What is the Safest belt system for my Recaro Pole Positions with no roll cage

to the OP. Most states do not recognize 4 point harnesses as DOT legal unless they were original equipment. None as far as I know allow 5 or 6 point as legal on the street. Most DE organizations do not allow 4 point harnesses unless they were original equipment. As a matter of fact it gets even sillier as many DE organization require harnesses to be no more than 5 years old for DE but you can use 20 or 40 year old DOT belts if they came in the car originally. Crazy but true.

3 point belts and the air bag are a system and should be used on the street. The give in the 3 point system works in conjunction with the airbag. On the track if you have a 6 point harness the air bag probably won't reach you so in a dedicated track car it is not necessary.

Get the harness for the track and use the 3 point on the street after you get it sorted to work with your seats, or get new seats that work with both, that's what I did.

I use both systems in my DD and track rat 996tt; I don't track my NSX for the same reason's Dave stopped tracking his. The NSX is a great car and not worth risking it on the track.

Just my 2 cents and good luck.

Tytus

Not ideal? Its downright dangerous. If the lap belt can't tighten across your waist the chances of submarining are very high.

That setup actually would not pass technical inspection in the AZ region for NASA.

That being said, get a harness bar that puts the harnesses at shoulder level or ever so slightly below (10 degree downward angle is idea).

I prefer cam-locks with pull down type harnesses...

Brand wise, just pick something thats SFI rated.
Crow is great because they have a very inexpensive re-certification process as they expire.

Just a few starting points! More to come I am sure!

NASA AZ Technical Inspector
NASA AZ Instructor
Driving with NASA AZ since 2002

Not to be facetious as I know you're a sharp guy that takes safety seriously but I'm shocked you recommended a harness bar. Call me a lunatic but harnesses without rollover protection is the absolute worst.

As it was passed down to me, do all (seats/roll protection/harnesses) or do none.

Until I was able to fork over the cash do go full on boy racer I used a CG lock with my stock belts and seats and it did a wonderful job of keeping me pinned to the seat, actually it did a surprisingly awesome job.

Back