What's Your First Job?

16 year old ~$2 hr. small Video store with an Adult section. Best job I ever had. Learned how to talk to EVERY kind of person from prostitute to physician.

Worked a few years than college.
Got laid more at that job too with one line "what's a girl as pretty as you doing getting a video on a Fri-Saturday night" :biggrin:

+1 So are they still hiring? I'd rather have the benefits package instead.

First real job was delivering pizza for domino's. But the first job I had was working on a farm. Then I started a second job picking up dog poop at an apartment complex that is what led to what I do today...the largest dog poop company on the east coast.:biggrin:

My first real job (not working for family or friends businesses) was at Gemco back in 1981. Anyone old enough here to remember Gemco? :tongue:

Let me tell you about my rise to the top there.

Hired temporarily to do the Christmas tree lot. Quickly mastered that and was promoted to cart boy. I think the string of 21 carts was my record. The front end would have so much understeer through the corners that they would almost get away from you. Once again, mastered the art of cart collection and was promoted to warehouse. Fun work, but they failed to mention that I had to sweep the whole store and empty trash. Let me tell you what a melted 32 oz. ICEE feels like as it runs down your arm from the busted trash bag. Graduated out of the warehouse and was now assistant to the assistant manager of the houseware dept. I will always have fond memories of facing all the hot air popcorn makers on a daily basis. From there I got the ultimate promotion to the grocery dept. where I was making the big bucks.

The moral to this story. If you dream big you will move up from $3.35 an hour to well over four dollars in less than three months.

My first real job (not working for family or friends businesses) was at Gemco back in 1981. Anyone old enough here to remember Gemco? :tongue:

Yup, I used to go to the one in Kearny Mesa...I still go to Islands Burgers near there.:biggrin:

The moral to this story. If you dream big you will move up from $3.35 an hour to well over four dollars in less than three months.

Thats at least 19%..Nice!!!

When I was 15 1/2 I got a job at a local mom and pop grocery store as a bagger. I think I was making 3.75 or something like that. I remember a family comming in and loading up 2 carts full of groceries. I didnt think anything of it until they bolted both carts out the "IN" door. I ran out and said "hey" they said to go back inside unless I wanted to get killed. So I told the manager quickly and later the next day applied at Dominos. Thankfully I got the pizza job.

When I was 15 1/2 I got a job at a local mom and pop grocery store as a bagger. I think I was making 3.75 or something like that. I remember a family comming in and loading up 2 carts full of groceries. I didnt think anything of it until they bolted both carts out the "IN" door. I ran out and said "hey" they said to go back inside unless I wanted to get killed. So I told the manager quickly and later the next day applied at Dominos. Thankfully I got the pizza job.
I'm glad you went back inside!

1977, canvassing houses for newspaper subscriptions. Worked a full weekend, sun up to sun down, got more doors slammed in my face than I could count, and as I was paid on commission, my check for the weekend totaled $13.25, or about 50c/hour.

I didn't go back for a second weekend.
Interesting I'm in a battle with the paper over a door to door subscription in which their paperwork got mixed up and they say i never paid. I never wanted the paper anyways just got it to help the kid win some contest.

First job was the typical paper route when I was 10 or 12. It was the second job that was a corker. I was around 14 and worked at a skeet shoot club. I sat in a little underground bunker and put clay pegions on a massive mechanical machine that had an arm that moved back and forth. The bunker faced a lake and I froze my butt off. If they allowed some 14 year old kid do that now, the owners would go directly to jail. I still remember that massive machine moving back and forth and me putting clay pegions on the top of it.:eek:

I was Yogi Bear for the summer I turned 16, working at Yogi Bear Jellystone Park. Each morning and lunchtime I'd transform into Yogi Bear, donning a Disney World style outfit, and wander the park, and have a huge herd of kids following me around.

The rest of the day I did maintenance and was the pool attendant.

The first full-time job was at a New York investment bank making $60k / year, and that was in the early 90's. I thought I was Bill Gates.

My first job was a paper route with 75 houses. My parents didn't drive me around and I had to fold the papers every morning at 5:00am. I made good money and saved for my first ten speed bicycle. I ultimately quit that job when a few high school kids thought it was fun to point a pistol out the window and take a shot at me. Since I was a car freak at that age, I knew what car they were in and was able to remember the license plate. I went to the next house and called the police. The kids were caught and got in a fvck load of trouble, but I wasn't able to identify who shot the gun so they got a light sentence.

Great thread!

First job was a paper route I guess.

First 'real' job with paycheck and all was working minimum wage, operating a game at Canada's Wonderland (SixFlags-like themepark) in 1985 for a whopping $3.15/hr.

I think an experience flipping burgers or doing manual labour is good for the soul. I would make my kids do the same, even though we're comfortable now.

Alright, if we're discounting the paper route thing, my first job was at age 16 bussing tables for $6/hour. It was 'Blackies House of Beef', for you NoVa/ D.C. folks who might be familiar. I worked there until I graduated HS, never once getting a raise or even hearing it mentioned. I saved every penny to put toward a Bitchin' '84 Camaro:smile:

230/week as a accounting clerk for Banco Do Brasil in 1986. the pay was crap but the brazillian's always had good coffee. My co workers and I were always broke, We would have " liquid lunches" but could not afford food, we figured out if we tipped the waitress (nice old ladies) better we got free french fries.

After lunch , we would take turns puking in the bathroom.

life was simple then :biggrin:

LOL This thread turned out to be pretty interesting. From paper routes to Yogi bear... :tongue: :biggrin:

Back