Whats The Best Componet Speaker For The Nsx??

I am back to finish my stereo system installs. Right now I have the Diamond Audio D6 componet speakers, JL 10 with Zetoolman sub box, ScienceofSpeed NSX door speaker mounts, Alpine 4 ch 600 watts amp, Alpine 6 Disc Mp3/cd changer.
Next:
-Dynomat the doors may be the whole car.
-Install a fan in the trunk. (like De'cosse has) for the amp, it gets hot in the trunk. Can someone tell me how :confused:
-Nav pod from SOS
-monitor to put in the pod
-deck that plays cds/dvds,vcds,dvdr,mp3

MY QUESTION IS-
What deck does play mp3,dvdr,vcd, under $300? Just a normal deck
and does that deck brand name have a compatible screen to put in my Nav pod? ???

How many people have thier whole car dynomated? Or do most people just do the doors? Is it a big difference between the two?

I know Alpine has a deck that plays DVD discs and everything else, but I believe its much more than $300 unfortunately. You can see which model it is on their website.

The Alpine you are thinking of is the DVA-9861. The retail is $600. There are a few other options, although anything of decent quality will be around that price. Not to mention that with an Alpine changer you will need an Alpine head unit to control it.

Guys the Focal Utopia Be speakers are around $4000/set. What are you reffering to at $1000 and $1500?

Guys the Focal Utopia Be speakers are around $4000/set. What are you reffering to at $1000 and $1500?

Talk about an old thread... I don't think anyone said they were $1000 or $1500.

Malibu Rapper said:
If I'm spending in the $1000+ range, I'd look at the Morel Elate 6 3Way or the Focal Utopia Be.

When you spend over $1000 for a set of speakers, you are not budget minded. You're looking for that exclusivity or technology that commands that high price tag. Diminishing returns...

I wouldn't recommend the Utopia due to the need of being in an enclosure...mainly kickpanels. The best choice in Focal would be the Poly-Kevlar (K2Power) or the Polyglass. They are better designed for "free-air"; in the door; installations, and are much cheaper than the Utopia Be!

Focal all the way. Ive tuned many sets and get incredible results everytime. In their price range (say the V2s at $449~499 a set) they will take on just about anything under $1k.

My personal fav is the V3E. Probably the best speaker setup ever, for its price. It will take on anything below the BE's and even the K3Ps. They dont need a ton of power (unlike the other brothers), and are not rediculously difficult to install.

Utopia - Not bad. Heafy price tag and dont really perform that much better than the Polyglass set. Not only that, difficult to install. Plus they need quite a bit more power (more than double of the V2/V3s, almost triple). On top of that, when you have speakers like these, it would be wise to install them in boxes of some sort. You will not gain that much more midbass, by just replacing these with any other Focal below it. Box em up, and they WILL kick ass.

BE's - They kick ass! But everything is more difficult with them. First off, they are rediculously power hungry and extremely difficult to install. Plus they need tuned boxes and need a TON of depth. They also have a LARGE crossover (the Crossblock lol). They will sound however you so may wish, with a little spin on the dials. But they do offer you everything they state about them.

I got to hear a truck with the BEs in front, Powered by a JBL GTi A3000. it rocked the whole damn neighborhood. You could feel the bass outside of the truck. They sound like 10's in the door with incredible volume and clarity.

If money and space, is no object, get them. There is nothing else (except maybe an Infinity Overture molded to the dash...) that will remotely compare. Its that good.

If money and space, is no object, get them. There is nothing else (except maybe an Infinity Overture molded to the dash...) that will remotely compare. Its that good.

Focal is too mainstream/overrated for my taste. SQ addicts would scream, "Lotus, Lotus, and Lotus."

Mainstream, as in it works? Yes it maybe mainstream, but just installing these speakers doesnt fully entail that it will perform. Tuning is the blood to the any system.

There isnt much that will fully compare in the same price range. Ive been installing for only a few months (lol, MECP Master :)) and Ive seen the bunch over the years.

Next to the Focals though, I did enjoy a set of CDT 62cf's.

Focal is too mainstream/overrated for my taste. SQ addicts would scream, "Lotus, Lotus, and Lotus."

Focal has been for decades on the cutting edge of driver design. The inverted dome tweeter gives about double the dispersion of a standard dome tweeter. Their W sandwich cones are the lightest most rigid cones available, a multi-layer material surpassing the performance of even Kevlar cones. Beryllium tweeters are extremely difficult to produce, very toxic process that requires special factories. Its acoustical properties surpass anything else out there including diamond coated tweeters. Its light, is strong, and it doesn't ring.

I would definitely not call them "overrated".

Focal has been for decades on the cutting edge of driver design. The inverted dome tweeter gives about double the dispersion of a standard dome tweeter. Their W sandwich cones are the lightest most rigid cones available, a multi-layer material surpassing the performance of even Kevlar cones. Beryllium tweeters are extremely difficult to produce, very toxic process that requires special factories. Its acoustical properties surpass anything else out there including diamond coated tweeters. Its light, is strong, and it doesn't ring.

I would definitely not call them "overrated".

From personal experience, Focals has an extremely bright and overly enhanced character to them. Previous setups included 165KFs, 165KPs, running off a MX406 HU. Power came from a Helix A4 comp.

Base on my music criterion of Chinese Pop/soft-rock, I favored warmer, natural voices with transparent highs. Hence, that lead me to the power-thirsty Dynaudios, SEAS lotus, and Helix/Brax S6s (highly recommended ;) ). I've also heard Morel components is a serious SQ player, but haven't had the chance to audition them myself.

Different strokes I guess - as HighlineCA stated, "Tuning is the blood to the any system." :smile:

We go through the install after we are done, and adjust the crossovers as needed. As with most component sets being bright out of the box (at least those under $1k) slight adjustments do need to be made.

If money was no issue, the ONLY speaker worth considering is the Rainbow Reference series (with the Dyna's slightly behind). The drivers you listed are out of the price range... considerably. Although they do provide exactly what you have stated.

I highly recommend the Helix A4/A6s and Brax X2000/X2400 amps. Also one worth mentioning, the Zapco Reference series.

600_PB150020.JPG

600_P1010026.JPG

Blah, and I cant find our Helix pics. Ill get em off disc.

John (John@Microsoft) should chip in here.

He has extensive backround in Audio. However, we have both found the Diamond Audi Hex to be of superior quality which is what he runs and what I've had before. There are 'better' units but they are priced significantly higher, while components in it's price ranges and a bit higher do not get close(imho).

I have some Polk xxx that came with the car(may not be what someone else mentioned are good, but nonetheless) and I am not happy with them as I was with Diamond Audios. I'll likely swap them out. You can't go wrong with them unless money is no object...

-Paul

My current setup, which hopefully will find a new home soon ;)

Helix A4 + Helix S6 and MC duals. Helix amps have an extremely low profile which can be mounted anywhere.

otoro_z33_01.jpg

otoro_z33_02.jpg

otoro_z33_03.jpg

Back