Wheel Bearings….More work than I expected.

I searched prime prior to replacing my wheel bearings and all I really found was that you needed a press. So, I ran to Harbor Freight and picked one up. This way I can use it once and then move it around my garage until I sell it for $10 at a yard sale in 20 years.
Anyhow, it worked well with removing the hub from the bearings. HOWEVER, removing the inner race from the hub was a little more than I bargained for. To quote my uncle, “I got a little something I wasn’t looking for.” After deciding that I had just hosed myself I looked online to see if I could find anything. Hondatech had a DIY with different options. It seems the most common method is cutting into the race and then using a chisel to break it. Someone else alluded to notching the race and using a gear puller to take it off. This is the option I chose to pursue.
I used a compound miter saw with a metal cutting disk to notch the race. It made it very easy to hold still and make a decent notch. I then attached the gear puller, put it in the vice, and viola. I worked very well. The only thing that would have made it easier would’ve been a torch. One of the rears was so tight when I pressed it out I thought I actually broke the press.

Left side - Hub without race. Right side - Hub with race.
P1020413.jpg

P1020415.jpg

P1020416.jpg

P1020414.jpg

Today's task is pressing on the new bearings. I have had the hubs in my freezer all night. I'm then going to heat the bearings a bit with my heat gun and press them it.

I can see where the race is a little blueish in color, but do they necessarily "have" to be replaced if they aren't scored or pitted?

I can see where the race is a little blueish in color, but do they necessarily "have" to be replaced if they aren't scored or pitted?

For my car they "have" to be replaced. It's what the service manual calls for and there is way too much labor getting everything out , not to take the extra hour to do it right.

This morning I was easily able to press on the new bearings and re-assemble them. I'm now getting all of the brakes installed which is what precipitated this "might as well" project to begin with.

Also, I had no issues with my old bearings. My car is a '91 with 56,000 miles and there was no play at all. However, they felt "grabby" when I would turn them. They now feel very smooth when turning. It probably makes no difference, but at least I know they are new.

P1020418.jpg

P1020419.jpg

Well done! I am still kicking myself for not buying those wheels when they were for sale a few years ago here on Prime.

Well done! I am still kicking myself for not buying those wheels when they were for sale a few years ago here on Prime.

Thanks Mitch. I'm glad you didn't buy these wheels. I haven't seen a set for sale since I bought them. Also, feel free to give me a shout if you need or want any help with your car.

Chris, bravo! Yea those bearings can be a little tricky :)

The new brakes look amazing. Congrats

Thanks for the compliment Brian. I almost called you for some advise on removing the races.

In case I missed it, what kind of rotors? Very unique.

davidf the brakes are RacingBrake oversized with drilled slots. They come with bigger brackets so you can run your stock calipers with larger rotors. I think it was about my only option with these wheels.

Thanks for the compliment Brian. I almost called you for some advise on removing the races.

Your welcome to call anytime if you ever have a question. I am sure we can save you some time on things like that.

Back