• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you or would you drive for family?

A NSX! I would put my kids in the trunk j/k. I heard that a NSX has "a car seat area". Is this true?
Yes, this is true. In the old days it was called the "rumble seat". The NSX is one of the few modern cars with this feature, and it makes it a great family car!

That's cuz it's the ugliest vehicle currently in production! :eek:

It's a minivan... I dunno that I'd call it uglier than any other minivan out there... or better looking. I mean how much can you do to make a minivan look sexy? The wife wanted it in black as she felt it somewhat reduced the minivan-ness of it. Just picked it up today and so far I really like it.

Thread is useless without pics.

OK, I'm a ho...

TheBeast.jpg

DSC_1313.jpg

Yes, this is true. In the old days it was called the "rumble seat". The NSX is one of the few modern cars with this feature, and it makes it a great family car!

I would love to see a photo of how this "rumble seat" is setup. I look at that area in the middle and I dont see how it can work out.

A NSX! I would put my kids in the trunk j/k. I heard that a NSX has "a car seat area". Is this true? I always joke around with my girlfriend about it. I swear I read about this somewhere. I guess its in between the two seats? I would have to buy somekind of super small car seat if so. Also, have a very small child.

Yes, you open up the center console and use the correct incantation, it will pop up :).

Actually, there is place for a child restraint/seat hook. The manual has instructions on how to locate it (behind the pass seat), how to cut the hole, screw the adapter in and the torque specs. Does anyone actually use it ?

I would love to see a photo of how this "rumble seat" is setup. I look at that area in the middle and I dont see how it can work out.

I had to look this up, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_seat. I would be very surprised if this was not uttered in jest. Imagine the rumble seat location and sudden braking. Crotch meet metal stick. :eek:

Although, I think that you can maybe make a small kid stand behind the passenger seat if it was pushed far enough forward. A grumble stand ?

does it have to be a suv. I would shoot for a denali or if it could be a car the IS-F. Cant go wrong with a 500 hp grocery getter ;)

1291908214-clip-49kb.jpg

Couldn't find a good picture of the RL :). Thankfully it emerged from this with only a couple of dings. The Bronco next to me took the brunt of it.
1291909002-clip-44kb.jpg

1291909080-clip-45kb.jpg

I have a Silverado 2500HD CrewCab that we use for the family wagon in town and we use it to tow our 5th wheel and ski boat (Not at the same time). I only average 11 MPGs but we don't commute with it. We traded our Pilot for a 350Z since my kids are driving their own cars now. When we need our family of 5 to go long distances we make the kids drive their toyota camry and I give them gas money. :biggrin:

I am through with owning SUVs. The depreciation is terrible on all of them. At least with the trucks they seem to hold their re-sale value pretty well.

I drive Civic Si and absolutely love it.
Just traded in wife's 06 Odyssey minivan on 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track pack 6spd.
I had no problem driving her van when she had it but she grew tired of the size and perception of it so we got her into current car.

My wife drive a 2008 Altima and I drive a 2010 Nissan Murano on a regular basis, I absolutely love it. I actually picked it OVER the Infiniti FX35. Although the Inifiniti looked better, I did not like the upgraded features for driving and it lacked a couple features that the Murano has that I really wanted (i.e. automatic rear seats vs manual).

The Altima has about 2 years to go, then I plan to pass the Murano over to here and flip to a BMW 3 or 5 series. NSX will still remain as a weekend toy. :)

does it have to be a suv. I would shoot for a denali or if it could be a car the IS-F. Cant go wrong with a 500 hp grocery getter ;)

Cayenne TT-S = 550hp, 550tq
Groceries, trade show displays, big screen TV's all up to 172MPH.
Dominant in the snow with AWD and 6,000lbs of heavy mëtal.

I currently drive an Audi S4. But I think the ultimate Grocery getter would be the RS4 my father has one and it's an amazing all round car.

Anyone drive Mercedes sedans? I was thinking about a S500 It seems the resale is bad and offers some pretty sweet deals used.......Anyone own one, please chime in.:smile:

Re: need for AWD in N. Texas?

Personally speaking, I'm in awe of the new(er) Acura MDX [2nd gen' 2007+ models]. Lots of cabin space, great storage, good seating for 8, and many high-tech' features/equipment. Not to mention it's hella' fun to drive, considering it's an S.U.V.! Also, the styling isn't as polarizing as other current/late-model Acura vehicles.

I drove a buddies 2008 MDX w/tech Package and I totally concur with these statements. Awesome truckster, and actually a lot of fun to drive.

'05 Cayenne TT-S work truck for me
'05 VW Phaeton for mama
Both AWD, both air ride suspension for raise/lower when needed, both built like tanks, both KILLED by depreciation before purchase used. 1/3 cost on both off retail and both still under CPO warranties.
Phaeton has more rear seat room than A8L (for the kiddies), trunk big enough for ten bodies, hand built, INCREDIBLE innovative car. As incredible in it's class as the NSX is in its.
Flame suit on...

Why the flame suit? I totally agree with each and every statement you made. Very wise to purchase both of those vehicles used as you did-so much car for your dollars.

bravo sir.

bravo.

P

Last edited:
No Mercedes drivers out there? Looking at 2005 -2008 S500:cool:

I don't have a family of my own to lug around but my 2005 Acura RL had no problem transporting both my parents and sister to my other sister's wedding. It's been pretty reliable since I got it last year.

P3020024.jpg

Note for you other RL owners. Apparently there is a recall on the brake master cylinder. I just learned about it yesterday when I was doing my oil change. You guys might want to get that done if you haven't done so already.

Lots of interesting options.

But a word of advice from a long-time Honda owner and booster...If you love to drive and are thinking about a cross-over/SUV, don't sign anything until you test drive a Mazda CX7 or CX9 (depending on seating needs). They won't impress the neighbors and they won't get you parked at the front door of your favorite restaurant, but they will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel or stop for gas or make a payment or go yet another year with zero unscheduled maintenance stops.

With 3 kids aged 10-4, nothing beats this for space, comfort and ease of entry/exit for the little one...

3902512892_fb8f50fb2b_z.jpg

Of course, now that he's 4 I will probably replace it with a Pilot or Flex in the next year or two, but still having three boys, seating for 7+ is a must, especially as they grow larger.

1993 BMW E34 M5
M5_Right1.jpg
A comfortable cruising sedan that can still dance. Old technology but solid: steel body, cast iron block, fixed cam timing, six ITB's and 7kRPM redline.
M5_engine_right.jpg
Twenty years of depreciation reduced the price considerably.

Last edited:
RobR....
Did you get the Touring Elite? Looks sharp. We truely hated minivans for the longest time,but finally caved in. Loving the mini.
BTW...I think its the best looking minivan out there.

We have the Touring. Lease is up in December, wife doesn't want another minivan. I haven't looked at this thread in a while, but funny that Midnight Raven bought the same car I have, in the same color in the same state. Mine is up for sale, thinking of replacing it with an E46 M3.

RobR....
Did you get the Touring Elite? Looks sharp. We truely hated minivans for the longest time,but finally caved in. Loving the mini.
BTW...I think its the best looking minivan out there.

Back