What are some common problems of owning an NSX?

the only *electrical* issues i have had were with the bose amps, a/c climate control and the factory oem alarm.

edit: and the ignition switch :)

No electrical problems for me. The only problem I have that seems common to lots of other NSXs is my drivers side window rolls up slowly.

Window lifts, transmission, intermitted electrical gremlins, coolant hoses, cracked sun visors, cracked interior trim pieces, worn heel pattern in carpet, air cond, compressor, climate control, speaker amps, roof liner creaks/noises.
Radio crackling

If you're looking to buy a car with problems, I highly suggest a Maserati or Lamborghini. My father sold his NSX because the car never gave him problems and never left him stuck on the side of the road.

DocL said:
If you're looking to buy a car with problems, I highly suggest a Maserati or Lamborghini. My father sold his NSX because the car never gave him problems and never left him stuck on the side of the road.

LOL.... :D

spending excessive time on nsxprime due to withdrawal symptoms.

Speeding
Destroying rear tires
Forgetting to use the brakes when entering corners in other vehicles
Excessive time spent washing, polishing, waxing buffing
Paranoia when parking

Oh and forgetting I own other vehicles to drive around because it's just so eaaaasy to hop in the NSX.

KooLaid said:
Forgetting to use the brakes when entering corners in other vehicles

This one happens to me a lot.

An early model NSX is now getting to be 15+ years old. As such, things are going to start to go wrong and remember the original NSX carried a $60,000 MSRP. As such, fixing things is more expensive than fixing a 15-year old Corolla.

Overall, these cars are extremley well built. And much cheaper to maintain than anything remotely comparable (then and now).

"Common" if you can call it that, are normally limited to stereo problems, window regulator problems and A/C problems. Each is very well documented on this site.

As others have said, if you're contemplating purchasing an NSX do your homework. Spend a few hours going through the very good and helpful FAQ section of this board and use the search function. Almost everything has been covered at some point and time by now.

Good luck.

Common problems for 80s/90s technology cars would be the normal wear and tear items such as..

1) vtec solonoids leaking over time
2) OEM speakers going bad over time
3) Slow window motors
4) Drivers side immobolizer going out and having to activate or deactivate by using the key on the passengers side door.
5) Cracked sunvisors
6) Climate control unit going bad over time
7) Cracked interior parts with time

Overall its not a bad car but an 02-05 is where I would go if I were to buy another NSX. The NSX just didnt suit my tastes (as I thought it would) but thousands of people love the car. I am just not one of them coming from and driving a 91 and 05 NSX.

Deals Gap said:
Just wondering what are some common problems of owning an NSX?

I was told that electrical issues are common?

People constantly staring and taking pictures.

Everyone asking you if it's a new car.

Having to pay less than a $100 for an oil change while still driving an exotic.

Having to drive it everyday and enjoy doing so while not having breakdowns.

Electrical ????? maybe just the sparks it gives you when you look at it.:biggrin:

EndlessNSX said:
Common problems for 80s/90s technology cars would be the normal wear and tear items such as..

1) vtec solonoids leaking over time
2) OEM speakers going bad over time
3) Slow window motors
4) Drivers side immobolizer going out and having to activate or deactivate by using the key on the passengers side door.
5) Cracked sunvisors
6) Climate control unit going bad over time
7) Cracked interior parts with time

Overall its not a bad car but an 02-05 is where I would go if I were to buy another NSX. The NSX just didnt suit my tastes (as I thought it would) but thousands of people love the car. I am just not one of them coming from and driving a 91 and 05 NSX.

The list of things to watch out for others have posted is consistant with everything I have seen. Might add though, 1) Tires (can be pricey, replace frequently depending on alignment specs and use) and 2) clutches - life varies widely on owner/useage and CAN last upwards of 100k miles, but are very expensive to replace. If you know you burn clutches typically, expect to buy a new one every 30-50k miles at about $2500.

Best post I read was on the "intangibles" of daily driving an NSX. Attention, theft potential (actually fairly low), and parking lot paranoia are all considerations. Routine things like parking can become a big hassle. Just something to keep in mind.

Overall, I wouldn't trade it for...well, I'd trade it for an Enzo, but that's about it. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Another BAD problem with owning an nsx:

Strangers/people have this stupid tendency to just plain touch and put their hands all over the car. Looking is with eyes, not hands.

Have a look at the FAQ first for the technical side. Most of the points are not worth mentioning them because they can be fixed for a few bucks.
Since we're talking about a 15 year old car I don't see a 'PROBLEM' with it (except for snap-ring). You'd better turn your question around by asking what problems the NSX DOES NOT HAVE (in comparison to other cars).
For example: tire life is NOT a problem as it's not a problem of the NSX but rather more of every mid-engine-setup.

Deals Gap said:
Just wondering what are some common problems of owning an NSX?

I was told that electrical issues are common?

Electrical issues common in comparison to what? Certainly not common compared to any German, Italian, Korean or American car. I don't know why someone would say that. Try owning an Audi or a new MB S class and then talk to me about electrical issues. I can tell you all about BMW iDrive's not working right, gremlins out the wazoo in my Audi's, and the myriad of problems that existed in my Mercedes CL600.

These are cars with "common" electrical issues... if someone says its common in the NSX they just don't know what they are talking about.

TURBO2GO said:
These are cars with "common" electrical issues... if someone says its common in the NSX they just don't know what they are talking about.

You have just officially received the "TURBO2GO" smackdown!:biggrin: LoL just kidding!

Back