when is it not wise to buy an exotic?

I'm reading more and more stories here and else where about NSX's and other nice cars being vanalized and damaged.

I'm really surprised by this. I always assumed that if you could afford an NSX, or Porsche or some other nice car, you would certainly be able to afford a garage, or at the very least, a beater car for daily driving.

I'm very surprised that there are so many people who have such nice vehicles and don't have a garage or a beater daily driver. IMHO if you can't afford a beater daily driver or a garage, you are probably better off not buying an exotic until you can afford that.

On another topic, a friend of mine had her new Honda Accord vandalized by a 6 year old kid. The kid used a screw driver to rip the emblem off her car, and caused a nasty 1/2 inch scratch as well. She's going to press charges against the kid. It's horrible what little kids do these days. The parents hopefully will pay for the damage.
mad.gif

I owned a 944 back in the mid 90's that was vandalized. It was partly my fault as I left it parked near a bar on the street near Cornell University's college town section. When I came out of the bar someone had beaten ever panel with some type of hammer. I was so pissed.

I don't see anything wrong with using the NSX as a daily driver and not having a beater car.

However, I will have to agree with you that having a garage should almost be seen as a prerequisite for NSX ownership.

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:
I'm really surprised by this. I always assumed that if you could afford an NSX, or Porsche or some other nice car, you would certainly be able to afford a garage, or at the very least, a beater car for daily driving.

You know what they say about assume - you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". An average condition 91 NSX with average miles is around $30k. The number of cars that are over $30k are surprisingly many. Nobody wonders what people are doing when they drive a new TL, BMW 325i, or Maxima. That is part of the problem - it is a choice for many of us who stretch to buy or keep a wonderful sports car. It is a tribute to Honda that people can rationalize this decision. It is just terrible that people assume all sorts of things about the value of the car, the type of person, etc when they do these thing.

On another topic, a friend of mine had her new Honda Accord vandalized by a 6 year old kid. The kid used a screw driver to rip the emblem off her car, and caused a nasty 1/2 inch scratch as well. She's going to press charges against the kid. It's horrible what little kids do these days. The parents hopefully will pay for the damage.
mad.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

We had a similar incident with our car. When all was said and done the parents home insurance policy paid for our damage.
YMMV
Len

I'm reading more and more stories here and else where about NSX's and other nice cars being vanalized and damaged.

I'm very surprised that there are so many people who have such nice vehicles and don't have a garage or a beater daily driver. IMHO if you can't afford a beater daily driver or a garage, you are probably better off not buying an exotic until you can afford that.

mad.gif

So what are you implying? We are responsible for the vandalism because we leave our car outside? Man, the fact is, everyone has different situations and people make choices. It's our money and we can do whatever we think is fit. We certainly don't need some stranger telling us not to own an exotic. Give me a break!!!

I'll ignore your hostile tone. Since there are so many enthusiasts on this website who love their NSX's, it would seem to make sense that they would care for the NSX slight more than normal $30k cars. I guess some people don't care if birds crap on their NSX's and the sun bakes their paint, and that their NSX's are sitting outside vulnerable to vandalism.

That's fine, I have no problem with it. I just won't be looking to buy a non-garaged NSX when I'm in the market for one.

Originally posted by ak:
So what are you implying? We are responsible for the vandalism because we leave our car outside? Man, the fact is, everyone has different situations and people make choices. It's our money and we can do whatever we think is fit. We certainly don't need some stranger telling us not to own an exotic. Give me a break!!!

Give me a break. You are comparing an NSX to a TL, BMW 325, or a Maxima? That's like comparing a Picasso to the local grocery store $5 paintings.

I ain't assuming anything about you, so don't worry. I just know that I won't be buying your NSX.

Originally posted by matteni:
You know what they say about assume - you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". An average condition 91 NSX with average miles is around $30k. The number of cars that are over $30k are surprisingly many. Nobody wonders what people are doing when they drive a new TL, BMW 325i, or Maxima. That is part of the problem - it is a choice for many of us who stretch to buy or keep a wonderful sports car. It is a tribute to Honda that people can rationalize this decision. It is just terrible that people assume all sorts of things about the value of the car, the type of person, etc when they do these thing.

I once made the mistake of talking myself into believing that I could keep my first NSX in a nice, covered, lighted, off-street, assigned, apartment parking space. When I came out to find it torched and burned to the ground, with piles of scorched polyxxxx materials and puddles of aluminum sitting where my car had been, I fully realized what a fool and an idiot I had been.

The situation is simple. The NSX is considered by ALMOST EVERYONE to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made; including those who don't even know or care what it is or what it costs. That alone, in and of itself, makes the NSX most attractive to the kind of scum we're talking about here.

- RR

Ill-will people are scum of the earth. That's a given. In a perfect world, one can own an NSX without having to worry about vandals--garaged or not. Unfortunately, we live in reality. I can appreciate where you are coming from NSX Dreamer, but we can't alter our lives to cater to these kinds of people. A man should be able to have what he wants even though the situation isn't ideal. He just has to worry about protecting his possessions more than the next guy, that's all. But he still has the right to own an NSX even though it is his only car.

And in light of NetViper's unfortunate incident, which I believe where the sentiment of this thread is coming from, he didn't deserve what happened to his car. But I support him for having such a fine vehicle. Not because he "should" have a garage to keep it safe in, but because he has the right to own one.

Thanks for interpreting my statements in the right way, Joel.

I'm not suggesting that it's not right for someone to own an NSX in any particular situation.

However, for an enthusiast of the NSX, I think it makes a lot of sense to have a garage for it.

If someone owned an NSX and didn't get excited by it, of course by all means that person is not going to be so broken up when something terrible happens to his NSX.

However, as an enthusiast, the victim would most likely be 10 or 100 times more distraught and upset. For thoese type of owners, it only makes sense to have a garage of some type for safe keeping of the vehicle.

That's all I'm suggesting, no more and no less.

Originally posted by Joel:
Ill-will people are scum of the earth. That's a given. In a perfect world, one can own an NSX without having to worry about vandals--garaged or not. Unfortunately, we live in reality. I can appreciate where you are coming from NSX Dreamer, but we can't alter our lives to cater to these kinds of people. A man should be able to have what he wants even though the situation isn't ideal. He just has to worry about protecting his possessions more than the next guy, that's all. But he still has the right to own an NSX even though it is his only car.

And in light of NetViper's unfortunate incident, which I believe where the sentiment of this thread is coming from, he didn't deserve what happened to his car. But I support him for having such a fine vehicle. Not because he "should" have a garage to keep it safe in, but because he has the right to own one.

Give me a break. You are comparing an NSX to a TL, BMW 325, or a Maxima? That's like comparing a Picasso to the local grocery store $5 paintings.

HUH? Your kidding right? Here I will type in CAPS so you can see it OK.

MY POINT IS THAT THESE CARS ARE ALL THE SAME PRICE.

Why don't you post on the 325i BMW Board and ask - jee - why don't you all have a garage, a paid security guard, and a beater for your car that is 30 something thousand?

The reason I even posted is this - it is exactly these types of stereotypes why our cars get keyed. People start assuming we have the money to have a garage, a security system, probably we are an asshole boss at work like their boss, or some rich guy who never had to really work, probably is dating my high school sweethart - where are my keys - I am going to teach this rich, a-hole boss, womanizing POS a lesson...

Good luck on getting your NSX, keeping up with all maintenance, having a garage, having a 24 survalence system, having a body gaurd to watch it if you ever leave the house, and getting another car to drive whenever you are to scared to take your car anywhere.

BTW - Picasso sucks.

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 28 February 2003).]

Hmm, ok, I'll also post on the Hyundai board that Hyundai sucks. How's that?

HELLO, I'm posting about NSX on the NSX board, and you rant on about BMW, Maxima, blah blah blah.

You obviously are a troll. I'll ignore your stupid comments.

Why don't you post on the 325i BMW Board and ask - jee - why don't you all have a garage, a paid security guard, and a beater for your car that is 30 something thousand?

The reason I even posted is this - it is exactly these types of stereotypes why our cars get keyed. People start assuming we have the money to have a garage, a security system, probably we are an asshole boss at work like their boss, or some rich guy who never had to really work, probably is dating my high school sweethart - where are my keys - I am going to teach this rich, a-hole boss, womanizing POS a lesson...

Good luck on getting your NSX, keeping up with all maintenance, having a garage, having a 24 survalence system, having a body gaurd to watch it if you ever leave the house, and getting another car to drive whenever you are to scared to take your car anywhere.

BTW - Picasso sucks.

Thanks MYNSX
wink.gif

It's amazing how some people even take the most inane suggestion offensively. We really do have some pieces of work here.

Originally posted by MYNSX:
NSX DREAMER.
I read your post last night.
I knew you would open up a "can of worms".
No offense. And GOOD LUCK.

PS... Vandalizers suck. (Ya' just don't do it!)

Re:matteni

Mmmm Yeahh, the Bobs and I were wondering if you saw the memo on the new TPS cover sheet format.
cool.gif

Originally posted by john576:
Mmmm Yeahh, the Bobs and I were wondering if you saw the memo on the new TPS cover sheet format.
cool.gif

Lol!

"Just for that I am going to have to ask you to move your desk again - and is that my stapler?"

One of the answer to the topic:
When you cannot pay for speeding tickets
smile.gif

I got a ticket last month for driving 50 plus (he said based on his speedometer????) in 35 MPH on major street. Everyone was doing the same speed but because the officer see its an NSX (so the owner must have had lots of money to pay the fine right ????) he just decided to pull me over.
I live in this street for 3 years driving many other cars doing the same speed and he decided to pull me over because I drove my NSX.
One of the reason why my car mileage is so low
smile.gif

I get more FUN driving my M3 and other cars (yes even a Toyota Corolla is fun to drive cause I can stomp the throttle all the way and no one even bother to notice) because they do not attract as much attention as NSX.
OK, based on everyone's experience at this forum, I ordered the Valentine One, I hope I can drive over 1k miles this year with no more ticket
smile.gif

------------------
--
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP -> VROOM VROOM
'93 300SE MBZ

I occasionally go over the limit with my older dark grey '87 BMW 325 and it seems to blend it perfectly fine with the rest of a traffic. Have not had a speeding ticket so far. (Knock on wood.)
biggrin.gif

I'd imagine too that it'd be a lot different when I get my silver or bright red NSX as in your case.

Originally posted by insx:
One of the answer to the topic:
When you cannot pay for speeding tickets
smile.gif

I got a ticket last month for driving 50 plus (he said based on his speedometer????) in 35 MPH on major street. Everyone was doing the same speed but because the officer see its an NSX (so the owner must have had lots of money to pay the fine right ????) he just decided to pull me over.
I live in this street for 3 years driving many other cars doing the same speed and he decided to pull me over because I drove my NSX.
One of the reason why my car mileage is so low
smile.gif

I get more FUN driving my M3 and other cars (yes even a Toyota Corolla is fun to drive cause I can stomp the throttle all the way and no one even bother to notice) because they do not attract as much attention as NSX.
OK, based on everyone's experience at this forum, I ordered the Valentine One, I hope I can drive over 1k miles this year with no more ticket
smile.gif

I think it is more of a jealousy issue than the NSX attracting attention. The officer has the power to make it harder for you to afford insuring the car and knows this fact. If he writes a ticket to you he can screw up your "preservable" good life. This more than likely makes him feel better on the inside.

I received three tickets in a row this last summer and not one of them was in the NSX, knock on wood. Two were in different pickup trucks and the other in a mini van. I am so glad my girlfriends mother works for the DA.

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 28 February 2003).]

posted by nsx_dreamer

i drive a NSX,its my ONLY car.i was going to buy a left hand drive audi TT,but then spotted a NSX for only £3000 more,so there was really no competition.my point is this,i have no garage, if i were to build a garage it would probably cost me in the region of £5000-£7000.then i would not have had the money to be able to buy my dream car.as it turns out my pay has dropped significantly,so if i had done it the way you suggest that it should be done,then i would probably never have been the owner of a beautiful rare exotic!.

[This message has been edited by jaytip nsx (edited 01 March 2003).]

jaytip nsx: I understand the dilemma. I nearly bled to death paying for a garage to keep mine in when I lived in a high-risk area. Life's about choices, and I'm certainly not going to say that you made a bad one. Car-vandalizing scum are a breed that seems to be on the increase in many parts of the U.S. The bay area of CA where I used to live was a prime example of such. I would hope, and imagine, that the problem isn't quite as bad where you live. Good luck, and enjoy!

Richard

BTW - Picasso sucks.

Hi,
I couldn't help but respond to this debate :^)
I have to agree with NSX_Dreamer in that the NSX is in a class of its own, and even the least expensive '91 NSX's should not be compared to brand-new $30K cars.

Sure, the people who bought the $30K '03 cars could also have purchased a '91 NSX, but chances are they couldn't afford to keep it (maintenance costs are substantially more than the average '03 $30K car).

In addition, the NSX is extremely rare and precious (low production numbers), whereas obtaining another Bimmer or TL would be rather easy.

The NSX is much more noticable than one of the above mentioned cars. After all, most people see several of those cars every day. They could care less about a new 325i sitting in the parking lot. Like the other common cars in the lot, it probably gets as little as one glance, in general.

Finally, the relative repair costs for say, vandalism, is significantly higher for the NSX than for the '03 $30K car.

Those are some of the reasons why I agree with NSX_Dreamer's position.

Thanks. -Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

Back