• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do NSX drivers carry for a spare tire?

The tire on my spare is cracked. I would love to carry a great spare tire. Can you purchase a new tire that fits the spare rim? What do most do for a spare tire.
No matter how new your tires are you can still get a flat. If I’m local there are options. On a longer trip to coast or mountains I am concerned about options. I carry a very good tire inflator but that may not always work.Years ago someone mentioned carrying a can of Fix A Flat. I carry one but not convinced that would always do the job.

Thanks Joe
93 NSX

Fix-a-flat, mobile phone, and a credit card (and optionally a AAA card) will solve most tire problems. If you think you'll need to repair a puncture yourself, you can carry a kit like this (although it can be hard to use on sportscar rear tires): Western Weld Professional 65 Piece Flat Tire Repair Kit. And if you're really concerned, you can carry a full-size front wheel/tire in the trunk -- it'll fit on the rear well enough to get you to the next town.

There are companies that sell new spare wheel/tire assemblies -- either for cars that didn't come with a spare or as replacements for out-of-production old spares. EZ Spare Wheel is one that I know, and I see there's another company called Modern Spare that looks vaguely promising.

I appreciate those ideas. Will definitely add flat tire repair kit and a fresh can of fix a flat. I always figured locally I would use AAA or have a tow truck take it to a tire shop.

I have been encouraging my grandson to use the NSX on some trips to Bend in central Oregon. Biggest concern there is at times you are 50 miles from a shop going through the mountains. He could handle repairing a tire with the things you have mentioned.
Thanks Joe

He could handle repairing a tire with the things you have mentioned.

A pair of pliers is a helpful addition to the tire-repair kit. Makes it easier/possible to remove the object that punctured the tire.

Also, lack of access to the rear tires can make repairs very difficult unless the wheel is first removed from the car. So make sure that whatever jack you put in the trunk is low enough to reach the lift points even with one rear tire completely flat.

Last edited:
I find a pair of side wire cutters is most helpful.

It allows one to dig in deep around the puncture object and pry it out with a fulcrum.

Bonus: cuts the tire plug flush, though not really required as it will wear smooth soon enough.

I've also used side cutters to strip wires in the field to bypass switches and jump relays.

The NSX trunk tool kit just has a standard sub-standard screwdriver. The JDM ones have a full kit.

Last edited:
I'm still carrying the original 1992 spare. Is there any chance it could be usable?

Depends on what you mean by "usable". You can drive slowly for a few miles on basically any tire that holds air.

My 1994 spare looks brand-new; I'd expect it to work fine in an emergency,

Depends on what you mean by "usable". You can drive slowly for a few miles on basically any tire that holds air.

My 1994 spare looks brand-new; I'd expect it to work fine in an emergency,
Mine looks new too. I've never tried putting air in it. I carry a can of "fix a flat" in all my cars too.

a 30 yo rubber tire is a crap shoot, it may hold air, but may never collapse back down for proper re storage.

The AAA / CAA / phone a tow truck option is viable when you confine yourself to urban environments. If you venture significantly outside of urban areas, my father-in-law discovered that he ended up with a 4 hour wait for the tow truck when he decided to exercise his CAA membership privileges. Where I live, if you want to drive on a road that has corners that means you are using secondary roads and break down response times are pretty long. If at all possible I prefer the be prepared / self sufficient option.

Every year I clean off and re spray my spare with silicone lube in the hope that it extends the life of the rubber. I know the silicone is bad for traction; but, I am not going to be trying anything heroic if I ever have to run the spare. One of these days I may have to pump it up to confirm that it holds air and that I haven't been deluding myself for the last 10 years that I have a sort of working spare. My big fear is that, as docjohn notes, it might hold air; but, then not collapse back to the folded condition in which case I have lost my spare tire option. Pumping it up would also be an opportunity to confirm that the air compressor still works.

One of those tire plug kits might be some useful additional insurance.

Every year I clean off and re spray my spare with silicone lube in the hope that it extends the life of the rubber. I know the silicone is bad for traction; but, I am not going to be trying anything heroic
I spray my spare with 303 once and awhile, although it has been out of the car for several years now. I don't go far from home much. I also need to run my compressor again, probably haven't done that since taking the spare tire out...

If you venture significantly outside of urban areas .... break down response times are pretty long. If at all possible I prefer the be prepared / self sufficient option.

Yeah, for sure. But even if you can mount and inflate your own spare (and make room in the trunk for your removed wheel+tire) in 15 minutes, do you really save any time vs relaxing in your disabled car for 4 hours while you wait for a tow truck?

I mean, these cars need oddball tire sizes -- it's not like a 225/65-17 will fit. So no matter how quickly you get to the next town, you'll have a significant wait there -- maybe days -- for a replacement tire to be delivered.

The tire plug kits are a good option for a roadside repair. Only thing you'd need is some type of inflator (and they make inflators these days that can fit in your glovebox). Here's a video i did for the tire plugs--they're quite easy to use and hold up very well.

As an old guy myself, I'm with Old Guy: be prepared to go it alone. Though most likely you'll help someone else.

I lived in Malibu with spotty cell coverage. And now in NZ with similar coverage outside of the metro.

Plenty of skeletons get recovered after fires expose wrecks that rolled down the ravines. Not that a tire repair kit will save you from such a situation, but it will keep you from an all night hike to somewhere with a cell signal.

One of my first traffic calls was some guy on a 1G phone directing in the NightSun to his off road launch landing to the bottom of Rocky Peak or Santa Susana Pass. So cell phones are handy, but they are not 100% even today. One guy went off the road maybe 30m from where I lived and we found him a few months later. The only sign was a single tire mark and some broken bushes by the shoulder. I had no cell service where I lived and it was on a main road too.

The NSX rear tire can be plugged from the back side, just gotta roll forward for the small aperture between the street and the rear valence.

Original NSXCB post:
Which can précised into - get C-class/SLK folding spare, drill to 4.5” PCD and use 10mm spacer.

The community then found the folding tyre can be persuaded to be removed: http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9109-spare-tyre
so the précis changed to - get Merc folding spare, demount tyres and refit to Merc tyre to Honda wheel.

I had seen that thread. It works as long as you can find a tire shop that is willing to do the tire swap.

Not sure if this applies to AAA but I've been denied by CAA a few times for having a modified car that is lower than stock. At my height the factory scissor jack can't fit unless I'm up on a 2x4. I usually have a cigarette lighter powered tire inflater, flat repair kit and commonly used tools in a little bag in the trunk. My spare is cracked to hell and I'd never trust it so I've removed it from the car since I've owned it.

I also experienced the same thing with AAA in the past when my Integra stalled out and wouldn't fire back up. I requested a flatbed, the guy who showed up said they technically aren't allowed to pick up modified/lowered cars. I think its up to the tow truck drivers discretion. I have no idea what I'm going to do if i ever get a flat with the NSX. Like you, I need to drive up on a 2x4 just to get a jack underneath to the jack points.

I used AAA just this past February and the driver didn't give me any issues. I always request a flatbed "because the car is low" as well. But yeah, it's probably up to each driver's discretion. Most driver's i run into are car guys and are happy to help out a fellow car guy in need, and most always have blocks of wood to help out. But undoubtedly you will get those that are having a rough day or maybe they're just sick of dealing with stupid low cars.

It may even be worth it to call around and find independent tow companies that specialize in low cars and keep their contact info for emergencies or times when AAA denies you.

Lastly, and this may not apply to you if you normally drive exceptionally long distances and are far from home, but it maybe worth it for you to keep a spare tire at home and have someone deliver it to you on the side of the road as a final alternative if no tow truck is available. I've always had a second set of wheels to use (and if i didn't, i would just buy a dedicated spare tire). I can open my garage via phone app, so I know i can just call a friend (if my wife isn't available) to deliver my spare wheel to me.

> so I know i can just call a friend (if my wife isn't available) to deliver my spare wheel to me.

That seems to be my job and destiny.

It is an epic curse to be useful. People don't even believe me when I can't be.

There tends to be very little help for the Helpers.*

*Edit: I think this is because the bar is so high to actually provide meaningful help to those that help themselves as well as others.

Last edited:
Back