• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel Balancing

I just got brand new wheels and tires put on the car. All of them are dynamic balanced. When driving, above 60 (and it gets worse the farter I go) there is a vibration from the right rear.

Before I bought the car, that rim (right rear) was damaged. In addition to new wheels, I have also replaced the hub assembly in the right rear and the connecting rod.

What else could be damaged back there that would be giving me this vibration that worsens at higher speeds?

The feeling of the vibration is something of a vibrate for 2 seconds, stop for 0.5 seconds, vibrate for 2, stop for 0.5....and so on. Very irritating since all other wheels are smooth as can be.

Thank you for the help.

SJH Tampa said:
I just got brand new wheels and tires put on the car. All of them are dynamic balanced. When driving, above 60 (and it gets worse the farter I go) there is a vibration from the right rear.

Before I bought the car, that rim (right rear) was damaged. In addition to new wheels, I have also replaced the hub assembly in the right rear and the connecting rod.

What else could be damaged back there that would be giving me this vibration that worsens at higher speeds?

The feeling of the vibration is something of a vibrate for 2 seconds, stop for 0.5 seconds, vibrate for 2, stop for 0.5....and so on. Very irritating since all other wheels are smooth as can be.

Thank you for the help.

Did you get an alignment after you put on the new wheels and tires?

-CiaoBoy

I did not have the alignment re-done. it was done roughly 1 year ago at the dealer. The car still tracks straight.

FYI - before replacing the wheels, that same wheel vibrated at high speeds. I had thought this was because it was at one time cracked and bent, and was told that after it was fixed, it was "near" round, but not perfect. I had assumed than when I replaced the wheel with a brand new one, the problem would go away.

This really sounds like improper balance. To confirm it is the suspect tire/wheel, temporarily swap the wheel with its known good opposite. If the problem moves to the other side of the car, its the tire/wheel. If not, check alignment and confirm the shocks are in good shape.

SJH Tampa said:
I did not have the alignment re-done. it was done roughly 1 year ago at the dealer. The car still tracks straight.

FYI - before replacing the wheels, that same wheel vibrated at high speeds. I had thought this was because it was at one time cracked and bent, and was told that after it was fixed, it was "near" round, but not perfect. I had assumed than when I replaced the wheel with a brand new one, the problem would go away.

I had a similar vibration problem. The steering wheel would shudder for 1 second, and then stop shuddering, and then 2 seconds later, it would repeat.

I replaced my worn rear tires with new ones (kept the same OEM wheels) and got an alignment done. The problem went away.

It's possible that you got an alignment when your old wheels/tires were out of whack, so that was bad. I'd suggest a second alignment with your new parts.

Make sure to have the correct tire pressure BEFORE you take it to a shop for alignment.

-CiaoBoy

Back