What was your most memorable bike?

The bike for tots campaign got me remeniscing about my most beloved bike as a kid.It was an orange(amazing) 10 speed chopper with bannana seat.The front wheel was smaller in diameter than the rear(like the nsx).We used to place base-ball cards in the spokes to create a motorcycle like noise!My friends and I were into jumping,we would build elaborate ramps (on the street) :eek: and see how much air we could hang!I had to give it up after the frame had bent from the constant stress.

I didn't get a bike until 14 or 15 years old which I saved up enough money for from work.
It was a Fugi 10 speed road bike.
Actually, that's the only bike I ever had.

docjohn said:
The bike for tots campaign got me remeniscing about my most beloved bike as a kid.It was an orange(amazing) 10 speed chopper with bannana seat.The front wheel was smaller in diameter than the rear(like the nsx).We used to place base-ball cards in the spokes to create a motorcycle like noise!My friends and I were into jumping,we would build elaborate ramps (on the street) :eek: and see how much air we could hang!I had to give it up after the frame had bent from the constant stress.

Like this one Doc...I had the same Bike. :biggrin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35961&item=2294051020&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I had a Ross Apollo Chopper and the thing was a wheelie monster. I can't even remember how many times I smashed my nuts on that freaking gearshift, but I know it was one too many times! :eek:

RC70HBR5s.JPG

That is one of the most hilarious things Ive read in awhile!!!! Thanks Doc!!

You should put that bike in your avatar and in your signature!!

That thing is a soprano maker!!

It also had one of these on it. I think I got that death bike up to 27 mph once going downhill.

speedo1.JPG

Thanx for those pics guys!At least our younger members can see what we boomers are talking about.My light worked for about a year and then rusted.The speedo did'nt last long either!And you are right that thing wheelied my full block!

i had a tight 15spd bike. it was originally red, but i painted it blue........the whole thing. that haunts me everytime i go into the garage or on the driveway. probably should have put down some newspaper when i painted it? but who cares?! i was a kid! :biggrin:. my next bike, 21spd, had an electronic speedometer. said i got up to 30mph once but ya never know. but then someone stole the display off my speedometer, or maybe i lost it, but that sucked

I was a Huffy kid

When I did not have my head buried in BMX Plus drooling over Dynos, Mongooses, GTs, Hutch, and other bad-ass bikes, I was terrorizing the streets on my 20" Huffy freestyle. I can’t seem to find a picture or even recall the model name, but I remember it was one of the first freestyle frame bikes Huffy offered. The frame was mostly white, but purple near the front with yellow letters. The stock tires were white. I loved doing framestands and, of course, jumping home-built ramps. This bike was my favorite! Looking back, it’s surprising I did not break any bones. I also had a 27" Huffy 12-speed, a 20" Huffy Eagle V (?) that was black with yellow pads and a red 20" Huffy, which was my first bike.

While the neighborhood kids and I were lucky to have a Huffy, Murray, or the Sears brand (I think it was called Free Spirit) with inner tubes that hold air and a straight frame with no major cracks, my sister somehow convinced my parents that she could not go on living unless she had a Hutch. This bike was completely chrome and cost way more what we should have been able to afford. To this day, I’m still not sure how she pulled that off. Unfortunately, she did not have it long... it was stolen one day when I borrowed it to go to a friend’s house (I think to play Sega Master System). I felt so bad about this.

Back to Huffys: My friends had two models that I really liked: Sigma and Vortex (pictures I found on the net below). Funny how I used to think all that tacked-on plastic stuff was cool (although I still like the Sigma's wheel covers). While the quality may be average, Huffy could rice-up a bike like no one else. :D

Attachments

• Huffy-Sigma-1987.jpg
    Huffy-Sigma-1987.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 292
  • Huffy-Vortex.jpg
    Huffy-Vortex.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 304
Wow, I haven't thought about my old bikes in years.

My favorite bike was a candy apple red Torker BMX frame holding together a mish-mash of assorted other pieces. I was 8 or 9 years old, circa 1978, and I begged my parents for this gleaming jewel of a frame. The Torkers were famous for the twin beam top rail frame design. Here's a picture of what mine looked like, but this one is chrome: picture

My favorite bike was my red 20" Schwinn.
My real fun was when I was 11 (1963), I got a McCulloch racing cart.
Silver blue with a silver blue/white bucket seat. Slicks, disc brakes, straight rear axel with a teardrop tank built into the rer of the seat frame.
Powered by a McCulloch MC9 chainsaw motor, with a straight stack on the carb, direct drive (later replaced by a Max Torque rasing clutch) and ran it on fuel/castrol mixture. After I went through a set or two of rings I switched to white gas and Castrol. That thing was fast and the fuel would make you dizzy. Couple it with a straight tuned no baffle cone shaped exhaust it just SCREAMED like a hornet on steriods.
Now you know why I like the NSX. I'm eleven all over again.

Sorry Doc for the hijack.

That's ok Joe.My other bike that predated the chopper but did get me through the training wheel stage was an "english racer"I'm not sure of the brand though.

I remember a Schwinn paperboy bike I had, it had spring suspension in the front and a flat rack in the front with a spring clip. Logged many miles on that ride, brings back some great memories :smile:

Back