:

For the person who asked, the "money shift" is hitting the wrong gear on a downshift. Especially 2nd instead of 4th at high speeds/RPM and exceeding redline. It is also called the miss shift, or the gift that keeps on giving.

While we are on the subject of shifts, I've been interested to know what the max MPH is for each gear (to help me avoid a money shift). I have to say I am not in love with the NSX shifter/pattern, I prefer 2-3 and 4-5 across from each other. I already dropped it into 2nd once while shooting for 4th (slowing down for some bicyclists and scared the crap out of them). I had already slowed down to about 50mph as my intention was to try to put them at ease.

I'm looking for something like redline speeds for each gear. (i.e. 1st 40mph, 2nd 65mph, etc).

Even with a mix of highway/city driving with extremely spirited acceleration most of the time, I still get 20mpg. I think my worst ever was 18mpg in a tank, but that was more city and traffic driving.

If you really let the engine sip at the gas with lower rpm acceleration/shifting, you're only going to save a few more miles per gallon, at the cost of not at all enjoying this car like you should.

I'm looking for something like redline speeds for each gear. (i.e. 1st 40mph, 2nd 65mph, etc).

Directly out of the owners manual (my 91 NA1):
Maximum Speeds

The following are the maximum speeds for the given gears... if you exceed these speeds, the engine speed will enter into the tachometer's red zone:

1st Gear: 45 mph
2nd Gear: 81 mph
3rd Gear: 114 mph
4th Gear: 144 mph
5th Gear: Top Speed

If you enter into the tachometer's red zone, you may feel the engine cut in and out. This is caused by a limiter in the engine's computer controls. The engine will run normally when you reduce the RPM below the red zone.

Sorry, what's the money shift?

Down shifting from 5th to 2nd by mistake.:eek: May cause damage when RPM goes way high, and will take lots of money to fix. Hence, the term "the money shift".:wink:

There are plenty of people who will give you their opinions as to what RPM to shift at during normal driving -- your original question. But something that has not been mentioned is... do NOT skip shift (manual transmission only). I mention this because of your comment about MPG conservation.

In other words, in efforts of trying to save gas, do not jump, or pass over, gears -- i.e. from 2nd directly to 4th, or 3rd to 6th, etc. (Likewise for downshifting.) This causes excessive wear on the transmission synchro rings as they try extra hard to synchronize the cluster gear. (There is a service bulletin that addresses this.) You do not have to engage the engine (i.e. let the clutch out) to do this. Just make sure that you move the shift lever through each and every gear position as you go up or down through the gears.

The NSX is pretty slippery and can hypermile pretty well (not all of those techniques are very good for the car, so use at your own risk). I've played with this on a couple of long trips and gotten high 20's on a couple of highway stints. In that respect RPM is the enemy. Just make sure it doesn't bog, and you should be good.

Make sure you keep a clean air filter in it, keep on top of maintenance, and keep the tire pressures up a bit and you can see some accord-like figures out of the car.

Of course, this approach will last right up until you forget to be frugal one day and hear the sound as you run it out to 8k rpm coming up an on-ramp. :eek:

enjoy!

Last edited:
Down shifting from 5th to 2nd by mistake.:eek: May cause damage when RPM goes way high, and will take lots of money to fix. Hence, the term "the money shift".:wink:

During my last track event at Willow Springs, I think I accidently shifted from 5th to 2nd entering turn 9. I must have been doing about 90 or so. I had traffic in front and behind me, something I try to avoid at this infamously nasty turn. If I did make the missed shift, I guess I missed the "money shift". Sounds like others have had this experience as well.

I have driven a manual all my life (37 years). This is the only car that took me some time to figure out how to downshift from 5th to 4th without an occasional gear crunch. That includes going from 5th to reverse. IMO, the shift feel of an NSX (my 1991 anyway) is a bit notchy. One day, I'd like to take a test spin in one or more other NSXs to see if shifting feels any different. I have always purchased used cars and do lament about how skilled the prior owners were at shifting.

5K to save gas (on a sportscars trying to "save" gas is like going to a steak house and eat tomatoes by themselves, makes no sense in my head) ... you can always redline to bring joy :)

I am starting to believe that most NSX owners drive very conservative, maybe that's why most people think NSX are slow?? LOL

Oscar

There are plenty of people who will give you their opinions as to what RPM to shift at during normal driving -- your original question. But something that has not been mentioned is... do NOT skip shift (manual transmission only). I mention this because of your comment about MPG conservation.

In other words, in efforts of trying to save gas, do not jump, or pass over, gears -- i.e. from 2nd directly to 4th, or 3rd to 6th, etc. (Likewise for downshifting.) This causes excessive wear on the transmission synchro rings as they try extra hard to synchronize the cluster gear. (There is a service bulletin that addresses this.) You do not have to engage the engine (i.e. let the clutch out) to do this. Just make sure that you move the shift lever through each and every gear position as you go up or down through the gears.

This is extra helpful, I have been wondering about this when I shift while slowing down. I had a tendency to skip gear when I slow down while pressing the brake. Meaning if I am slowing down from 60mph at 5th gear, while pressing the brake, I slow down to 30mph and I put the gear from 5th to 3rd, skipping the 4th gear. This is what you are talking about, right? I am glad I only did it a couple of times and will avoid from now on.

Or you can learn to double-clutch and rev match and then you can shift to whatever the hell gear you want and the synchros will barely notice.

Honestly, if you are deliberate about it, and not trying to shift as fast as possible, there will not be that much extra wear anyway. My '92 has 218,000 miles on it, and it's synchros are still perfectly serviceable...and I don't have much faith in the previous owner's driving skill. While it always behooves one to take care of nice things they own, the gearboxes on these cars are, by all accounts, really not that fragile.

Back