what is your favorite quote?

two wrongs don't make a right.. but three lefts do.
or
quantity has a quality all its own...

Hi

From the old tv series Profit with Jim Profit played by Adrian Pasdar:

" When the smoke clears, and you get right down to it, only three things really matter: your faith, your fortitude, and your family. Good night. "

One of the best:

"Anyone who thinks controlling people is a science is dead wrong. It's an art."

"If you want someone to love you, open your heart. If you want someone to be obsessed with you, close it."

"the key to getting where you want to go is the choices you make. "

"When a crisis hits, the key is, never be afraid to improvise. "

"Well, ya can't expect everyone to like ya, and you can't expect everything to work out exactly the way you plan it... because life is full of surprises-you never really know what's around the next corner. But if you do the best you can, and you give 100%, then you can go to sleep with a clear conscience. What you didn't win today, you can always win tomorrow, and, remember, never lose sight of your goals. Because there are some people who are really worth that extra time and effort. And in the end, I believe, if you work hard enough.... everyone comes around. "

I will not say that I try to live by Jim Profit's "teachings" , but some of them give me spirit to move on when things are looking bad.

And one drunk guy in a bar somewhere said this to a guy that has his own radio show on norwegian radio:

"let's have another drink and see what happens."

And Rutger Hauer: "We got to get bigger guns" in some movie I can't remember the name of.

One quote of Jesse Ventura is already here but I believe he also said:

"If it bleeds it can be killed"

Regards

"do what you need to do, so you can do what you want to do"
Denzel Washington

"left side of road...good
right side of road.. good
middle squish like grape"
Pat Morita - karate kid movie

"work hard, play harder"
mine

" Fishes forget they live in the sea. Men forget they live in the conscious mind "
- Zen

" Art lives in freedom, for if there is no freedom, there is no creativity "
- Bruce Lee

" Maturity is not to be a captive of the conceptualization, but the realization of the inner most self "
- Bruce Lee

" The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement "
- Bruce Lee

" Knowing others is knowledge. Knowing oneself is enlightenment "
- Shakyamuni Buddha

" The way is basically perfect. It doesn't require perfecting "
- Bodhidharma

(and my grand finale)
" No, no different. You have to unlearn what you have learn "
- Jedi Master YODA :biggrin:

Edit: Typo on first quote

Last edited:
Whiners always complain about doing their best, winners go home and f--- the prome queen.
-Sean Connery

I gained some respect for him after I heard this quote...

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.”

By Bruce Lee not sure which Philosphy book he burrowed it from.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.”

By Bruce Lee not sure which Philosphy book he burrowed it from.

That would be from the philosopher J. Krishnamurti,
whose writing played a big influence in Bruce's life,
as well as the teaching of the Buddha.
:cool:

i have three that i like...

"power, reliability and cheap, you can have two, just not all three"

"common sence is not common to everyone"

"paradoxically, the road to riches often means acting as if you already have that freedom"

"This isn't 'Nam, this is bowling, there are rules!!"

"Six bucks says we're not landing in Chicago!"

Yeah... I know. :(

"what me worry" - Alfred E. Newman :tongue:

"The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it."

^^^^ Gordon Gekko - Wall Street

Which brings us to...

"Greed is good"

no fathers and mothers think their own children ugly, and this self-deceit is yet stronger with respect to the offspring of the mind.
cervantes:cool:

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."
-- Julius Caesar

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."
- Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)

"How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself."
- Anais Nin (1903-1977)

apologies for any repeats

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda
...translated to nerdspeak: :D
Code:
$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Adding to some Honda quotes:
<ul><li>The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten. — Sir Henry Royce<br /><br /></li><li>The client is not always right. — Enzo Ferrari<br /><br /></li><li>Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. — Colin Chapman<br /><br /></li></ul>
These are sort of work-related:
<ul><li>Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. — Antoine de Saint-Exupery<br /><br /></li><li>Trying stuff is cheaper than deciding whether to try it. — dmarti on a fundamental rule of the internet<br /><br /></li><li>I can tell more by swinging at balls than having a report handed to me. — Warren Buffet on Charlie Rose (2007.05.28)<br /><br /></li><li>Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. — Aristotle<br /><br /></li><li>Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. — Thomas A. Edison<br /><br /></li></ul>
I like these ones, too:
<ul><li>Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. — Mark Twain<br /><br /></li><li>You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. — Ray Bradbury<br /><br /></li><li>Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. — Martin Luther King, Jr.<br /><br /></li><li>The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. — Martin Luther King, Jr.<br /><br /></li><li>People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people. — V (V for Vendetta)<br /><br /></li><li>When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. — Thomas Jefferson<br /><br /></li><li>A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. — Edward R. Murrow<br /><br /></li><li>Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemies. — Nelson Mandela<br /><br /></li></ul>
And a few more...
<ul><li>Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one. — Malcolm Forbes<br /><br /></li><li>Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? — Douglas Adams<br /><br /></li><li>For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan<br /><br /></li><li>Once you deny reality, the door to any and all evil is wide open. — Phil Plait<br /><br /></li><li>Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. — Carl Sagan<br /><br /></li><li>What I cannot create, I do not understand. — Richard Feynman, On his blackboard at time of death in 1988<br /><br /></li></ul>

Last edited:
a lot of good ones above... Thanks.

I humbly submit a few more, in no particular order:

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been. – Wayne Gretzky

"Victory goes to the player who makes the second-to-last mistake." - Savielly Tartakower

"If everything's under control, you're going too slow." - Mario Andretti

"Well, this is not Mission: Difficult, Mr. Hunt. it's Mission: Impossible.
Difficult should be a walk in the park for you." - Swanbeck (Anthony Hopkins) in M:I-2 (2000)

"Things should be made as simple as possible but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

Perfection is not attained at that point at which nothing can be added, but at that point at which nothing can be taken away. (Antoine de Saint-Exuery – Le Petit Prince)

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." - Confucius

"the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" - Microsoft strategist

"Its only hubris... if I lose" - Julius Caesar

"its never too late to have a happy childhood" - bumper sticker

"the juice is worth the squeeze"

"never assume guile, when stupidity will suffice" - mine (Napoleon said it a tad more eloquently. I prefer mine).

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. " - Napoleon's version

##########

and for all the posers out there

"the older I get, the faster I was" :D

Caution: Professional driver on a closed course. Your mileage may vary.

back again, for thornier times...

young men are apt to think themselves wise enough,
as drunken men are apt to think themselves sober enough.

lord chesterfield

marriage is the only war where one sleeps with the enemy.
anonymous

in the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything,
and two minus one equals nothing.

mignon mclaughlin

Back