What tires are you using

I just got some new wheels, and was looking at tirerack... and was surprised by some of the user ratings. I thought it would be good to have a thread of what people are buying these days, and how they like their tires!

I am considering:

215/40ZR17 XL Continental ExtremeContact DW Blackwall
You chose not to provide vehicle information
In Stock

$114.00 $228.00
Remove
Save to Wish List
255/40ZR17 Continental ExtremeContact DW Blackwall
In Stock

$150.00 $300.00

Total: $528.00
(before tax and shipping)

These wheels are both 17's... I heard the TCS may not like a non staggered wheel set up. Any suggestion on how to mitigate this? Perhaps a low profile on the fronts and a higher profile on the rears?

Those are stock NSX 02-up size, you will have no issues.

Original Equipment Sizes for 2005 Acura NSX

Original Equipment Front Size 1: 215/40-17

Original Equipment Rear Size 1: 255/40-17

Last edited:
I just got some new wheels, and was looking at tirerack... and was surprised by some of the user ratings. I thought it would be good to have a thread of what people are buying these days, and how they like their tires!

I am considering:

215/40ZR17 XL Continental ExtremeContact DW Blackwall
In Stock

$114.00 $228.00
Remove
Save to Wish List
255/40ZR17 Continental ExtremeContact DW Blackwall
In Stock

$150.00 $300.00

Total: $528.00
(before tax and shipping)

These wheels are both 17's... I heard the TCS may not like a non staggered wheel set up. Any suggestion on how to mitigate this? Perhaps a low profile on the fronts and a higher profile on the rears?

Hey Bud,

Same tires I'm considering - they have a good noise rating and tread wear. It's that camber and toe in you gotta get right. There is a lot on that in the archives. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I have are ok but not sticky enough. I had a chance to drive an NSX with the DWs on it and they were really nice! You won't be dissappointed.

I've got a question to my buddy that has then with Swift springs which lower the car a bit and I'm wondering what's the best you can expect to get down to on the camber. I want 0 toe in and as little camber as I can get cause that's what makes your tires last longer. The difference in sticky should make up for the little degredation in handling from the less sporty alignment settings for most but the track guys.

BTW, if anyone is wondering how the Swift Sport progressive springs feel - they feel GREAT! And they make the car look just about perfect in my opinion - not too low and not too high - just right. I think that the slammed look makes the car look too heavy - personal taste.

Adios

Hey Bud,

Same tires I'm considering - they have a good noise rating and tread wear. It's that camber and toe in you gotta get right. There is a lot on that in the archives. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I have are ok but not sticky enough. I had a chance to drive an NSX with the DWs on it and they were really nice! You won't be dissappointed.

I've got a question to my buddy that has then with Swift springs which lower the car a bit and I'm wondering what's the best you can expect to get down to on the camber. I want 0 toe in and as little camber as I can get cause that's what makes your tires last longer. The difference in sticky should make up for the little degredation in handling from the less sporty alignment settings for most but the track guys.

BTW, if anyone is wondering how the Swift Sport progressive springs feel - they feel GREAT! And they make the car look just about perfect in my opinion - not too low and not too high - just right. I think that the slammed look makes the car look too heavy - personal taste.

Adios

Two questions: How much were the swift sports (where did you get them), and do you have a picture to show the height after installation? Ok, three questions LOL

JF

Those are stock NSX 02-up size, you will have no issues.

Original Equipment Sizes for 2005 Acura NSX

Original Equipment Front Size 1: 215/40-17

Original Equipment Rear Size 1: 255/40-17

Correct, I have them on my 2005 and have no issues at all. We bought a set before driving to NSXPO in Vegas last year and they are nice. They aren’t loud, handled in the heavy rain we drove through, and kept up with any spirited driving we experienced. They are not like the OEM tires but they will last longer than 8000 miles. :smile:

Correct, I have them on my 2005 and have no issues at all. We bought a set before driving to NSXPO in Vegas last year and they are nice. They aren’t loud, handled in the heavy rain we drove through, and kept up with any spirited driving we experienced. They are not like the OEM tires but they will last longer than 8000 miles. :smile:

Are you saying that the OEM tire was superior? Do you have any suggestions of tires that are better?

Are you saying that the OEM tire was superior? Do you have any suggestions of tires that are better?

The OEM tire really stuck to the road, I am not a hard driver so the Continental's are perfect for me. I can drive hard once in a while and not replace my tires every year. These are the 3rd set of tires on the car since new. I got 8000 on the OEM, 16000 on the second set and hopefully this set will last a little longer.

As for better, thats more about what you want out of your tires. I want some performance and higher mileage. I have a "garage queen" and really only take it out on freeways for longer drives. I found a balance I Like. I am sure there are others on the forum that perfer other tires. Read Ken Sax's (NSXTASY) posts or search Continental Extreme DW's for some other opinions. That's what I did before I purchased mine.

I have OEM 02+ wheels with Dunlop Star Spec Z1 tires. I think Tirerack is the only place where you can get them now. Great tires.

I had some toyos on my car when I first got it. I wore those babies out pretty quickly the problem is I need a camber kit very badly. I cant seem to find camber kits for sale tho. I got some hankooks on there right now. Who knows how long these will last. I dont really drive my car hard but after a 1,000 miles them seem to still look good.

Ok, ive narrowed it down to these three players:

In alphabetical order:

1. Continental ExtremeContact DW - 114 each
2. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - 139 each
3. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 - 162 each

I am torn...

Continental sounds AMAZING except some people say its like driving on gummy bears and some say its a great tire. Price wise, noise wise, everything but that damn gummy bear feel a couple of people mentioned.

Z1's seem like a good all around tire. I havent heard anything bad about these. BUT ive heard the ADVANS are better. ;(

Advans - pricey, and relatively noisy. HOW noisy though? Is it worth the extra 50 dollars a tire?

So, ive narrowed it down to three! :) DAMN!!!! Which way to go???

I have the Continental's on my 2005 Acura TL and I really like them. With that being said a TL is not an NSX, but I have never thought of them as 'gummybear' like. I do like to drive 'spirited' but still FWD is not RWD. I would buy them again.

My only complaint is visually they are not as nice as other tires. The tread is kinda bland.

As a note Discount Tire will price match anyone. I went online to Tire Rack for these tires and even with shipping, Tire Rack price was better by 10/tire. I told this to Discount, and they matched it, no questions asked. I did this as returns/flats/rotations ect are much easier when buying local as opposed to online...

I live in Washington which has a 8.xx% sales tax, but I work in Oregon, which has no sales tax. When I mentioned getting the work done in Oregon, as it would be easier for me to leave work, and the tax savings, Discount tire further reduced the sales price of the tires to equal the no sales tax price I could get in Oregon, and was told they are "happy to keep Washington buisness local". All said and done, mounted and balanced for 400 out the door.

Just food for thought. They go above and beyond to please, and they have great service.

Last edited:

From those choices, I would go with number 2 or 3. I have heard good reviews from both of those tires, and there are many good comparisons between them. I forgot who came out on top, but some say Z1 is better and some say the AD08s are better. Since you can save ~100 bucks by going with the Z1s, I would try those and the AD08s later. AD08s might be cheaper later after your Z1s are done.

In alphabetical order:

I am torn...

Continental sounds AMAZING except some people say its like driving on gummy bears and some say its a great tire. Price wise, noise wise, everything but that damn gummy bear feel a couple of people mentioned.

Z1's seem like a good all around tire. I havent heard anything bad about these. BUT ive heard the ADVANS are better. ;(

Advans - pricey, and relatively noisy. HOW noisy though? Is it worth the extra 50 dollars a tire?

I don't think you have said what they will be used for/what you're looking for in a tire?

Peak performance - dry grip - wet grip - longevity - tire noise - track rat - occasional track use - daily driver - importance of comfort, etc...

All 3 of those options are in the same ultimate performance street tire category with the AD08 slightly edging out the StarSpec in terms of performance - and The Conti a fairly close 3rd (but dosn't hold up to continuous abuse as well as the AD08 or StarSpec). But in terms of peak lap time when new, the Conti is in the ballpark as the other two for a few laps, but the AD08 and StarSpec hold the performance longer.

The StarSpec is probably the best bang/buck out there while the AD08 is still king. What the Conti loses in peak performance it gains in longevity and I believe tire noise.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Billy

In alphabetical order:

I am torn...

I have the Dunlops and really like them.

I don't think you have said what they will be used for/what you're looking for in a tire?

Peak performance - dry grip - wet grip - longevity - tire noise - track rat - occasional track use - daily driver - importance of comfort, etc...

All 3 of those options are in the same ultimate performance street tire category with the AD08 slightly edging out the StarSpec in terms of performance - and The Conti a fairly close 3rd (but dosn't hold up to continuous abuse as well as the AD08 or StarSpec). But in terms of peak lap time when new, the Conti is in the ballpark as the other two for a few laps, but the AD08 and StarSpec hold the performance longer.

The StarSpec is probably the best bang/buck out there while the AD08 is still king. What the Conti loses in peak performance it gains in longevity and I believe tire noise.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Billy

I would like to get on a track this year, but havent tracked any car before. When I drive my car I usually push it a little. I like to powerslide a bit, but the tires I have now are horrible. I don't even know which ones I have.. they were installed by the dealership I purchased her from last year. They are so hard they look new and I have put 8k on them. Wet or dry, all they do is spin.

I would like to get on a track this year, but havent tracked any car before. When I drive my car I usually push it a little. I like to powerslide a bit, but the tires I have now are horrible. I don't even know which ones I have.. they were installed by the dealership I purchased her from last year. They are so hard they look new and I have put 8k on them. Wet or dry, all they do is spin.
Any of the 3 options would be a WORLD of improvement.

This is probably over-simplifying to a negative degree, but (somewhat inaccurate) quick and subjective:

Conti - comfort/longevity
StarSpec - best bang/buck, 9/10 the AD08
AD08 - peak performance

I'd go with the AD08 because tenths of a second matter to me and because I really like Yokohamas (have the AD08 on my M3 and love them) but you really can't go wrong with the StarSpec.

Go look at your car and let us know what size, make, and model they are.

Any of the 3 options would be a WORLD of improvement.

This is probably over-simplifying to a negative degree, but (somewhat inaccurate) quick and subjective:

Conti - comfort/longevity
StarSpec - best bang/buck, 9/10 the AD08
AD08 - peak performance

I'd go with the AD08 because tenths of a second matter to me and because I really like Yokohamas (have the AD08 on my M3 and love them) but you really can't go wrong with the StarSpec.

Go look at your car and let us know what size, make, and model they are.

This is where you will hear a grown man cry.... ITS IN STORAGE :'(

I have to go check it out, I know I do.. Hmmm, maybe this is a reason to go see her....

OK OK, you talked me into it... Im hoping in the car and finding out.. LOL

I have a set of the Conti DW's on my S2000. For how well they are wearing, they are great tires all around. They are a bit pricey though and I don't know that I would buy them again if there isn't a special promo going on (free GPS at the time and I did not own one).

I went with Conti DW 215/40/17 - 265/35/18 a month ago and like them a lot.
I went on a spirit drive and they behave quite well and show no bad behavior.

I had Nitto NT05 235/275. great tires and they had a lot of grip but the rear did not last long(i have Thom's camber kit and mild align settings) and the front rubs a lot drove me nuts. since I don;t track my car so I went with the Conti.

The front now feels a lot lighter to turn. I am not interested squeezing the last 1/10th lap time so I did not go with the Dunlop Star Spec which has more grip than my Conti but probably won;t last much longer than my old NT05.

Last edited:
This is where you will hear a grown man cry.... ITS IN STORAGE :'(

I have to go check it out, I know I do.. Hmmm, maybe this is a reason to go see her....

OK OK, you talked me into it... Im hoping in the car and finding out.. LOL

IM BACK -

They put Dunlap DZ101's on... and Im not sure why they would do that!

Those are average performance oriented tires, I see a lot of people run them since they last a long time -

If you want to go to the track - get star specs, or R888 or RA-1 - not in that order...

I've heard the NT01 dont last that long.

Angus - you didn't differentiate the street classed StarSpec from the R-compound 888 or RA1. The NT01 seems to be the most popular R-compound tire currently.

The AD08 is a little quicker than the StarSpec but Hankooks new street tire might be the new king and faster than the AD08, but I'm not sure if its longevity is as good

I am still running Yoko OEMs in 15 and 16 size. When you follow the NSX you can see it pick up all the pebbles on the road. That's a sticky tire.

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I have decided to go with the Yoko Advans. I will update this page once I get a chance to drive on them. I am not sure if I should sell my OEM wheels or not. If I dont, I will put another tire on them like the continentals and see if they really feel like its driving on gummy bears and compare the two.

Jason

Back