What should be my next step...

...If i am looking for more power on the street. Im not looking to drag or to track the car- waaay too nice for that but i do want more streetable power.

currently the car has ...

Tien susp (full coils)
Cantrell AIS with uni filter
Comptech headers
Anytime exhaust

Im thinking if i should do a chip? and if so who/ which one? If not any other ideas? maybe cams? ive thought of TODA but i dont want to have to rebuild the heads if i donthave to and the car only has 35K miles.

I would love to do a SC but i already have a booted GSR and if i want extreme power ill get in that. (425 from a 4 banger)

I dont want the NSX any louder - that was the point of me buying it- i wanted a sports car/ head turner that was a COMFORTABLE ride.

thanks for any suggestions

...If i am looking for more power on the street. Im not looking to drag or to track the car- waaay too nice for that but i do want more streetable power.

currently the car has ...

Tien susp (full coils)
Cantrell AIS with uni filter
Comptech headers
Anytime exhaust

Im thinking if i should do a chip? and if so who/ which one? If not any other ideas? maybe cams? ive thought of TODA but i dont want to have to rebuild the heads if i donthave to and the car only has 35K miles.

I would love to do a SC but i already have a booted GSR and if i want extreme power ill get in that. (425 from a 4 banger)

I dont want the NSX any louder - that was the point of me buying it- i wanted a sports car/ head turner that was a COMFORTABLE ride.

thanks for any suggestions

I did the SOS chip. It feels faster. I never verified with a dyno though.

You should look into doing some weight reduction. After the chip you will have done basically everything that doesn't require pulling the motor, or going FI. Check out the the "Dali Craig Weight Loss" page. http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/weight_loss/weight_loss_cost_matrix.cfm

I have an integra that I'm working on boosting right now. For engine management I'm going for a custom made OBD0->OBD1 conversion (which I've gathered up enough parts to make two complete kits; no splicing the cars harness & no rywire). I'm going to be using an OBD1 ecu socketed (ZIF), and chipped for Uberdata and/or Crome (maybe Neptune a little bit later).

I'm confident that I can find a a PR7 dump and maybe figure a way to hop it up a little bit in code and lay it down on a p28 (I don't want to even mod a virgin PR7 since they are rare and outrageous in price). It is very possible that it's already out there and will be a simple search & find. I may look into this more if there is an apparent interest out there. Whomever wants to be the guinea pig (prototype tester) will have to be patient and be willing to datalog and work with a wideband (which I may be able to supply).

Currently I am having quite a few people use my custom ECUs for their projects. A few N/A b16 swaps and of course my custom turbo project. My ECUs also include a data logging USB port. I'm going to have a female USB plug-in just to the right of my A/C controls right in the middle of the dash (cleverly hidden but convenient enough to just sit the laptop in the passenger seat and just link up). I'm trying things that are a little bit different and innovative as compared to what's already out there from various tuners.

Yes I know that SOS does this service for a reasonable price, but I have a more DIY approach to everything and want to be able to give enthusiasts the possibility of utilizing the beauty of the honda engine managment technology that has been completely reverse engineered for a number of years now. I think it would be nice to keep your own PR7 virgin and a backup as a failsafe. It's easy to use the widely common p28 or even a vtec converted p06 for controlling your own custom setups. These setups of course ranging from just a little bit aggressive (but mostly stock car) all the way to custom FI and nitrous applications.

The trend is out there and thousands of civic/integra/prelude/accord drivers have been enjoying the benefits for years. The C series motors are somewhat uncharted territory. I may not own one but I wouldn't mind diving in and sharing my knowledge.

Let me know what you guys think

-Ryan

Oh yeah, my work will also apply to all those 1995/96+ OBD2 people out there giving you the possibility to retrofit to OBD1. This also gives you the ability to easily eliminate your catalytic converters.

I was told tuning the car with a vtec controller will get you some more power.

I'll let you know how it turns out on Tuesday of next week when I get the car.

The car will be dynoed also.

Can't beat Dyno tuning. Problem is, it's hard to actually tune a honda with the Dyno - you more or less record what's going on and then alter the basemaps. It's easy if all you have is a vafc or some other standalone that has a simple interface. Tuning with TurboEdit/BRE/Crome/Uberdata takes a little patience.

much appreciated advice-
As far as FI goes- I agree that FI can quiet a car's MOTOR down a bit but then in order for the motor to "breathe" better and extract better power from FI you typically need to move to a larger Diam. exhaust--

therefore making the car a bit louder-- this was the case with my teg.

there are already some wieght reduction items on the car and i may do more based on the link.... and the chip was the same thought i had. I will most likely not go with a stand-alone chip or one thats home/custom made--

no offense DB1 but i like to be able to bitch at someone if i have to- I went with hondata S200 on the integra when it was first released few years ago.

Will do on the filter... thanks Supra - but like i said on cams- more work than im willing to do myself- Too cheap to pay some one and i dont want to do valve train on a car thats so perfect from the factory-

I think i answered my own question in that its already complete pretty much......THANKS SAMSON!

none taken. SOS has a good niche with their product, but I'm the kind of person that likes to do things on my own.. why bother to spring for hondata when the DIY OBD1 chipping lets you can accomplish the same goals.

I still think that it would be nice to see an NSX run a chipped p28 ecu. I know if I owned one that's what I would do. Call me cheap - but I don't like to have anyone else touch any of my cars, the only time I farm work out is getting tires, and the tire shop still managed to scar up one of my freshly refinished rims :mad:

sorry on the rim thing...
but how can you get a p28 4 cyl civic motor to properly run a V6??

i understand its mostly A/F ratios we are talking here and you can reprog everything such as injector size etc, but it just doesnt seem right--

now if you were taking an NSX ECU and reprog, that i would understand.

but I propose a question for you.... did you make your own intake? header? exaust? sway bars? so why mess with your own electronics?

because you have experience inthat area?
I am an eye doctr but i didnt do my own LASIK... I know im being sarcastic and i am just playing around- I admire your drive to do this on your own. I just feel somethings (like a 60,000 dollar car) you should not skimp with....

I know nothing about the human eye, I'm thankful for having great vision. What I do for a living is IT/Helpdesk. I solve problems so to speak, I provide a solution in a timely fashion to server issues. What I do in the garage is a different world, I fabricate custom parts (which you may show interest with your integra). Another hobby of mine is electronics, I can repair quite a few things, but my passion is hacking the circuits. I have a wealth of xbox consoles around here and even more honda ECUs.

Don't look at the ECU as a 4 cylinder civic computer, but instead as an OBD1 honda ECU with vtec output. I don't know if the 4 cylinder computer has outputs for your 6 injectors, but I do know that for the most part the rest of the pinouts are the same. It is very plausible that the alternative can work for you, I've made a hybrid engine management setup work for many-many cars. All I need is a starting point and the community enthusiasts (including me) so we can go from there.

When you define A/F ratios I hope that you are referring to wideband sensors. Face it, the narrowband sensors found on every single honda except the VX/HX civic hatch are junk - I'm actually going for a near perfect wideband tune and just turn the routine for the o2 completely off (which saves the unit from being ruined due to race fuel). Now once upon a time the 5-wire VX OBD1 sensors were the shit, they were truly the DIY approach to the much expensive wideband solution back a few years ago. I was fully about the project but by the time I got to it the price of those sensors were $300+. Right now the LSU4 bosch sensors have become dirt cheap (I mean cheap) and just about now the movement has made it for us DIY innovative guys a real dream (I'm apart of it)! I know it means nothing to the people driving 80k sports cars but it means everything to me who never lets no mechanic touch my acura.

You want to talk about making my own parts? Yes I make lots of custom parts in my own garage on my own; I spend more and more money on tools to eliminate taking things to my trusted machine shop. My current biggest venture is experimentations with shot peening (yes without an Almen gauge). I've made exhaust manifolds and I can do about any pipe. My current project car will most likely get a mild steel log manifold and complete custom charge pipes. For sway bars, the best upgrade is a Type-R with a custom made brace. I am able to do these things since I used to be a professional welder/fabricator. I still have a current business with taxes paid in full yet I seriously lack the expensive equipment I used to sport (long family story). So yes, I can just about make it all myself. I mess with electronics as a hobby (as is most things). I have over two year experience in electronics repair so the least I can do is put my skill+tools to work.

Look, I don't own an NSX, I make a fraction of what you make a year. My parents never gave me anything, the intelligence (see proper typing ability) and the cars that I obtain are all on me. So I drive a 1991 Integra Sedan.. why? Because I want to. I've had 3 other Integras and plenty of other cars, but this is what I want. I have been with the key players while the honda ECU was fully hacked. I was one of the first to develop a basemap for a boosted 91 accord (f22a1). Right now I'm nearing the top of my chipping game. I figure that the next best move would be to play with an exotic car that is still a honda.

I don't expect to get respect from you guys, I'm only here to do something different. I don't care what the rest of the doctors & lawyers say about me (my family is full of doctors and lawyers, I chose mechanics & real life above what they expected of me). If somebody shares the same passion with cars as I do than please step forward.

I have a lot of respect for you and your post above-
to be able to accomplish half of those things is amazing. I understand the gratification of being able to create something with your own hands (Ie manifold- and be able to say "i did that" especially on my own...

I dont want you to think that i doubt what you are doing. however- a 60 thousand dollar car with a 10000 dollar motor (roughly) is not something i want to chance when it comes to mapping-

Truly good luck to you and your development of an ECU - Im sure in a year o two you will be laughing at me telling me -- "I told you so..." when i come to you to buy your DB1 chip.........

cheers:redface: :wink:

Dali Hot Chip. The website has all the info along with dyno "chip off". He's also in San Diego. So if you're in so cal, he's just a short jaunt down the road.

Dali can also do a Big Bore throttle body too. I don't know too much on gains but there is atleast some. Price is fairly cheap too.

You can also goto the Vendor's section and look for posts from our GT-ROM guy. He's got some wild Infinity Throttle body w/ ecu "plug in(?)" that's supposed to do some big gains. Price is a premium though.

here ya go, if was actually my first question to him:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81524

I have a lot of respect for you and your post above-

I dont want you to think that i doubt what you are doing. however- a 60 thousand dollar car with a 10000 dollar motor (roughly) is not something i want to chance when it comes to mapping-

cheers:redface: :wink:

I was at the Acura dealer the other day getting parts and priced a short block as a goof.......$25000.00:eek:

If power is what you want. I would go for FI Super Charger! A nice bolt on, that will give you tremendous gain in torque. Tremendous gain in torque in your mid engine rear wheel drive NSX, will be very suffiecient in power on the streets, you'll be punching out of turns like a bat out of hell! :biggrin:

The closest FI car I've driven is my bro's MR2 Turbo, and he had a NA before that. WOW. FI will definatley put you back into your seat. You can just get a Chip, but I feel you will be even more power hungry after that. More Torque baby, you won't regret that.

Good Luck!

Yeah, I think I would be scared to to touch a 2000+ NSX. I could see myself buying a '91 that needed a little TLC for under 20k. As far as the car goes, it's a honda. If I blew the c30 I would run out and get a c32 from a legend (assuming the mount points are the same like the rest of the family). Otherwise they respond the same as a civic when it comes to the electronics. I think a primary difference in the pr7 ECU is that it has quite a few more maps, maybe for precision tuning? The 10:1 C/R doesn't scare me off at all, as long as you keep an eye on function then it's very maneuverable to work with.

If someone is running a custom base map (aside from c-speed racing) feel free to pm me. Remember, SOS had to start somewhere. They are making a buck off the tuning from the efforts of others who pioneered the movement of ECU hacking. All they are selling is a .bin file and installing it for you.

is the C32 in the legend a VTEC motor?? i didnt think they were? if not a head swap should fix that prob but i am sure the engind codes cant be the SAME SAME??

is the C32 in the legend a VTEC motor?? i didnt think they were? if not a head swap should fix that prob but i am sure the engind codes cant be the SAME SAME??

No, the C32 in the Legend is a 90 degree SOHC non VTEC longitudinal mounted engine. It may all be from the same C classed engines, but the changes in the NSX motor are significant. As an long time ex Legend owner we used to discuss the possibilities of swapping in an NSX motor or even just the heads into the Legend, but it really isn't a feasible swap as it would be more like a complete custom engine swap with a different type of motor then say swapping the B series engines into the various different Hondas, or even swapping in a H22 into an Integra. The work and cost wasn't really worth it. That said, I would definitely NOT swap in the C32A1 Legend engine into the NSX.

Holy Smokes this is no ordinary B-Series swap. If your motor is running fine, you dont need to mess with a Swap. Save a hassle and bolt on your goodies. This is a NSX not a Civic or an Integ or Prelude.:smile:

we are discussing further modification of the NSX beyond what is listed- and swapping a blown motor for a good one out of any car into an NSX seems on topic to me

especially if the motor was blown due to poor tuning while on a dyno-- hence the way we got on this topic.....

back to the title.... what should be the next step AFTER a potential chip? without tearing into the internals? I see nothing to be the answer.:biggrin:

No, the C32 in the Legend is a 90 degree SOHC non VTEC longitudinal mounted engine. It may all be from the same C classed engines, but the changes in the NSX motor are significant. As an long time ex Legend owner we used to discuss the possibilities of swapping in an NSX motor or even just the heads into the Legend, but it really isn't a feasible swap as it would be more like a complete custom engine swap with a different type of motor then say swapping the B series engines into the various different Hondas, or even swapping in a H22 into an Integra. The work and cost wasn't really worth it. That said, I would definitely NOT swap in the C32A1 Legend engine into the NSX.

My brother has a 95 legend and is always saying that they are basically the same motor. Guess that is not true if you can't even swap the heads over. :confused:

J. R.

What chip?

what should be the next step AFTER a potential chip? without tearing into the internals? I see nothing to be the answer.:biggrin:
You already have the easy stuff (headers, exhaust, etc.). There's only so much you can do after that. ;) You have a 3.2L NA2. Which chip do you have in mind that works with your NSX?

If you're set on NA: I suppose you could spend $1000+ on bored throttle body and high-flow cats, but the gains will be very small. You could spend several thousand for stand-alone engine management by itself, but you'd still have to deal with tuning and it's likely to have at least a few glitches. You could spend ~$3000 on camshafts, springs, etc. then $2500 for AEM, then ~$1000 for tuning. You could do that.

You mentioned you want something comfortable, and I'd imagine you don't want to sacrifice reliability too much. I think you're better off either leaving things as-is or just going with a CTSC: There's not much that's cost-effective in between.

BTW: Science of Speed has a nice breakdown of NA power stages.

i hear the short gears would give some of the most dramatic changes - i wouldn't know..... i was going to do them when i change the clutch, but looks like i'm going to have to do it some other time (this car is too damn spensive :frown: )

Back