whats the best oil to use?

Andy

Guys,

Andy blows up his engine every year while trying to eek out the last drop of performance from his supercharger-du-jour setup.

If YOU blow up your engine every year, you need not worry about the brand or type of oil you use.

Also, if you basically do parade laps around the race track and rarely see the redline, it's also ok to use any oil.

:D :D :D

Touche'

Well said, DONYMO. :)

I will no longer stray (unless re-provoked by Honda 606 who types wording that has no meaning, while claiming to have a strong command of the English language grammar :p ) off-topic, Ken, but you are no angel either in jousting matches herein. :)

Actually, I think the best oil to use is what Eddie used - aircraft oil. :eek:

DONYMO said:
I track my car alot.

My understanding is that synthetic oil holds up better than non-synthetic oil under the real high temps that I experience at the track.

If this is true, it is worth the extra money to me.

In the latest Racecar engineering there is an article about oil. More specifically Shell and what they did for Ferrari. It mention that synthetic is not always better than "dino" oil. FWIW, I've bee using non synthetic oil on my race car (civic)

Re: Andy

DONYMO said:
Guys,

Andy blows up his engine every year while trying to eek out the last drop of performance from his supercharger-du-jour setup.

If YOU blow up your engine every year, you need not worry about the brand or type of oil you use.

Also, if you basically do parade laps around the race track and rarely see the redline, it's also ok to use any oil.

:D :D :D
WOW!!! That is sure impressive!! Blows up motors every year.

Last edited:
This thread has me laughing out loud.

I am fond of recycling my oil. When I change, I drain into an appropriate container. Then, after a few months, I'll drain the next fill into a different container. Since the oil in the first container has rested a couple of months, it's ready to put back in. I carefully funnel it back into the motor, and now, I've got another empty container... :D

After a few changes, I use the oil in container #1 for my lawnmower. It runs great, ask DONYMO. :cool:

If it's lightly/not modified go with the manual... or depending on how you drive it.
If it equiped w/any type of forced induction, I would go Mobil 1 15W-50.

You got lots of info my friend.

Re: Andy

WOW!!! That is sure impressive!! Blows up motors every year.

Right, but I'm not sure who to litigate against.....

1 - Doug Hayashi for his x-file videos (actually, they were xxx videos). Oh wait, I have x-1, x-2, x-3 so I just combined them into xxx.

2 - CTSC for selling me blower.

3 - BBSC for selling me a blower.

4 - Dali Racing (gasp, mentioned in the same sentence with Basch!) for selling me Tecnos and turning me onto Brembos.

5 - The punk in the next lane jabbing the large pedal.

6 - ________ major oil company of your selection for not promising my engine oil is the best.

7 - Briggs-n-Stratton for selling me recycled engine oil.

Bummer - in seven years of NSX ownership, I only have driven (but still paying monthly) my car 3.5 years, because I blow one up every twelve months but it takes six months to be returned.

:D :cool: :) :o :p :D :cool: :) :o :p

so what exactly was the final concensus on how often one should change their oil? i only use mobil 1 and have changed it every 3000 miles, it appears that's a waste from what i've read here.

Or depending on how you look at it, we have plenty! Pick your favorite.

:D

How about simple resale .
When I go looking to buy a used NSX and one owner has changed the oil every 3000 miles with a good synthetic oil, and another tells me it is only needed at (pick the number of miles) 5000, 7500, 10,000, and uses a mineral based oil because it costs less, which has the higher percieved value? Which car am I going to buy, which car am I going to pay more for?
Simple question and it has a simple answer.

Back