What is the Best Clutch?

I would just buy a Comptech PG2 and feel comfortable knowing that I have the best overall clutch available for the NSX in MY NSX if I were you. I have it in my car with a 2001 6-Spd trans, and the combo is GREAT. I raced a Supercharged 1995 Mustang GT the other day on the freeway, and he couldn't pull from me. We were dead even on acceleration from 80 to about 140, he then let off and I continued up to about 160 before letting off. I thought he was going to SMOKE me, but I guess not...:confused:
<BR>
BTW, The Comptech PG2 Clutch comes with the Comptech Aluminum Lightened Flywheel. Good Stuff Man...

Last edited:
I'm really happy with my Comptech PG II clutch-- a lot more agressive feeling than OEM. It's fine for street driving provided you don't have to deal with an excessive amount of stop and go traffic on a regular basis.

Powered by Honda: I find the PG 2 pedal to be about twice as heavy feeling as the stock clutch, though not so heavy as to be objectionable. I heard the PG 1 requires significantly less pedal effort than PG 2, but I have never driven one.

Last edited:
Just wondering for the sake of wondering...

which feels most like a Ferrari clutch? Best way I can describe it is that pedal is heavy in comparison to my 97...and engagement is well put it this way, you really dont need to give her any gas to get launched on a smooth surface.

Whether is smoother....hmm...well its easier to launch without reving the engine very much and much harder to stall out. Any drivers with experiance behind the wheel would know what I mean.

From my experience of having a PG1 in my NSX before I put in the 6-Spd with the PG2, I would NOT buy that clutch. The pressure plate I believe is the same as the PG2 and it looked great after taking off my 5-Spd trans during the trans & clutch swap. However, the disc was a different story. It looked fine, EXCEPT for the fact that all the springs were loose and looked to be on the verge of causing some carnage if it the disc wasn't replaced. Soon. Instead of buying a new disc from Comptech (which BTW they will NOT just sell you a Comptech clutch disc alone) I just got a PG2 clutch setup and sold the remaining pieces of my PG1. Other than that LITTLE problem, the PG1 disc looked BRAND NEW after 5000 miles. All I can say is the PG1 doesn't seem to be as "bulletproof" as the PG2. Save time & $$$$ and just go straight to the PG2. I really didn't notice a big difference in the pedal feel from the PG1 to the PG2.

X-TNSIV let me drive his PG2 equipped TT NSX. It wasn't bad AT ALL. I loved it. It's definitely the clutch I'll be getting. Getting back in my car sucked. It feels so fragile compared to it.

However, I can see how it would be a pain during stop and go traffic.

If you have the money to spend you should get the tilton carbon- carbon. It is around $4000, but you will probably not have to change it again.

DPG said:
If you have the money to spend you should get the tilton carbon- carbon. It is around $4000, but you will probably not have to change it again.

Holy cow! $4k!!

Anyway, I just researched this brand a bit.

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tiltripcarcl.html

It appears this clutch is used for high horsepower applications. I do like the fact they say it is extremly light and durable though. Then again...for $4k it should be.

Thanks for the heads up.

YellOhNSX said:
NSXLOVER where did you get your clutch installed? I am looking at a $1000 where I checked.

I would not get a clutch installed anywhere except a place with a lot of experience servicing NSXs. In Las Vegas, that means either Factor X or the dealer (Falconi's). And I wouldn't want to go out of town for it, in case there are any problems or adjustments needed afterwards.

$1000 sounds reasonable.

rebuilt clutches

Sorry to jump on this bandwagon a bit late - but I'm wondering .... the ACT clutch (which seems to be pretty well received on this thread) is rebuilt, yes? I'm clueless here but looking to replace my clutch with something smooth & light like oem with the grip to handle a few extra hp. Aren't rebuilt clutches more prone to breakdown and less reliable?
thanks,
krista

Back