When did they start painting the roof?

I've been looking at lots of photos and scouring the wiki to determine, but I can't seem to nail it down.

What was the last year a non-black NSX was made with a black roof? I understand it was the only way 91-92, and that a few green cars were made with a black roof in 94 before switching over... but what is the newest NSX on the road with a black roof and non-black body?

Also, has anyone bought an NSX in "two-tone" and then had the roof painted to match? Any experience with how well this typically works?

You can look through the Wiki pages to find this... http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year

1994 has matching roofs for some of the Brooklands Green Pearl colored cars, the rest should be black unless they were painted after the fact.

I've been on the hunt for a couple months and there are some cars with the roof painted to match in the older cars.

The white '01 coupe currently owned by WhiteNSXs has black top. Remember the later pre-'02 cars had the option of black or body color.

Remember the later pre-'02 cars had the option of black or body color.

Ah, I didn't realize it was an option all the way up to 01. When did it start being an option rather than the only way? And what was the "default"/what did most people choose given the option?

Read the wiki link provided above. Changes for '97.

Ah, I didn't realize it was an option all the way up to 01. When did it start being an option rather than the only way? And what was the "default"/what did most people choose given the option?

All coupes have a black top. There were just so few coupes once the NSX-T came out. If you see any '91-'94 NSX's with a body color matched top, its because the owner (or previous owner...or the previous previous owner..etc..) had it painted to match the rest of the body. Except for some of the Brookland Green '94's.

Read the wiki link provided above. Changes for '97.

Yeah, saw it... maybe I can edit it to be clearer. It sounds to me like they experimented with colored roof in 94 on the green car, then introduced it to the other colors in 95 along with the targa top. Reintroduced the black roof option for coupes in 97.

If you see any '91-'94 NSX's with a body color matched top, its because the owner (or previous owner...or the previous previous owner..etc..) had it painted to match the rest of the body.

Does that generally go well/look good? It's my preferred look, but price range is probably going to force me to go pre-Targa.

Does that generally go well/look good? It's my preferred look, but price range is probably going to force me to go pre-Targa.

Looking good is up to the user (and the quality of the paint shop). There are hundreds of photos on this website of NA1 NSX's with black/color and color/color combination. Visit the Gallery or the Photos/Videos Forum.

Back