Whats the difference between TypeR and Zanardi suspension?

Thanks. I definitely take issue with Vance's recommendation. I would absolutely discourage installation of either the NA1 or NA2 Type-R spring on a Zanardi/Type-S/S-Zero shock.

The NA1 Type-R's spring rates are 15%/8% greater than Zanardi front/rear and the NA2 Type-R spring rates are 47%/57% greater than Zanardi. Obviously a shock cannot effectively handle spring rates 50%+ greater than it was designed for.

One might be able to get away with the NA1 springs but the Zanardi shocks will be significantly compromised and lifespan will certainly be shortened.
Yep, that's when people want to play and don't want to pay. Like any thing else, you get what you paid, and that combination may create a wanna be Type R feel, it will most likely not last as long. however, if the NSX doesn't seen enough road time, it may not make that much difference. Honda/Showa shocks are pertty durable.

Thanks. I definitely take issue with Vance's recommendation. I would absolutely discourage installation of either the NA1 or NA2 Type-R spring on a Zanardi/Type-S/S-Zero shock.

The NA1 Type-R's spring rates are 15%/8% greater than Zanardi front/rear and the NA2 Type-R spring rates are 47%/57% greater than Zanardi. Obviously a shock cannot effectively handle spring rates 50%+ greater than it was designed for.

One might be able to get away with the NA1 springs but the Zanardi shocks will be significantly compromised and lifespan will certainly be shortened.

Hey Graham,
This was real good advice thanks.
I talked to a few track junkies and discussed this same matter and they said you were 100% correct and explained to me in simplified way that I can understand.
So my question now is there only one version of Zanardi springs and shocks? Or is it like the Type R where there is NA1/NA2 S-Zero and NA2.

Hey Graham,
This was real good advice thanks.
I talked to a few track junkies and discussed this same matter and they said you were 100% correct and explained to me in simplified way that I can understand.
So my question now is there only one version of Zanardi springs and shocks? Or is it like the Type R where there is NA1/NA2 S-Zero and NA2.

There is only one version of the Zanardi shock/spring. That should also be identical to the Type-S. Vance, among others, can confirm this but I believe the Type-S-Zero is very close to the NA1 Type-R setup.

There is only one version of the Zanardi shock/spring. That should also be identical to the Type-S. Vance, among others, can confirm this but I believe the Type-S-Zero is very close to the NA1 Type-R setup.

How do I know its Type S-Zero? Do Acura dealers stock them?
If not I will go with the Zanardi's with Dali. I really like the NSX-R Chassis bars and Zanardi Front and Rear sway bars. It lot more predictable handling. With the Zanardi/Type-S-Zero shocks and springs and some new light rims/tires (maybe)(I found a local with type R wheels I might get it powdercoated black) I think I will be happy after that.

How do I know its Type S-Zero? Do Acura dealers stock them?
If not I will go with the Zanardi's with Dali. I really like the NSX-R Chassis bars and Zanardi Front and Rear sway bars. It lot more predictable handling. With the Zanardi/Type-S-Zero shocks and springs and some new light rims/tires (maybe)(I found a local with type R wheels I might get it powdercoated black) I think I will be happy after that.

You can only get the Type-S-Zero from Japan. (You can only get the Type-S from Japan as well but the Zanardi is identical) MJ at Dali might be able to get one for you and he'll also know how comparable the S/Z is to the NA1 Type-R.

As far as sways/bars the Type-R chassis bars are great and highly recommended. The Zanardi/Type-S sway bar is simply a beefier front bar and the Type-R bar a beefier rear bar, i.e. the Zanardi has more oversteer and the Type-R has more understeer.

In my experience understeer is more predictable for the average driver and would recommend the Type-R sway rear bar only unless the car is heavily tracked and the driver knows exactly what they're doing to extract maximum performance from them.

You can only get the Type-S-Zero from Japan. (You can only get the Type-S from Japan as well but the Zanardi is identical) MJ at Dali might be able to get one for you and he'll also know how comparable the S/Z is to the NA1 Type-R.

As far as sways/bars the Type-R chassis bars are great and highly recommended. The Zanardi/Type-S sway bar is simply a beefier front bar and the Type-R bar a beefier rear bar, i.e. the Zanardi has more oversteer and the Type-R has more understeer.

In my experience understeer is more predictable for the average driver and would recommend the Type-R sway rear bar only unless the car is heavily tracked and the driver knows exactly what they're doing to extract maximum performance from them.[/QUOTE]

Hey So what you are saying is unless you track the car often you wouldn't recommend TypeR Sway bar ??

No I think he is recommending the Type R since the understeer inherent in it will be easier to control by the average driver than oversteer inherent in the Type S/Zanardi.

No I think he is recommending the Type R since the understeer inherent in it will be easier to control by the average driver than oversteer inherent in the Type S/Zanardi.

Yes.

Both are good for the track but you're not going to be taking advantage of the Zanardi sway (i.e. oversteer) on the street at all. The last thing you want on the street (or track) is the back end to break loose whereas experiencing understeer pushing is much more controllable. Most NSX owners who heavily track opt for the Type-R rear sway (understeer) or adjust their AM sways for understeer as it's much more controllable and safe for anyone other than a very experienced driver. Very experienced drivers can take advantage of a loose back end but that's not desirable for 99% of drivers.

That being said the Zanardi suspension is set up for an oversteering sway bar and that is something to consider as it changes the way the suspension functions and was designed. The NA1 Type-R suspension might be the way for you to go. That's something Mark would know about (or anyone else here with more direct experience with Zanardi/Type-S/S-Zero vs. NA1 Type-R vs. NA2 Type-R.)

Back