What do you guys think about a Merc C230 Sedan?

I'm looking to purchae one for my wife. 2003+ with <25k miles. Reviews are mixed. Plan to hold it for at least 3 or for year, 30k+ additional miles.

I'm primarily concerned about reliability issues and whether a 2-3 grand warranty program extension is worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I looked at these before I bought my wife the E320. They are A LOT smaller than the E. The interior is pretty cramped, and really can only fit kids in the back seat comfortably. They are not bad cars though. As ALL makes, they do have their problems though, so I would def get a warranty. If you're getting a GREAT deal on it... then by all means, take it. But, if you're just brousing for one, then maybe think about something a little bigger for long term.

I'm primarily concerned about reliability issues and whether a 2-3 grand warranty program extension is worth it.

Worth every penny. You will be using it. I am not bashing the car. I know from experience. Plus if you sell the car it can transfer and that adds value to the car. The biggest issue with used MB's is repair costs.

You better go ask your dealer who to go with. Every dealer likes certain companies and hates others. You may think you are making a wise decision until the dealer says "sorry we don't accept that". Check with them first. Of course the factory CPO (what used to be called Starmark) is the best and most expensive. It transfers. Or find a used CPO car to begin with. But be careful, with MB unlike others, CPO transfers ONLY between MB dealers, and individuals. If a car is CPO and it goes to a used car dealer, or a non-MB new car dealer, it is VOID. I know this for fact, do not let any used car place tell you otherwise.

I'm looking to purchae one for my wife. 2003+ with <25k miles. Reviews are mixed. Plan to hold it for at least 3 or for year, 30k+ additional miles.

How much are you paying for the 2003+ C? My local dealer here is selling the current C230 Sport for $29k out the door. They just want to get rid of the current model for the new C by the end of this year.

I have a friend who can get wholesale.. right now we are looking at about $22k for a 2003/2004 with < 24K miles. I think that price is pretty good, though with 2-3, 4K? in warranty purchase, it will brintg up the price.

Thanks for the tips on the warranties, I will look into those.
Prime, if this is off-topic, please move..

If you are still looking for a C-class, I work for Mercedes-Benz of Lynnwood, WA. Send me a private e-mail if you are interested in any type of Mercedes. We currently have 5 Pre-owned C-classes and several E-class vehicles as well. Let me know.

Back