What would you do if no new NSX?

Good question... I don't know. I like my 95 NSX, but with no high-end "children" or "grandchildren" in its future, it has no "production car " lineage, as with other makes such as Ferrari or Porsche`, a one hit wonder so to speak, albeit a wonderful one.

I enjoy the aesthetics, the feel, and until recently, the exclusivity. Speaking to the last point, I guess I feel a bit un-exclusive knowing that a Mitsubishi Lancer has 271hp and travels 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. It seems everything these days outpowers my "exclusive" car. I am confident that issue would not enter my mind if I knew there was a next generation coming.

I suppose an example I can use to illustrate my point is the Ferrari 335; often compared with the NSX on this site. In my view, the 355 is a bit dated in the looks department, has decent but not exotic numbers by 2004 standards and certainly offers exclusivity. The difference is, it has brothers and sisters and children, etc., to hold its place in time as it ages: Lineage.

One final point; even the Corvette, despite it's cheesy, over the top, macho, pinky ring driver image, has lineage. It will probably always be made, giving it's predecessors their time in history.

smonop said:
I suppose an example I can use to illustrate my point is the Ferrari 335; often compared with the NSX on this site. In my view, the 355 is a bit dated in the looks department, has decent but not exotic numbers by 2004 standards and certainly offers exclusivity. The difference is, it has brothers and sisters and children, etc., to hold its place in time as it ages: Lineage.

One final point; even the Corvette, despite it's cheesy, over the top, macho, pinky ring driver image, has lineage. It will probably always be made, giving it's predecessors their time in history.

I agree somewhat, however, in your example, every single car that comes after the previous is better in a lot of aspects. With the “new” NSX, it was once rumored it will be a massed produced vehicle with "value" as its main selling point. It made sense since it seems that all Japanese carmakers are releasing cars that are a lot more affordable than its predecessors. For the NSX, that is not good in my opinion. I rather see it discontinued.

Back to the topic, I heard that the '05 will be a direct carryover, so I will probably purchase that if there is no re-designed NSX. I'm debating on whether to sell my current '01 (only driven 8K miles since I got it new). Or whether to just keep it for track purposes. I’m leaning towards the latter.

I see your point and agree if they chose to make a mass produced successor.

Regarding the 05, what would be the point? Your 01 is low mileage and well kept I am sure. I am of the opinion you would be throwing money away, considering the way the prices drop after 3 years. Why pay for guaranteed good ole fashioned depreciation? Let someone else take the hit and you take advantage in a couple of years. Use the leftover cash for an extreme makeover for a friend or on a trip to a nude all womens beach in Greece or on Scores lap dancers, etc.,... you get the idea.... :p

Well, I couldn't wait, I've traded the NSX for an Elise! Should be here
next March.

If there's no new NSX?

Hm....well,

Toyota Alessandro Volta

12060_1078414762383.jpg

My tentative plans...

hmmm... If there was no suitable & proper replacement for the NSX, I guess I'd have to consider other viable options. My expecations are a $75k-100k exotic coupe made of advanced composites & alloys, heavily loaded w/ technology & sophistication w/o being over-bearing.

I still don't know how/why everyone assumes the HSC has to be some extrordinate amount of currency to aproduce or acquire. :confused: Originally, the NSX was a MSRP of $60k, which increased as the years went on for the added passenger airbag (+93), nicer/larger wheels (+94's), to address the re-engineering needed for the NSX-T model (+95's), the increased displacement & added gear to the drive-train (+97's), the face-lifted front/rear, newer wheels, and additional interior color selections on the latest offering (+02's). Also due to emission demands of particular states changing over the years required going from OBDI to OBDII and also LEV designation. The yen-dollar rates varied considerably over the decade. I'm sure the costs of these factors was forecasted in the changing MSRP.

I really think Honda is capable of producing a car superior to the NSX (in some facets) at a much lower cost. Aluminum construction/manufacturing costs have dropped tremendously, use of composite materials is more mainstream now, and also the current trend of parts-sharing across platforms from multiple manufacturers (ie. Aston Martin V8 Vantage shares the a/c w/ the Mazda RX-8). All these advances w/ countless others should yield to alot more "NSX" for alot less cost. Or even if a higher cost, the performance & offerings of the HSC/NSX-replacement would be mind-blowing. :eek:

However, the shoes to fill would be rather endeavorous as afterall, the NSX has been the only car I've wanted & persistently admired w/o equal ever since it's public viewing in 1990. Of-course, I did have some frivolous thoughts w/ the Mclaren F1, but I'd call those musings more of fantasy/role-playing...! :biggrin:

If the HSC or next NSX was mass-produced from a shared platform & analogous to the Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35 coupe, Mazda RX-8, Lexus SC430, Audi TT, BMW M3/M6, Mercedes CLK/SLK, Porsche Boxster/S, and others in this stretched-out segment, I'd have to pass on it; sadly... :frown:

My desired scenarios would be:
< in order of preference >

- Aston Martin V8 Vantage I can't find a fault in it, yet!

Linkie... www.astonmartin.com

Linkie... Car And Driver: 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage

- Ferrari 360 Modena F1 Simply, my favourite Ferrari after the F50!

- Bentley Continental GT coupe In it's own class, period!

- Porsche 996 911 C2S The only generation of Porsche's I ever cared to notice!

- Mercedes CL55 AMG w/ SLR bonnet I was blown away when I saw it!

Last edited:
I'm revising my above post. If Honda doesn't come out with a new NSX or other sports car, I'll probably give up and enter the performance luxury sedan/coupe market. Realistically I can't afford to maintain a used Ferrari, or other exotic type sports car. A Corvette would be nice, but not with the current build quality. I'm not really a Porsche fans. If Toyota comes out with something nice I would consider jumping ship though.

Independant shoppes for high-end imports...

ChrisK said:
Realistically I can't afford to maintain a used Ferrari, or other exotic type sports car.

hmmm... I am wondering what the reality is of owning an Italian marque, namely one that is identified by the prancing horse (or even a premium British marque such as an Aston Martin, Jaguar, or Bentley) & servicing it w/ an independant shoppe, etc (Luigi's Import Service Centre, Angus's Motorworks, lol). . . :confused:

I think that would be a major factor for myself before even considering an used exotic that has limited production #'s, therefore being somewhat exclusive and dependant on dealer/manufacturer service shoppes.

Back