Whats the difference between TypeR and Zanardi suspension?

baynsac

Whats the difference between TypeR and Zanardi suspension parts?
If I had a stock suspension and want to go one of these two routes whats parts are required to complete the suspension mods for a Type R and Zanardi?
Is one better for the street/track driving than other?
I was thinking for getting the front and rear Zanardi sway bars and nsx type r chassis bars. Or should I just stick with all type R parts sway and chassis ?
What other suspension parts differ the stock nsx from TypeR/Zanardi NSX??

Whats the difference between TypeR and Zanardi suspension parts?
If I had a stock suspension and want to go one of these two routes whats parts are required to complete the suspension mods for a Type R and Zanardi?
Is one better for the street/track driving than other?
I was thinking for getting the front and rear Zanardi sway bars and nsx type r chassis bars. Or should I just stick with all type R parts sway and chassis ?
What other suspension parts differ the stock nsx from TypeR/Zanardi NSX??
Type-R is stiffer than Zanardi.
Both are fine for DD and track use, but the R suspension is a lot stiffer so would be less comfortable on the street but a little better on the track - both are fine for DD/Track duty.

You would need the coilover (spring/shock combination) of the Zinardi or Type R for the conversion.

Type R chassis reinforcement bars are a good idea regardless of what setup you choose.

HKS, JIC, or even JRZ may be a better cost effective option for performance damper than the Type R.

SoS (science of speed) has the spring rates and shock rates for each.

Last edited:
Both are fine for DD and track use, but the R suspension is a lot stiffer so would be less comfortable on the street but a little better on the track - both are fine for DD/Track duty.

You would need the coilover (spring/shock combination) of the Zinardi or Type R for the conversion.

Type R chassis reinforcement bars are a good idea regardless of what setup you choose.

HKS, JIC, or even JRZ may be a better cost effective option for performance damper than the Type R.

Thanks Stuntman

I am going to get the Type R chassis bars and still trying to decide between Type R and Zanardi sway bars...
Another question where do you find the rear sway bar for a Type R ?
Also how important is it to have both rear and fron sway bars? I see alot of people get the fronts type r but what do you do for the rear sway bars?

Type R uses the stock 02+ sway bar.

Thanks CL65 Captain.

ANother question if you guys don't mind.
To go with the type R chassis bars; Will the zanardi rear sway bar need the spacer kit or since its like oem it should just fit fine with out it? Is it worth while to get 02+ rear sway bar with the type r sways? Or should I just go with Zanardi front and back sways? Also CL65Captain you use to have dali sway bars how did you like those ?
Thanks

Thanks CL65 Captain.

ANother question if you guys don't mind.
To go with the type R chassis bars; Will the zanardi rear sway bar need the spacer kit or since its like oem it should just fit fine with out it? Is it worth while to get 02+ rear sway bar with the type r sways? Or should I just go with Zanardi front and back sways? Also CL65Captain you use to have dali sway bars how did you like those ?
Thanks

Any of the OEM sways will fit (front and rear). If you get the Zanardi Suspension then get the Zanardi sways front and rear. If you get the Type R suspension then get the Type R front and leave your stock sway in the rear.

I really liked the Dali sways, because they are adjustable and it is nice to be able to fine tune on the track. I am also running with the Type R chassis braces on the front and the Dalis needed spacers to fit. The one down side to the type R or Z is that there is no adjustability. However, depending on how good a driver you are, this can be a good thing. see below.

I am running the Comptech Pro suspension and if I had to do it over again I would just get the type R suspension, type R front sway, type r chassis braces and OEM stock rear sway. That way it would be done, tried and tuned by Honda and I could just concentrate on improving my driving on the track instead of fiddling and trying to tune the car as well. If you are already an excellent driver then the adjustability is a good thing... but there is something to be said about just sticking with stock, pure Zanardi, or Type R and just learning to drive the car to 9/10ths.

Billy could beat just about anyone in a stock NSX, even if the other person was driving a Type R, etc. The equipment will only make you fast one you are pushing the limits of the stock NSX.

It put its it in better perpective for me now. I drive my car alot and mostly on the street so I went with the Zanardi front and rear sway bars and type R chassis bars.
What kind springs and shocks aftermarket coilover setup does have that have the same feel as the OEM Zanardi spring/shocks??? and also as the Type R ???
Thanks

I have a 91 CTSC'd NSX that I use as a daily driver. I decided to go with the zanardi springs (3/4" lower and stiffer but not nearly as stiff as the Type R's) with Bilsteins and Type R anti-sways. Pretty good compromise and very happy with the results.

I have a 91 CTSC'd NSX that I use as a daily driver. I decided to go with the zanardi springs (3/4" lower and stiffer but not nearly as stiff as the Type R's) with Bilsteins and Type R anti-sways. Pretty good compromise and very happy with the results.

Be aware the Bilsteins will meet an untimely demise when used in concert with the Zanardi springs. They are just barely adequate to dampen those springs properly not to mention you're probably not getting the most out of the setup with out-of-the-box NSX Bilsteins.

They do have a lifetime warranty so you can just send them back to Bilstein when they fail but you'll be R & R them much more frequently which gets expensive.

I would have either gone with Zanardi shocks or have Koni or Bilstein custom valve shocks for use with those springs for maximum performance and life.

Acura dealer can order the Zanardi springs and shocks for you. Also Science of Speed can get the Type S which is the "updated" version on the Zanardi.

Zanardi suspension is .5 in. lower

Type R is .7 in. lower

Type R has greater spring rate and a reservoir on the rear struts.

Find some pictures you will see the difference.

There are two types of Type R suspension - NA1/NA2 S-Zero, and NA2.

NA2 is slightly softer.

Dali sells the Type R springs, so if you can't find a set of Type S suspension and still want some Type R feels, you can buy the Zanardi suspension and install the Type R springs on them.

Type R uses the stock 02+ sway bar.

you were referring to the rear sway bar right? :smile:

i replaced my front swaybar to the type-R and it was a lot bigger in diameter compared to my stock 2004 :smile:

Kidney stones :cool:

Yeah I bet LOL

Type R is .7 in. lower

NA2 is slightly softer.

Dali sells the Type R springs, so if you can't find a set of Type S suspension and still want some Type R feels, you can buy the Zanardi suspension and install the Type R springs on them.

Thanks Vance, some good info I needed to know.

I just got my Zanardi Front and Rear sway bars today:biggrin: . They look nice and come with larger stablizer bushings.
Should have my Type R Chassis Bars front and rear in today.
Now I just need to get me some Type R or Zanardi/Type S springs and shocks. I think I will try out the Type R springs and Zanardi/Type S shocks for my mostly street/some track nsx and than if I want it stiffer I can just change out the Type S shocks to Type R or vice versa if I want it softer.

Now I just need to get me some Type R or Zanardi/Type S springs and shocks. I think I will try out the Type R springs and Zanardi/Type S shocks for my mostly street/some track nsx and than if I want it stiffer I can just change out the Type S shocks to Type R or vice versa if I want it softer.

What I think I'm going to do:
- Copy the Zanardi spring rates with Ground Control/Eibach springs. Zanardi is linear rates, so this is not hard.
- Use Koni shocks. Konis are adjustable to be within the Zanardi shock bound rates.

What this will give me over OEM Zanardi:
- I can rebuild the shocks for free
- I can adjust the height lower if I want
- The total cost should be only around $1100

What I think I'm going to do:
- Copy the Zanardi spring rates with Ground Control/Eibach springs. Zanardi is linear rates, so this is not hard.
- Use Koni shocks. Konis are adjustable to be within the Zanardi shock bound rates.

What this will give me over OEM Zanardi:
- I can rebuild the shocks for free
- I can adjust the height lower if I want
- The total cost should be only around $1100

Good Idea I was thinking the same thing with Eibach/Koni/blistens. But I think the zanardi shocks and springs cost like $1200 so I might just get it. Or Like VanceHu recomended type R springs with Zanardi/Type S shocks would be a nice combination for my needs.

Good Idea I was thinking the same thing with Eibach/Koni/blistens. But I think the zanardi shocks and springs cost like $1200 so I might just get it. Or Like VanceHu recomended type R springs with Zanardi/Type S shocks would be a nice combination for my needs.

Where did Vance recommend Type-R springs and Zanardi/Type-S shocks? Those shocks are absolutely inadequate for those spring rates.

FYI Zanardi/Type-S springs are dirt cheap. No reason to substitute (like Eibach vs. Honda) on springs. Go with Honda.

FYI Zanardi/Type-S springs are dirt cheap. No reason to substitute (like Eibach vs. Honda) on springs. Go with Honda.

They don't lower the car much is the problem. And if you use the lower Koni perch with them, then it's TOO low.

They don't lower the car much is the problem. And if you use the lower Koni perch with them, then it's TOO low.

We're only talking about .25" difference at most between the Type-R and Zanardi springs. I would not use the Type-R springs on anything other than custom valved shocks or Type-R shocks.

G

Where did Vance recommend Type-R springs and Zanardi/Type-S shocks? Those shocks are absolutely inadequate for those spring rates.

Type R is .7 in. lower

NA2 is slightly softer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Graham,

Thats where Vancehu recomended trying the Type R springs with Zanardi suspension. But I see your point about the shocks and springs with matching rates. And Yes I will stick with Honda and either the type R or
Type S/Zanardi springs and shocks.

Sonny

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Graham,

Thats where Vancehu recomended trying the Type R springs with Zanardi suspension. But I see your point about the shocks and springs with matching rates. And Yes I will stick with Honda and either the type R or
Type S/Zanardi springs and shocks.

Sonny

Thanks. I definitely take issue with Vance's recommendation. I would absolutely discourage installation of either the NA1 or NA2 Type-R spring on a Zanardi/Type-S/S-Zero shock.

The NA1 Type-R's spring rates are 15%/8% greater than Zanardi front/rear and the NA2 Type-R spring rates are 47%/57% greater than Zanardi. Obviously a shock cannot effectively handle spring rates 50%+ greater than it was designed for.

One might be able to get away with the NA1 springs but the Zanardi shocks will be significantly compromised and lifespan will certainly be shortened.

Back