What is the Best Clutch?

I was in the market for a new clutch for my '91 NSX. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what is the best clutch for the NSX. Also is a lighten fly wheel will be worth it. Basically I will be driving the car on the street most of the time but I want a good clutch for track days. Which I was only planning to do no more than 4 times a year. So I won't really need a pure racing clutch. But street performance clutch would be cool. I was looking into getting:
ACT
DALI
EXEDY
or
Centerforce

Has anyone tried these clutches and what are your oppinion on them? Also which one is worth the money? any help will be great.

I do not know if it is the best clutch but I am very happy with my 1997+ factory clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. I would recommend it if you want a nice smooth clutch with no chatter.

The EXEDY clutch is HEAVY and engages VERY fast... I would not recommend it at all for street driving.. My friend had one and he sold it after owning it a few months...

If NSXTASY were around he'd agree with me that OEM is the best if you're not running FI.

I agree with everyone that's posted so far, I've driven the Exedy and it was far too stiff for a street car. The Dali clutch, IIRC, is a Centerforce clutch. I have driven my Mom's car with the Dali, and the lightened flywheel, and I like it - however, a lightweight flywheel is a judgement call - it's not necessarily better, just different.

If, when you are rev matching while shifting, you find yourself waiting for the revs to catch up/slow down so you can engage the clutch, than a lightweight flywheel is a nice addition. If you shift at the speed that the engine changes RPM, stick with stock, IMO. The performance differences are minimal, but not worth it if it's at odds with your driving style.

Also, I don't notice any difference in clutch pressure or engagement zone between the Centerforce and the stock clutch; if anything, the Centerforce is slightly softer than the stock clutch. If I had to pick between Centerforce and stock, I would pick Centerforce. Just my .02.

I have tried several (and now own a) aftermarket clutches and for *most* people - OEM is still the best in terms of:

- smooth engagement
- noise at idle
- good performance

There is very little difference between the aftermarket and OEM at the track - unless the track for you has a water pit and goes for about 1/4 mile in a straight line!

Wow I am probably thinking about OEM or Centerforce... But oem is getting more props. Maybe I will head towards that direction. I just thought that Aftermarket would be that much better. I guess Honda already has a good thing going. Thanks everyone for your help.

i have the ACT clutch and i absolutely love it.
there is no chatter in any gear.
requires slightly more pedal effort but feels like it has a firm grip on the flywheel once it is engaged.
i don't feel like i'm going to tear the clutch apart anymore if i launch the car in first gear.
it's a great choice for the "performance minded" driver.
-----
ok old guys with weak legs... flame away!! :D

The Dali clutch, IIRC, is a Centerforce clutch. I have driven my Mom's car with the Dali, and the lightened flywheel, and I like it - however, a lightweight flywheel is a judgement call - it's not necessarily better, just different.

Does Dali still sell the centerforce clutch? I though he was selling the ACT clutch now.

I also have an ACT and love it. I don't think the clutch pedal is much heavier. It does grab alot quicker though. I paid $1500 for the clutch and $400 to have it installed. Are you planning on doing any mods on the car?

Rob

After my OEM wore out, I tried the Exedy for awhile. I must say, I was absolutely miserable with it. I started to hate driving my car. Not to say that it didn't function well as a race clutch. It grabbed hard, but the chatter was annoying as hell and it was just overall uncomfortable to use for street driving. I have since had a Centerforce installed, and thankfully, am back in love with my car. :) Peddle pressure is light and it grips well with no chatter whatsoever.

Darkcyd said:
After my OEM wore out, I tried the Exedy for awhile. I must say, I was absolutely miserable with it. I started to hate driving my car. Not to say that it didn't function well as a race clutch. It grabbed hard, but the chatter was annoying as hell and it was just overall uncomfortable to use for street driving. I have since had a Centerforce installed, and thankfully, am back in love with my car. :) Peddle pressure is light and it grips well with no chatter whatsoever.

How does the Centerforce feel different from the stock clutch? Will the Centerforce last longer?

Thanks

What is the price difference between the Centerforce and the OEM clutch for a 93? Anyone know?

I am definitely planning to add other mods to my car. But my clutch is wearing thin so I need to get something in there now. But the whole thing is not to sacrafice the driveability that I am used to now. Exedy sounds too extreme for me. So that is out. ACT doesn't sound too bad. I've used act before in my other car and I like it. So If I do decide to go with ACT it won't be a dissappointment. But Centerforce and OEM is something I need to decide at this point. NSXLOVER where did you get your clutch installed? I am looking at a $1000 where I checked.

NetViper said:
What is the price difference between the Centerforce and the OEM clutch for a 93? Anyone know?

I believe the stock clutch can be had for $1075 which includes the pilot and throw out bearing from Nielo sp?.

Since Chris reduced his price on the Centerforce it is now a pretty good deal. The two bearing can be purchased from Dali for $134 which includes shipping. Dali also has a very good deal on his ACT clutches his prices include the two bearings you will need.

Last edited:
i am very happy with the comptech powergrip ll. after driving my 97 with the comptech, it made my 92 with the oem clutch feel like mush. it can be a bit tiring if stuck in traffic for extended periods but activates smoothly and feels very solid even when engaged at higher rpms.

nsxxtreme said:
I believe the stock clutch can be had for $1075 which includes the pilot and through out bearing from Nielo sp?.

Since Chris reduced his price on the Centerforce it is now a pretty good deal. The two bearing can be purchased from Dali for $134 which includes shipping. Dali also has a very good deal on his ACT clutches his prices include the two bearings you will need.

Link to SoS clutch comparison

optimist said:

Nice comparison but somewhat biased. If you have a NSXCA mebership the stock clutch is by far cheaper than the price listed. What is also not included in that comparison is the cost of the pilot and throw-out bearings. Dali's ACT clutch should also not be over looked when shopping for a new clutch. His prices do include both bearings. I think there is a review of each clutch here on Prime in the FAQ.

If the EXEDY is medium to low.. i would HATE to see what high is. It is HEAVY. If you drive on the street, you will not be happy with it.

Back