• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What areas need PPF

Cars going in the shop Monday for PPF. I’m definitely doing full front. Wondering what other areas I should do. Anyone with some mileage that can recommend areas that tend to get abused?

My experience with PPF is that it's best to do either all of the car or none of the car (or just a few tiny areas like behind the wheels, front bumper, etc).

With none of the car covered, the paint looks great and you can buy tons of touchup with the money you saved.

With all of the car covered, the paint looks a little dull but you never need to worry about it (so long as you remove the PPF every 5 years or so) and can lean on the car, park it under trees, let it be washed by any kid with a bucket and a dirty rag, etc.

But if you have large areas covered and large areas uncovered, it's the worst of both worlds: The covered areas will look a little different from the uncovered -- and the difference will increase over time -- and it'll be expensive, but you'll still have to baby the car because of all the uncovered paint.

Entire car. No question. If well done, will be very difficult for anyone to tell that the car has been PPF'd. Partials will always be visible. Not to mention the protection aspect. In my other car, it has saved me several times from paintwork.

Entire car. No question. If well done, will be very difficult for anyone to tell that the car has been PPF'd. Partials will always be visible. Not to mention the protection aspect. In my other car, it has saved me several times from paintwork.

I did my whole car when I bought it new. The moment I left the detail shop, literally a mile down the road, a rock kicked up and nicked the fender. PPF saved the day, otherwise I would have had a nice rock chip in a really obvious spot. I've had my car next to a non PPF'd example, no way to even know my car was done. After 2 years of so, needs a little touch on some edges but I'm so glad I did it.

@fastfwd said it best. After doing a previous car in partial, it's an all or nothing affair.

I have young kids now and they love helping with the cars; As the stewards of the next gear head generation we should encourage it - For me, PPF gives some additional piece of mind in addition to the previously aforementioned benefits.

Full here plan to spend 5-7k, and choose the installer wisely

Careful if youve got resprayed areas. PPF can lift aftermarket paint off when removed. Several friends have had this occur.
PPF can lift factory paint, too. The risk starts to really increase if you leave it on the car for more than 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
Back