what rear tires can last about 20k miles on nsx?

As noted above, he was referring to worn/bald tread along both edges (inside edge and outside edge) of the tread.

Hi

I was. I had a momentary laps of reason and said they where flat. I am looking forward to getting new rears on tuesday.

I was out driving today just because I had to and it was wet. The NSX was very predicitable as the back end went pretty sideways when powering out of corners. :biggrin:

As expected as the grip was very low with bald tires on wet with approx 265hp going to the rear wheels.

I will make a note of the milage on my beloved HP200LX Palmtop so I can report about the milage I get out of the Dunlop's.

Regards

I was out driving today just because I had to and it was wet. The NSX was very predicitable as the back end went pretty sideways when powering out of corners. :biggrin:

As expected as the grip was very low with bald tires on wet with approx 265hp going to the rear wheels.

I will make a note of the milage on my beloved HP200LX Palmtop so I can report about the milage I get out of the Dunlop's.

Sorry for my sarcastic remark but if you go out with bald tires and let the backend step out there's no need to memorize the miles driven with your Palm as your car won't last as long as the next set of tires (no confusion here: I hope it does but please don't wreck Gheba's nice ex-car :wink:). :D

I hope it does but please don't wreck Gheba's nice ex-car :wink:). :D

Hi

I had to take it out as I mounted a gps with gsm in the back which will notify me on my cellphone with coordinates if somebody nicks my NSX.

I did not go sideways everywhere. But I may have accidently gone a little sideways going out of a couple of corners. Not much. I am a single parent for a super nice X Gheba NSX so I will ofcourse take care of her. :smile:

Back to topic. I will do a alignment soon. I am not sure if I will still go with the OEM settings for camber and all. I probably will. About 9000km on the rears is okey I guess.

Regards

Last edited:
I still can't believe that they didn't change the compound if they've found better one as the other producers do this too. The profile may stay the same over the years but the latest compound is the result of the latest evolution and it's easy for the producers to do so.
They do indeed upgrade their products every so many years, but they do so by coming out with a new model designation. (Sometimes they discontinue the previous model, sometimes it continues to be available.) The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx replaced the SP 9000 a few years ago as the top general-purpose summer tire (not counting the specialty Sport Z1 Star Spec). Goodyear recently came out with the Eagle F1 Assymetric, although it isn't available in smaller sizes for our front tires, and the F1 GS-D3 continues to be available for the time being.

Want max mileage out of any tire? Zero Camber, Zero Toe, keep the traction control on.

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned more regarding tire wear, you definitely want to look into reducing your camber and toe settings if you want longer tire life from the rears. Do a search on alignment specs and tire wear for specifics, but the early NSX's "scuffed their tires into oblivion" and there was a class action law suit against Honda for the tires wearing out too fast (so owners thought), so Honda responded by changing the camber/toe settings to increase tire life. I think it's in the FAQ's or Wikipedia stuff here.

FYI any of these routes will reduce maximum performance, but if you're driving it daily it may make very good sense for you and you may not even notice the performance decrease unless you're pushing it, which you probably aren't in daily use.

OH, but I wouldn't change the front specs too much, I accidentally dialed out my turn-in response by changing the toe setting... and it was absolutely lousy so I had to get it changed back because the car felt sloppy and loose. Since those tires last forever comparitively and are much cheaper than the rears, it was easily worth it for me. If you want I can look at my alignment spec sheet and let you know which settings I used that I've been happy with.

Also, your car won't look quite as mean from the rear when you dial out that camber! :frown:

5600 miles for the lifespan of rear tires on an NSX is not unusual at all.

Hi

A little update. It seems that I run out of tires on the back after about 4722 miles and not 5600 miles. Well nobody with a Ferrari is complaining about there tyre use and I have a better car. :biggrin:

I did not get the Dunlop Sportmaxx in time so I had to mount some Cooper at the rear. I am not sure if those are availible anywhere else.

They where and is a little bit slippery. I have not pushed them hard. Some on the track some weeks ago and they where new (248 miles old) and did not provide me with super grip that's for sure.

The TCS is acting up when I power out of corners on second gear. But not a big problem. I did not power it off on the track.

I hope the Dunlop's are better with both grip and TCS. After all I will only be driving with the Cooper's for about 3700 miles more.

Regards

The S.drive is one of many "budget performance summer tires" on the market, summer tires with okay dry grip, very good grip in rain, and reasonably long treadlife. They are designed for folks who are willing to sacrifice some performance (compared with top-of-the-line tires) in order to save a few bucks on purchase price. If you want the best performance for your NSX, get a top-of-the-line tire like the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, etc; tires like the S.drive don't perform as well. And if you do want to get cheaper tires with lower performance, check prices; the Kumho SPT and Fuzion ZRi offer performance virtually identical with the S.drive, at prices that are lower in most sizes.[/quote]

1. The RE050As are stock on my AMG CL55; they lasted 5k miles in the rear with uneven wear. I replaced them with the new Yoko Advan s4s with better results here in NH.
2. My 2003 NSX came with the Fusions. They are not acceptable and the new Yoko S.Drives are much better in every handling dimension. These tires are just not in the same category. I respectfully disagree; the Tire Rack evaluations and tests seem to confirm my choice. They not be A category tires but they are much more advanced than the Fusions.
3. The issue is what do we do in NE where we can go from an 80 degree temp to a 50 degree temp on the same day or if we drive into the mountains or Lakes region. Max Summer tires, esp. of the older generation, just do not work in NE as well as they do in Southern CA or Florida. All the major manufacturers are offering "all-season" versions of their max performance summer tires.
4. All my friends who track (eg Loudon) their street cars of any high performance brand have a separate set of dedicated tires for the track and another set/style for street use.
5. As far as Nexens go I had a set of their H rated SUV tires on my used MB G500 "Panzer" and they were cut by stones on a dirt road in New Brunswick. I was stranded for several hours in the boonies while folks in their Fords sedans just drove by. I would be very leery of buying this brand. They are cheap tires.... I replaced them with Yoko A/S which are recommended by the manufacturer (and TR) for sensible off road use. They handle well on road also.
6. If you press a good Acura dealer they recommend the European alignment setup for road use that does not seem to compromise perfomance - it's an Autobahn setup - for sensible road/track driving with lessened tire wear.

I respect the Tire Rack expertise and those on NSXprime. These are good discussions.

Last edited:
Back