What else dethroned the S2000 for most N/A HP/liter?

The car needs to be California emission, safety legal, mass produced and unmodified.

So far the only one that comes to my mind is the 570HP F458 with 4.5 liters.

Did VTEC's patent run out and all these high HP/liter cars start flying outta the woods?

Even Ford's V6 and V8 mustang give some respectable HP/liter too.

Mazda RX-8.
247HP out of 1.3 liters (190hp/liter).

Last edited:
Honda's VTEC is relatively simple compared to what a lot of sports cars (or luxury cars) use today so they definitely were not waiting on patents to expire. Besides, variable valve timing was introduced before Honda ever put it in a production car, though they are probably the first to mass-apply such a concept (successfully).

The highest specific output from a normally aspirated motor in a production vehicle is in the Caterham R500 which uses a Ford 2.0L Duratec motor pumping out 263hp (131.5 hp/L).

This topic has been covered before by tons of threads in other forums.

I think a better topic would be who had the LEAST HP per liter? :biggrin:

134hp from a 0.7L engine - that's 191hp/L

FEV_EDE.png

Ugh guys!!! You totally fell for it again. Hook, line and sinker! :frown:

fishing.jpg

It's BATMANs. Do you think he would even try to post something that would remotely compliment an NSX or a product made by the same company??? :rolleyes:

Of course not! Every post is a thinly veiled attempt to somehow make light of some aspect of some car he's jizz happy about like the RX-7 or GTO. You have to remember to look for the angle in his posts. :biggrin::tongue:

He's asking this question because the S2000 get's all the props for one of the highest HP/L engines built. However, he's only waiting his time to drop the fact that the 2nd Generation RX-7 had a natural aspirated 1.3L engine with produced 160 HP for a HP/L ratio of 123 HP/L and was produced even BEFORE the NSX.

:wink::biggrin:

Last edited:
The S2000 dethrone my car as the highest HP/Liter

1992 -1995 Porsche 968

236HP/ 3.0 Liter

78.67 HP/Liter (Stock)

My car is still NA and closer to 283HP/3.0 Liter

94.33 HP/Liter

Last edited:
Well, that's simply not fair comparing the superior HP/liter of a rotating mass engine to engines that loose HP from powering springs and converting linear energy to rotating etc..... :biggrin:

Don't they technically measure any rotary as its listed engine size times the number of rotors it has? (1.3 x 2 rotors = 2.6L?) I just remember the Renesis winning International Engine of the Year but in the 2.5L-3.0L class because they technically classified it as a 2.6L.

That being said, because of its unique design and in putting it on the same playing field, wouldn't that put it @ 91hp/liter? (237bhp 2.6L)

Anywho, I think you're right in that the S2000's 120hp/liter wasn't broken until the 458 Italia.

Don't they technically measure any rotary as its listed engine size times the number of rotors it has? (1.3 x 2 rotors = 2.6L?) I just remember the Renesis winning International Engine of the Year but in the 2.5L-3.0L class because they technically classified it as a 2.6L.

That being said, because of its unique design and in putting it on the same playing field, wouldn't that put it @ 91hp/liter? (237bhp 2.6L)

Anywho, I think you're right in that the S2000's 120hp/liter wasn't broken until the 458 Italia.

Did you read my post?

...... However, he's only waiting his time to drop the fact that the 2nd Generation RX-7 had a natural aspirated 1.3L engine with produced 160 HP for a HP/L ratio of 123 HP/L and was produced even BEFORE the NSX.

:wink::biggrin:

No, I wasn't even thinking about Wankel engines.

And yes, my first sports car was a FC.

86fc03.JPG

Back