What do you guys think about cryo treating your brake rotors??

I know eventually I'm going to have to tackle my brake system with new rotors, pads and fluid and was looking at the centric rotors that SOS sells and noticed that they have an option to have the rotors cryo treated to better handle the heat of a few track sessions without warping.

I have had the cryo treatment done before when I had my z32 300zx years ago that had issues with rotors that would warp and shimmy constantly. After I cryo treated the rotors I never really had issues with them on the 300zx again. I never tracked that car just street and canyon driving.

So since I have only had my car for about a year now I was curious how the centric rotors hold up to maybe a few track day sessions a year and regular spirited driving without cryo treating the rotors??

Thx for the feedback!

You know my opinion. :) I track my NSX and have never had a warping issue with the Centric blanks. But, some people swear by cryo.

I know and I'm leaning towards not having them cryo treated partly based on your experience with them. I just wanted to see how many guys chime in who have had the cryo treatment done and what they have to say about the process for the NSX??

Between all of the cars and trucks that I've had in the past 10 years I've warped every rotor from all of the downhill hard braking.

They were aftermarket ones off various brands, including Centric rotors.

Until I heard, read about and finally gone with the Cryo treated rotors and just loved them. The NSX will get Cryo rotors after these aftermarket set are worn out.

I also couple them with EBC yellow pads, SS braided brake lines and DOT 4 Amsoil brake fluid.

Never felt like I needed a BBK upgrade.

Cool, thanks for the feedback on that. Do you feel that SS braided brake lines help with pedal feel? Or what would be the main purpose of running those?

Interesting read thanks for the link, so according to that article there is not really a warped rotor when you feel vibration in the steering wheel, but uneven deposits of brake pad material on the rotor hmmm....Thx

Cool, thanks for the feedback on that. Do you feel that SS braided brake lines help with pedal feel? Or what would be the main purpose of running those?

SS lines totally helped improve brake feel where engagement is more solid feeling. That mushy feeling is eliminated.

Cool, thanks for the feedback on that. Do you feel that SS braided brake lines help with pedal feel?
No. I never, ever thought that the brakes in my NSX had a mushy feel, which is the only reason for getting stainless brake lines. The claim is that rubber brake lines expand after a while, but I never experienced that on my NSX, even after all the track miles. (I replaced the brake lines on my NSX with stock ones after 12,500 actual track miles - 75K total - as a preventive measure.) Do your brakes feel mushy? I doubt it.

Or what would be the main purpose of running those?
For the bling bling. :)

Of course, some people will convince themselves that they are an improvement, to try to justify wasting their money on them. Try comparing back to back with an NSX without them and you won't see any difference.

No mine don't feel mushy, just trying to get a feeler out there about who runs the cryo treated rotors, and whether or not they are cross drilled or slotted, and if the stainless steel lines make a difference in pedal feel. Apparently some say they get a better solid feeling pedal and others like yourself say you don't see any difference. Kind of a toss up I guess:wink:

What do you guys think of cross drilled rotors -vs- slotted rotors -vs- plain old regular rotors?? Any discernible differences you can share with your experiences with the NSX?

Thx

What do you guys think of cross drilled rotors -vs- slotted rotors -vs- plain old regular rotors?? Any discernible differences you can share with your experiences with the NSX?
I've used several sets of all three kinds on my heavily-tracked NSX. There were no differences between the three kinds in braking performance, and no differences in the lifespan of the rotors, measured in track miles. Some people claim that the holes in the cross-drilled rotors cause them to crack easily, but experience showed that all three types eventually cracked in the same way (in the radial direction) and no one type did so sooner than any other type.

The one type of rotor that lasted longer and thus was more resistant to cracking was two-piece rotors, in which there is an outer ring and an inner "hat", attached with hardware that allows the outer ring to expand with heat. Those lasted about twice as many track miles as one-piece rotors did. However, they're also a lot more expensive.

Ok sounds like your experience with crossed drilled and slotted rotors on the track gave you no advantage over regular rotors and seems like they might be for looks as opposed to functionality. Thanks appreciate your feedback

My last two sets have been Cryo treated and slotted but that's how they come, are they better they did seem to handle the abuse a bit more but my technique has probably improved as well also better pads so less deposits being built up as I did experience that a few years ago and got that dreaded shudder and thought i had warped the rotors. So if you had a choice it definitely cannot hurt to get them Cryoed.

Back